IN PROGRESS: The Residences at The Westin

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody who's of a mind should definitely take a walk down there and check things out in person. Now that the building is up about 7-8 stories you get a pretty good idea of the streetscape. I know there are no finished details, but the "weight" of the building is definitely there. This really adds to the intersection there. (I'm sure it's a square of some sort!)

Anybody who's of a mind should definitely take a walk down there and check things out in person. Now that the building is up about 7-8 stories you get a pretty good idea of the streetscape. I know there are no finished details, but the "weight" of the building is definitely there. This really adds to the intersection there. (I'm sure it's a square of some sort!)

I drive be everyday, and watch the webcam online, and I can't believe the speed of this project. Talk about being on the fast track! :shades: I think the schedule will be met on this one. :thumbsup: It appears that not much work was required on the foundation, since everything has happened so quickly.

I came across a new render that shows the Westin add on very well . Whats interesting is the intersection in the render has also been completely redesigned. (notice the fountain ) Its hard to tell how much is fact or fiction but it does look great.

I uploaded a super sized copy here: Large Render

A smaller version is below:

westinsmall.jpg

They erased the ProJo addition so that you can see the base, the base would be blocked in the view normally. You can see that the triangular island that defines the U-Turn lane is still there, that will surely go when Emmet Square is redesigned. I'm all for the ProJo addition being erased though.

i can't wait for this building to be up... it's a great looking building and will add substance to the current tower.

i also hope they re-do that intersection. i HATE it. it always gets backed up because it's treated like a 4 way intersection, but people coming up fountain st trying to get to francis st, can't see around the corner and end up stuck in the intersection because of people stuck at the francis st light at memorial blvd. it's awful. it's also hell for pedestrians.

I think it's going to really make the Francis Streetscape look so much more urban. I especially like how Francis Street slopes down into the Westin. Until now, The Westin Hotel has always sorta been obscured and hidden by the enormous mall, even from the other side of the street.

Along the same idea I like the spacing between Westin I and Westin II from this angle. Close enough to add weight but distant enough to be separate (but equal :P )

I just noticed this rendering today at the site. Nothing earth-shattering, but it's the first view I've seen of the building from the north:

Another thought is that G-tech looks like not much more than a glorified smudge on the landscape in contrast to the larger more ornate buildings.

You mean the one I posted a while back? I don't think it was ever on the website. I noticed it on the pedestrian fencing at the construction site, and took a picture because I hadn't seen it anywhere online.

After the image appeared here, I saved a copy of it off their website. It ... it was there, I swear it. :huh:

I took these this afternoon, I should have taken them earlier in the day, because now the sun is in a bad place, and there's too much haze in the air, but here they are anyway:

From Benefit at Waterman Street:

2006-0727-westin001.jpg

From Thomas Street, just north of North Main:

2006-0727-westin002.jpg

Just wondering, when will we see some of the facade going up? (I'm completely clueless when it comes to construction)

This building has a poured concrete skeleton reinforced with rebar, and that makes for a different set of building codes to follow. The concrete must sufficently harden first. Look closely at the pics and you'll see lots of yellow lollycolumns supporting the structure. Not until those are removed can the facade be built.

This building has a poured concrete skeleton reinforced with rebar, and that makes for a different set of building codes to follow. The concrete must sufficently harden first. Look closely at the pics and you'll see lots of yellow lollycolumns supporting the structure. Not until those are removed can the facade be built.

Some facade work has begun on the side of the building facing the current Westin. The large columns supporting the building now have an white facade over them.

Archived