IN-PROGRESS: "Iway" 195 Relocation/Wash. Bridge

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

State DOT to float bridge up bay from Quonset [ProJo.com 7to7 Newsblog]

PROVIDENCE -- The state Department of Transportation is scheduled to hold a news conference today to discuss its plan to bring a 1,200-foot bridge to Providence from South County for the Interstate 195 relocation project.

I-195 bridge will sail up Bay to final home this month [ProJo.com 7to7 Newsblog]

The new Providence River Bridge is expected to sail up Narragansett Bay and into Providence on Aug. 23, as long as the weather is right.

Garris, put in for time off now, we want your photos. On second thought though, photos from the Hospital would probably rock, can you get someone to clean the windows there? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

From the Projo Blog (8/11/06):

Update: DOT kicks off Providence River Bridge movement

Rhode Island Department of Transportation officials will hold a kickoff press event today as they gear up to tow the 5.5-million-pound Providence River Bridge up Narragansett Bay and into place.

The bridge is the signature structure of the Interstate 195 relocation project.

The DOT initially planned to begin lifting the bridge into place tomorrow. However, due to some materials being held up in customs, they now plan to lift the bridge into place next Tuesday and actually move it to Providence on Aug. 21 or Aug. 22.

Today

From the Projo Blog (8/11/06):

Update: DOT kicks off Providence River Bridge movement

Rhode Island Department of Transportation officials will hold a kickoff press event today as they gear up to tow the 5.5-million-pound Providence River Bridge up Narragansett Bay and into place.

The bridge is the signature structure of the Interstate 195 relocation project.

The DOT initially planned to begin lifting the bridge into place tomorrow. However, due to some materials being held up in customs, they now plan to lift the bridge into place next Tuesday and actually move it to Providence on Aug. 21 or Aug. 22.

Today

I can see the graffiti " artists" watching the arrival of this one from the hills of Providence. The India Point extension is already defaced with tons of graffiti much like the newly painted Point Street Bridge. I still don't understand how somebody managed to climb the Point Street bridge and do that huge tag that's a least 7'x5'....It had to at least taken him a good hour on that one...

There was something on the news a few weeks ago about how the concrete abuttments for the relocated 195 have been treated or are somehow designed to be grafitti resistant. The material can recieve a tag, but something about it makes it easier to remove, no extreme powerwashing, no odd patches of grey paint. I assume it remains on the constuction site because its not a high priority for construction crews, but once complete, hopefully we won't see as many tags down there.

I can see the graffiti " artists" watching the arrival of this one from the hills of Providence. The India Point extension is already defaced with tons of graffiti much like the newly painted Point Street Bridge. I still don't understand how somebody managed to climb the Point Street bridge and do that huge tag that's a least 7'x5'....It had to at least taken him a good hour on that one...

if they had been working instead of spray painting........i wont go any further than that

I have to say that I was tooling around Boston on foot last week, and the difference of taking down the elevated highway is huge. I know the big Dig had all sorts of problems but seeing that city reconnected (especially the North End) I almost feel it was worth it even without traffic improvement. I know the IWay isn't quite as significant, but I have hopes for similar results.

I know the IWay isn't quite as significant, but I have hopes for similar results.

Considering the size of Providence and the current location of 195, this will have very similar results. If you factor in the burying of powerlines, this clears a lot of vital space and reconnects whole sections of the city. I'm surprised that we're blessed with a development boom AND the moving of 195 in the same decade, nevermind at the same time.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good vantage point for seeing the bridge pulling up to its new home (hopefully on Friday)? I'd like to take the younguns, so perhaps not the Hot Bar! :D

I was thinking about that myself. I get out of work at 1pm on Fridays was thinking I'd walk down there. I'm going to fly around with LiveLocal a bit and try to figure it out. Problem with that though is there are a lot of closings and such since the LiveLocal images were taken, so I may be wandering about aimlessly trying to find a good way to the Waterfront.

One idea is near the Russian Sub, though the sidewalks through that part of Allens Ave. are annoyingly closed and they haven't as far as I've seen made any way for pedestrians to get there. :(

Archived