The Avenue

monsoon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think mainly because the people who are creating small businesses in this city mostly do those types of businesses. It is hard to get people doing boutique businesses that do as many things as we think of in bigger cities. Restaurants are a good thing for now, as they really do bring people in, retain people who work here during the day, and support the residents that tend to eat out more than average people.

That is good information, but why is drywall better than exposed concrete? Couldn't you just paint the concrete if the coloration is off? I think part of living in a highrise condo is to have a unique living experience that is different than a standard home. If they make the ceilings out of concrete, then that is the ceiling. Old houses have wooden ceilings. Standard SFHs have drywall ceilings. I think with Novare, you get a lower price, and you can expect them to cut reasonable corners to avoid expense.

I'm not physically looking at it, or I might feel the same way. But I know I've lived in quite a few homes (outside this country) that had all walls and ceilings being basically painted concrete. Other than hanging pictures, I'm don't think there were any negatives to having the concrete construction. (Also, if you've ever had them add drywall after you've moved in, it is not something that will be fun, especially ceilings. They drip drywall mud all over the place and there is a lot of dust).

I'm also a little stumped at the dry cleaners. There are already several within a few blocks of that site. I'm sure they'll do business -- they'll have several hundred potential customers upstairs -- but I would think that there are a lot of niches left unfilled uptown that would turn a bigger profit.

From what I understand it is due to the limited availability of using a single law firm for the closings, schedules of staff for the walkthroughs, and scheduling of the freight elevator.

There has been an issue with Novare rescheduling dates and not contacting tenants with the new dates. If you are a future tenant you will want to make sure you stay on top of Novare.

Apparently walkthroughs are not going well at all and are holding up the process. People are showing up for their walkthrough and the units are not finished. Some walls have not been skimmed, corners cut, etc.

The ceilings have been a huge point of contention for many of the tenants. The resemble nothing of the exposed concrete ceilings of Cotton Mills and others who have done the same. I have seen several, and in my opinion they look absolutely horrible. I personally am going to request they be addressed by Novare. I will most likely have mine dry-walled and am going to ask that Novare help with the cost.

Please know that I am not trying to be negative - I am very excited about moving in. The common areas are unreal and the building is gorgeous. Just wanted folks to know what to expect so they are suprised.

I'll chime in here on the ceiling issue.

In our unit, the concrete itself does not look that bad, but there is construction scribble on the ceiling that was never cleaned up. Some of it appears to have bled off of the plywood forms, as the writing is backwards. While I don't expect the color to be perfectly even, there are several splotches of different shades of gray on the ceiling as well.

Novare is working on sanding the ceiling to remove the writing, but even if that works, I don't think I'll be 100% sold on the look.

I would love to hear ideas of what others have done (or seen done) with exposed concrete ceilings.

I think that is the whole point. If you plan to make a lot of custom changes, then just buy elsewhere. It seems incredibly wastefully to plan to redo so much when other companies offer the customizations. I could see redoing somethings, but things like tile are expensive enough to change, I just don't follow why it would be a good idea to change it. I changed some things in my place, and so I understand the impulse, but I changed things that were outright bad, I kept other things I wouldn't have selected myself, but is perfectly fine.

I'm not really trying to discourage you from making a place like this your home however you need to do it, but I just hope that this isn't happening in too many of these units. Chances are it is probably a polished stone shipped here from the four corners of the earth, and if 300 people go in and rip that out only 2 months after installation just to change the color or type of stone, is kind of crazy.

I think people felt free to make these instant changes as they pleased, because they expected 5-15% appreciation per year to cover it. While we might actually see that still, you can certainly not feel confident of that these days. Just an observation. Both my green sides are horrified by this prospect.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying, I was getting a little worried.

As for the time to move people in, if memory serves, Courtside also phased out the closings based on when they finished the floors. I knew a few people who bought there that kept having closing pushed out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed the buzz uptown around the Avenue opening?

Since move ins have started there just seems to be a excitement generated all over the uptown area centered around the Avenue. It very well could be that it was something started by 230 and then Trademark with the Avenue reaping the rewards. Maybe it's just that there's that many more people instantly living uptown.

I can't quite place my finger on it but I've noticed a positive vibe around the opening of Avenue.

Bravo Novare!

Has anyone else noticed the buzz uptown around the Avenue opening?

Since move ins have started there just seems to be a excitement generated all over the uptown area centered around the Avenue. It very well could be that it was something started by 230 and then Trademark with the Avenue reaping the rewards. Maybe it's just that there's that many more people instantly living uptown.

I can't quite place my finger on it but I've noticed a positive vibe around the opening of Avenue.

Bravo Novare!

I'm curious how the soundproofing is between units? There has been some concern that Novare's projects have not performed well with sound dampening and you could here everything your neighbor does. One of my big reasons for wanting to get out of living in an apt. building was because of the privacy. I hated not being able to play music or listen to movies with the volume turned up. Especially base, I had to get rid of my subwoofer on my home theatre system when I lived in an apt. (I love listening to movies with the volume cranked...) Anyone have experience with this in Avenue, or any of the other condo towers uptown?

Concrete towers are much much different than wood apartments, so I highly doubt there will be many sound complaints at Ave, but it is possible. I have lived in a concrete construction condo/apartment tower before and never heard any neighbors until they renovated the one above us and pulled out the jackhammer.

As for the buzz, I haven't heard any myself, but that is great if it is. When the people are out and about and start spreading the 'story' of uptown living and of highrise living, I think that individual perceptions will change one at a time.

I guess that's inevitable. Is this considered a part of "URBAN LIVING"?

My current Balcony at the Cotton Mills faces Can's and during the summer months there is a constant roar from their upper balcony on Fri/Sat night. Fortunately, I'm still at the point where most nights I'm either getting ready to go out, already out, or it motivates me to get up and go out. Other than that I wear headphones and watch TV.

I guess that's inevitable. Is this considered a part of "URBAN LIVING"?

My current Balcony at the Cotton Mills faces Can's and during the summer months there is a constant roar from their upper balcony on Fri/Sat night. Fortunately, I'm still at the point where most nights I'm either getting ready to go out, already out, or it motivates me to get up and go out. Other than that I wear headphones and watch TV.

Archived