The Avenue

monsoon

Agreed with all Dubone just said. I didn't mind the exposed concrete either, my only complaint was the lines that show between the plywood. I would prefer they were sanded down or chisled away. The building was great though, I'm sure those of you who purchased their will enjoy your new home.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that if you could just put up some beams that cover all the seams, it migh be a cool look, while retaining the concrete, but finish it more. I guess the positive is that each has their own chance to keep it or change it, rather than every single person getting a drywall ceiling.

I would hope, though, that they do a better job with it on Catalyst if this is their trademark. Couldn't they roll out a membrane or something to smooth it out a bit more. The other thing, is they could use particle board rather than plywood to prevent those weird eye shapes popping up everywhere. We could probably tell what they are actually doing already.

I was also there on Sunday around 2:30ish. I was very impressed with the views. Balconies a little scary in the wind ^_^ . Very nice common areas also. I'm pretty sure they made a television company very wealthy, as mentioned before, flatscreens occupy a wall in every space. The smallest unit was laid out nicely and finished well, but too small for me personally. All of the rest of them were also what I expected (great views, nice finishes). A great place to live for sure. The ceilings weren't too bad, but I would demand they get the writing off of them at the very least (several markings in each room at the former corners of forms). I like Dubone's idea about the beams also. All in all, it made me very excited to see Catalyst and Twelve join the ranks of Charlotte.

At least looking at the teaser, it appears that Channel 9 is going to bust The Avenue for re-filling it's pool (it's winter) which is against the water restrictions that we now have in Mecklenburg. They flew their helicopter over the Avenue and took photos of it being re-filled and plan to present it on their news this evening.

At least looking at the teaser, it appears that Channel 9 is going to bust The Avenue for re-filling it's pool (it's winter) which is against the water restrictions that we now have in Mecklenburg. They flew their helicopter over the Avenue and took photos of it being re-filled and plan to present it on their news this evening.

The CMUD website says "Refilling ANY swimming pools is not allowed (topping off is still OK)." I guess some people feel they are above the law.

For water meters larger than 1.5 inches (typically commercial) the penalty for first offense is $200, second is $400, subsequent offenses are $600 each.

When they filled the pool the first time, there were some comments that they likely got a permit to do it as part of the construction process. Is it possible that they did this again or that they just don't care about a $200 fine?

It doesn't make sense that they'd do it, though. They are also running their wall fountain in the lobby. Perhaps they didn't get the memo that we might run out of drinking water this year.

Did anyone see the news special on it?

From the way I've read the rules, there are no exceptions when it comes to filling pools. The only variances are allowed if you have to water your yard as part of a contract for a sale. I'm sure a lot of people see it as this is a luxury building that must have it's luxury amenities for their luxury tenants.

From the CMUD website:

Since September 26, 2007, the amended water use restrictions in Mecklenburg are as follows:

* Lawn watering and the operation of any sprinkler system are prohibited at all times.

* The operation of ornamental fountains (without fish) is not allowed.

* Residential car washing.

* Refilling ANY swimming pools is not allowed (topping off is still OK)

Variances may be issued only for irrigation of newly installed landscapes at newly constructed properties with the following guidelines:

Then this seems to be a case of ineffective fines. I hold that there needs to be a punitive system of fees or fines when water is less adundant. $200 is not going to keep a 400 unit tower from filling their pool.

Ironically, though, Avenue is probably saving significantly more water over what 90% of the city uses for washing their clothes, as it only accepts front loading washing machines. It also has no lawn to speak of. From the big picture perspective, Avenue is likely doing more to save water than is wasted by filling the pool.

That said, they'd save more water by waiting to fill that pool.

These are all in all good points, but when the Avenue is desperately trying to sell units, an empty pool looks less tempting. We all want downtown to grow and expand, build new towers, and bring more retail in....if this is the case it's important that the Building sell or we'll will continue to hear complaints about how boring our center city is...

Avenue received a permit; the waterfall is indoors and doesn't experience the same rate of evaporation as an outdoor waterfall.

Yes, I admit, I live in the building, but my green side understands the greater good of getting these units sold and the building filled. Our overall impact and footprint is miniscle compared to those of you with a full sized home. My heater has come on maybe a handful of times in the last month, my washing machine is front loaded and is designed for water conservation as is the puny, child-sized toilet....

As for the luxury building for luxury tenants...come on, have you been inside, I bet my unit is smaller than your garage. :)

Same here...I have to open the door just to help regulate the temp from getting too warm...it's great not using so much energy (see lower electric bill). Love your building's balcony's by the way...

Oh and I retract my statement about the Permit....they had an initial one, but had drain the pool to repair it from damage and simply refilled without checking to see if they needed a new permit. I still understand the reasons why...if the unit was in the hands of the Condo Association it probably wouldn't of gotten filled, but the owners are still trying to sell units...

• 4 weeks later...

The best thing about the Avenue is the amenities.

Yet I still cannot grasp the concept of paying almost $300 a month in homeowner's dues for these wonderful amenities and every time I go to use them they are reserved for a "private function." How does a "private function" benefit me? Please tell me why I am spending so much money for these wonderful amenities that I am continually told I cannot use?

Yet I still cannot grasp the concept of paying almost $300 a month in homeowner's dues for these wonderful amenities and every time I go to use them they are reserved for a "private function." How does a "private function" benefit me? Please tell me why I am spending so much money for these wonderful amenities that I am continually told I cannot use?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have some more information about the retail spots at Avenue:

The convenience store will be called The Avenue Market and will offer staple grocery items, beer, wine, and fresh food such as deli sandwiches, sushi, smoothies, and non-fat yogurt.

The retail spot on the corner will be an upscale Thai restaurant with a full-service bar called Basil (they also have a location in Charleston). Sounds like great news to me; there is not a Thai restaurant uptown currently. Anyone been to the Basil in Charleston?

Archived