Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

2 hours ago, grodney said:

Picked up two 4-packs of cans at Sycamore.  They're charging $12 for their 5.1% Southern Girl Blonde, and $14 for their 7.2% Peak Farm Double Pale.  Ridiculous.  Compare the $12 Southern Girl to CAVU, Golden Boy, (Pre-Game), as well as Jalapeno, Jam Session, Lazy Bird, etc ---- all of those are 2-3 dollars cheaper.  And the $14 for Peak Farm is specialty pricing on a normal beer.  Hell, I pay $11 for 7.2% Hop Drop everyday pricing.  

I guess the market will speak.  Count me out.

Yikes.  Sycamore's beer isn't good enough to warrant those prices.  I will also pass.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Yikes.  Sycamore's beer isn't good enough to warrant those prices.  I will also pass.

Almost spent 22 dollars on a 6 pack of Bells Hop Slam last night. Poor grocery store manager got an earful about ripping people off. I miss the simple days of College, where I would pay 5.49 for a 12 pack of Pabst. 

Thankfully they had a 6 pack of Habanero Sculpin marked down to 12 dollars (usually 19), so I got that instead. 

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Almost spent 22 dollars on a 6 pack of Bells Hop Slam last night. Poor grocery store manager got an earful about ripping people off. I miss the simple days of College, where I would pay 5.49 for a 12 pack of Pabst. 

AKA.. "HypeSlam" ... Over hyped and over priced. Especially if you're paying $22 for it!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grodney said:

Picked up two 4-packs of cans at Sycamore.  They're charging $12 for their 5.1% Southern Girl Blonde, and $14 for their 7.2% Peak Farm Double Pale.  Ridiculous.  Compare the $12 Southern Girl to CAVU, Golden Boy, (Pre-Game), as well as Jalapeno, Jam Session, Lazy Bird, etc ---- all of those are 2-3 dollars cheaper.  And the $14 for Peak Farm is specialty pricing on a normal beer.  Hell, I pay $11 for 7.2% Hop Drop everyday pricing.  

I guess the market will speak.  Count me out.

I'm a big Sycamore and South End beer fan in general and find myself there all the time.  I think you're forgetting that everything on Sycamore's board reflects a final price after tax is added.  The way it crunches, Peak Farm is actually cheaper than Hop Drop in most places.  ...and Cavu doesn't count since it sucks.  

Edited by NeverSummer

13 hours ago, NeverSummer said:

I'm a big Sycamore and South End beer fan in general and find myself there all the time.  I think you're forgetting that everything on Sycamore's board reflects a final price after tax is added.  The way it crunches, Peak Farm is actually cheaper than Hop Drop in most places.  ...and Cavu doesn't count since it sucks.  

Is that common core math because I'm confused? After tax, an $11.99 4-pack of Hop Drop is $12.87.  $12.87 < $14

Also, Sycamore is charging $2.75 more (after tax) for Peak Farms than Total Wine is charging.  $11.25 vs $14.

19 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Is that common core math because I'm confused? After tax, an $11.99 4-pack of Hop Drop is $12.87.  $12.87 < $14

Also, Sycamore is charging $2.75 more (after tax) for Peak Farms than Total Wine is charging.  $11.25 vs $14.

Ha. Something funny over arguing about cents...  I thought Hop Drop was usually around $13 pre tax.  Not too fussed, but just wanted to clarify why I said that.

14 hours ago, HopHead said:

NoDa released images of their upcoming Par 4 cans which will be released soon... I dig it..

I like them.  And I also like the beer.  Excited for this one --- hoping for a huge batch off their new system.  

And although I'm embarrassingly deep into disc golf, I don't get the sloth --- is there a reference I'm missing?  Or is it just cute?  Or some tie to slow lazy frisbee hippies?

3 minutes ago, grodney said:

I like them.  And I also like the beer.  Excited for this one --- hoping for a huge batch off their new system.  

And although I'm embarrassingly deep into disc golf, I don't get the sloth --- is there a reference I'm missing?  Or is it just cute?  Or some tie to slow lazy frisbee hippies?

"Sloth" in frisbee golf refers to when a disc is stuck .. :)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Higgs Boson said:

There seriously needs to be more Charlotte breweries canning stouts.  Unknown Silverback is the only canned Charlotte stout, right?

Was super excited when Mexicali Stout was canned, but then super bummed when it was only a limited release.

Silverback is also seasonal, so get it while you can.

CocoLoco* is an excellent year-round option.  Benford Oyster Stout is from ~10 miles south of Charlotte, and it's a good local-ish option --- not sure of its seasonality.  But yeah, more would be good!

*I'm aware CocoLoco is a porter, but there's very little differentiating stouts and porters --- do a google search if you haven't read the *numerous* articles already done on the subject.  Hell, Lazy Bird drinks like some commercial "stouts", and is an excellent presumably year-round addition to the #cltbeer canning scene.

Edited by grodney

35 minutes ago, Higgs Boson said:

There seriously needs to be more Charlotte breweries canning stouts.  Unknown Silverback is the only canned Charlotte stout, right?

Was super excited when Mexicali Stout was canned, but then super bummed when it was only a limited release.

Noda is developing a coffee stout (to be debuted at Brawleys Black and Blue next weekend).  I am betting they have their eye on canning this one, at least as a seasonal like Hop Cakes. Charlotte is seriously deprived of bottled/canned stouts in general. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, grodney said:

Silverback is also seasonal, so get it while you can.

CocoLoco* is an excellent year-round option.  Benford Oyster Stout is from ~10 miles south of Charlotte, and it's a good local-ish option --- not sure of its seasonality.  But yeah, more would be good!

*I'm aware CocoLoco is a porter, but there's very little differentiating stouts and porters --- do a google search if you haven't read the *numerous* articles already done on the subject.  Hell, Lazy Bird drinks like some commercial "stouts", and is an excellent presumably year-round addition to the #cltbeer canning scene.

Oooo, Grodney, you and I may have to go to war over this one.  I refuse to believe a stout and a porter belong together.

6 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Oooo, Grodney, you and I may have to go to war over this one.  I refuse to believe a stout and a porter belong together.

Yea, I'm with you as well ah.. I don't think Stouts and Porters are one in the same either. I've seen the arguments, but I don't buy it either. Very distinct in my opinion, even though some breweries try to make the styles so they can be one or the other. 

48 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Anyone have the Juicy J at Legion recently and think something was off? I had it on two occasions in their first two weeks of being open and thought it was great, but have had it twice in the last month and it's been flat out awful. 

Oh no!  That was going to be one of the main reasons I was going to try and make it over to Instabeerup tonight.  I had only heard good things about the Juicy J till now.

Went to Good Bottle last night and really enjoyed the Bring Back the Buzz Honey Pale Ale by Sycamore.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

15 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Get over to Legion if they have their Russian Imperial Stout still on.   There ain't no thinking that is interchangeable with a porter. Big roasty goodness!

Good grief.

So anyway, anybody have Hop Cakes yet?  How's it tasting this year?  I have a retailer that's supposed to be saving me a 4-pack...I hope he comes through.  The one negative to living on the south side and taking the train uptown is that I need uber or something to get up to NoDa and Birdsong for these special releases. 

9 minutes ago, grodney said:

Good grief.

So anyway, anybody have Hop Cakes yet?  How's it tasting this year?  I have a retailer that's supposed to be saving me a 4-pack...I hope he comes through.  The one negative to living on the south side and taking the train uptown is that I need uber or something to get up to NoDa and Birdsong for these special releases. 

I had Hop Cakes at the brewery last weekend.. It was great. Seemed to go down easier for me than in years past (could have been me being so eager to drink one too). I need to get some cans as well. This and Hoppy Holidays are my two of my favorite local seasonal releases. 

2 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Went to Good Bottle last night and really enjoyed the Bring Back the Buzz Honey Pale Ale by Sycamore.

I was up there last night too... I actually really liked that brew. Hope they make more of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly sure where this goes but since it is at brewery but Sycamore's Food Truck Friday plans have been greatly altered.

• In the course of our ongoing conversations, never have we wanted to draw a line in the sand or butt heads with city officials or our neighbors, all of which have helped make our brewery what it is today. As such we have thoughtfully decided to significantly scale down our version of Food TruckFriday. We appreciate that while this may a disappointment to some, we believe we have found a really great middle ground for the community. Our neighbors will no longer be inundated with parking and occupancy concerns, our ABC permit will not be jeopardized, and most importantly, we will be able to best control and enhance our environment for the event itself.  We plan to focus more on our core crowd – our regular friends and neighbors. We plan to invite four to five exceptional food trucks, those trucks founded on consistent, excellent food. We plan to keep our attention on a more intimate environment focused on quality. What once, in planning, involved our lot being entirely closed down to public parking and fully occupied by food trucks, will now be segmented with very necessary parking and an expanded beer garden, complete with Munich-style beer garden tables, live music, remote beer bars, and those select trucks who are able to better focus on our core crowd.

http://sycamorebrew.com/happenings/2016/3/4/food-truck-friday-a-fresh-take

^ I mean, its fine and all and perfectly understandable given the circumstances, but its not the city's Food Truck Friday anymore. It's Sycamore having a slightly bigger Friday. 

Maybe 3-4 smaller friday food truck gatherings across different neighborhoods IS a better overall plan though, and it seems like that's whats happening. Perhaps we could get a monthly larger food truck festival somewhere in or near uptown?