IN-PROGRESS: "Iway" 195 Relocation/Wash. Bridge

Thanks. Like you said, India St. definitely needs some sort of development, but something would need to be done with the space below the highway as well, like your idea of glased-in retail (love it, by the way). If it is allowed to become underused space boxed in by buildings on India St, the Hurricane Barrier, and the highway, I could see it becoming a dangerously sketchy place where all sorts of things could go on out of sight.

Aside from the area between South Water and South Main it appears the rest of the highway sits on earth, i.e. it is not open beneath.

See the Live Local View to see what I mean.

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have commentary on Collier Point Park later, as a pedestrian, it won't be good <_<

I drove. :whistling:

The park itself was kind of a mess, as you noted in your commentary. But I would think they'd have some future plans down there. Are they planning to incorporate that space into the Dynamo House project at all? A riverwalk of some sort? I wondered about that while I was there this afternoon. With the two museums, it would make sense.

(have they given it an official name yet, BTW

IWay!

I assume you mean something like the Donald Carcieri Memorial Bridge, something along those lines. As far as I know, they haven't yet.

The Cardi Corp Memorial Bridge. Look, they've already got the signs in place. :rofl:

The park itself was kind of a mess, as you noted in your commentary. But I would think they'd have some future plans down there. Are they planning to incorporate that space into the Dynamo House project at all? A riverwalk of some sort? I wondered about that while I was there this afternoon. With the two museums, it would make sense.

IWay!

I think due to the layout of the Manchester Street Power Station and the Hurricane Barrier and security issues around the two, there won't be a direct connection along the water from Dynamo House to Collier Point. Below is a plan for the relocation I got a while back and scanned and colored in. The red lines represent where I think the riverwalks will go. THe West Bank will need to detour through Davol Square and down Eddy Street to Franklin Square.

OldHarborPlan-MASTER-color.jpg

I hate to say it, but I'm a bit underwhelmed myself. Looks like a slightly larger version of the Sackonnett River Bridge. If I remember correctly, the original sketches showed large pillars with big globe lights at each end of the bridge, which made it seem a lot nicer...

So that's it?

Ugly, small, and bland IMO

If I remember correctly, the original sketches showed large pillars with big globe lights at each end of the bridge, which made it seem a lot nicer...

Those are coming, you can see footings for them in some of my close up photos.

195sigbridge.jpg

This dosen't surprise me, coming from you, the one who says 110 won't be built. <_<

Just goes to show that some people will complain about anything. The Projo interactive feature already has the usual negative comments. The bridge looks awesome and will definitely be a Providence landmark.

Nice pics Cotuit!

I barely know that part of town (as I am sure is the case with most people...Collier Point Park? didn't even know it existed...)

The bridge is nice, but the most remarkable thing about it I think is how THIN the deck is...I have never seen a road deck that thin and spindly. Pretty cool.

Some usually cranky negative person at work said he likes the Zakim better. :rolleyes: He lives in Mass. so I just chalked it up to typical Massholishness (being a recovering Masshole I can call people that).

I like the Zakim better too, but I don't think it would have "fit" here. As glassandsteel alludes to, you don't really want something so architechturally significant that it dwarfs the actual city. Besides, I think the look of this bridge fits better for Providence's industrial past.

Collier Point Park? didn't even know it existed...

I've always been under the impression that it was a state park, but I can't find it listed on the state's park department website. It's actually a rather nice amenity for the city, but it is totally inaccessible, and pretty much has always been that way. I have hopes that that will change when the highway is complete and Allens Ave. is rebuilt in that area.

I like the Zakim better too, but I don't think it would have "fit" here. As glassandsteel alludes to, you don't really want something so architechturally significant that it dwarfs the actual city. Besides, I think the look of this bridge fits better for Providence's industrial past.

I think cable stayed bridges are soooo 1999. I too much prefer this design which harmonizes with the industrial flavor of the area, and the city in general. I also think anything other than this type of design would be over engineered for this location.

Now a cable stayed to replace the Sackonnet River Bridge would have been nice.

I still like it, it's all the emphasis 195 really deserves. Why have a bridge overwhelm a city? I think it's practical and elegant. I think it fits our style.

Well said.

It was inevitable that there would be comparisons to the Bunker Hill Bridge. But I don't think the two bridges answer the same purpose. Ours is a nice bridge. Theirs is a bridge that also happens to be one of the final and most visible touches of the Big Dig. For closure's sake, the Zakim Bridge had to be spectacular.

I don't think their bridge would work for us. I don't think our bridge would work for them. I like ours the way it is.

It was inevitable that there would be comparisons to the Bunker Hill Bridge. But I don't think the two bridges answer the same purpose. Ours is a nice bridge. Theirs is a bridge that also happens to be one of the final and most visible touches of the Big Dig. For closure's sake, the Zakim Bridge had to be spectacular.

I don't think their bridge would work for us. I don't think our bridge would work for them. I like ours the way it is.

Agreed... These two bridges are completely different in scope, purpose, and location. A wild design over the Providence River really would have detracted from the surrounding architectural diversity and splendor, not added to it. It fits the surrounding industrial theme. While I do like that "soooo 1999" cable stayed bridge design in general, I actually have always thought that the Zakim, as nice as it is, looks like it's trying too hard. I always thought that location in Boston called for something more elegant and less "Look at Me!".

That said, I am a touch disappointed in the look of our bridge. Gazing at early renderings and the early photos out of Quonset, I thought somehow the "three arch" aspect of the bridge would be more dramatic and obvious in person, something a looking a bit more designed and less just there to hold it up in appearance. Maybe I need to get closer to see, but I wish those three arches were somehow thicker and made more to stand out...

Overall, though, it's a beautiful complement to the Point Street Bridge especially (one of the photos above had a view from downtown of both bridges, and they look great together). I don't know who said the bridge is small... It's pretty big, and it'll be visible almost everywhere you're standing on or near a waterfront in the metro.

- Garris

PS: Now that that's done, who do we appeal to regarding cleaning up the graffiti on top of the Point St bridge, one of the biggest embarrassments in the metro. Is that a city or RIDOT bridge?

I still like it, it's all the emphasis 195 really deserves.

I like this sentiment. I'd like to see the glitz and razzmattazz be reserved for the possible new pedestrian bridge at the current 195 crossing. It will say a lot about our city's priorities when we have a restrained under stated bridge carrying our interstate, and a show-stopping design for pedestrians. That's assuming the pedestrian bridge gets built and has a show stopping design, neither of which is guaranteed.

That said, I am a touch disappointed in the look of our bridge. Gazing at early renderings and the early photos out of Quonset, I thought somehow the "three arch" aspect of the bridge would be more dramatic and obvious in person, something a looking a bit more designed and less just there to hold it up in appearance. Maybe I need to get closer to see, but I wish those three arches were somehow thicker and made more to stand out...

I'm really liking the slender feel of the arches. I didn't realize how slender the wires between the arches and the bridge deck would be. When the jacks come out it will almost look as if there is this one slender arch bounding across the river (as seen head-on from the side). It looks really slick from Point Street. From other oblique angles the arches will mingle with each other. I think if they were much thicker (or more substantial) that mingling of the arches wouldn't look as good.

I'm really liking the slender feel of the arches. I didn't realize how slender the wires between the arches and the bridge deck would be. When the jacks come out it will almost look as if there is this one slender arch bounding across the river (as seen head-on from the side). It looks really slick from Point Street.

That is the kind of perspective I haven't had yet... I'll hold on final judgement until I've seen it from more angles.

- Garris

I'd like to see the glitz and razzmattazz be reserved for the possible new pedestrian bridge at the current 195 crossing. It will say a lot about our city's priorities when we have a restrained under stated bridge carrying our interstate, and a show-stopping design for pedestrians.

Exactly. And I really hope we go nuts on the pedestrian bridge. :lol:

forgive me for being lazy and not walking there myself... but has the riverwalk extention down towards the new bridge been completed yet?

No, it won't be for a while, there's still a lot of work going on down there and heavy machinery.

Archived