Carolina Panthers

Won't Goodell suspend him?  Seems like he has done that before in other such cases.

Depends....it might be early enough that he won't. People have SUCH short attention spans, and as long as it goes out of the news cycle by camp and stuff....he should be fine. Everyone pretends to care while its in the news cycle, but once it leaves its like it never happened.

Not trying to protect him, but a jury trial will be after the season.  I do think that is a better assessment than a single judge.  However, it does seem pretty shady, of Hardy, that this judge was convinced that Hardy was guilty after what he saw yesterday.

Edited by MilZ

• 1 month later...

Ah, the NFL season is finally upon us. Some pundits have the Panthers winning the division which is a joke and absolutely hysterical. I will give them a VERY generous 9-7 (more inclined to go 7-9, but I am hopeful for a few lucky wins), what does everyone else think?

At the very least, they will certainly be better than my Browns will be.

Edited by Jayvee

Ah, the NFL season is finally upon us. Some pundits have the Panthers winning the division which is a joke and absolutely hysterical. I will give them a VERY generous 9-7 (more inclined to go 7-9, but I am hopeful for a few lucky wins), what does everyone else think?

I think they will defy the jerks at ESPN, the odds and their very challenging schedule and come out 10-6.

I think they will defy the jerks at ESPN, the odds and their very challenging schedule and come out 10-6.

omg if they can go 10-6.............I would happily eat my words. I don't particularly enjoy admitting I am wrong, but I would be MORE than happy to if they go 10-6....its just not that good of a team. That was one of the worst 12-4 teams I have ever seen last year, and they only got worse.

Edited by Jayvee

What pundits are you referring to? I haven't come across anyone that actually thinks the Panthers will win the division. At least not in the media. All you hear is Saints this, Saints that. That being said, I have a hard time believing the Panthers will win the division again. I think 10-6 and a wild card is doable though. So long as Cam doesn't get injured.

omg if they can go 10-6.............I would happily eat my words. I don't particularly enjoy admitting I am wrong, but I would be MORE than happy to if they go 10-6....its just not that good of a team. That was one of the worst 12-4 teams I have ever seen last year, and they only got worse.

I don't think they got worse. I think that once the Receivers gel, and once we start bringing 2 tight end sets and letting Benjamin loose on the field we are going to be nearly impossible to defend. Think about what Cam did with Shockey and Olsen, we would have won a few extra games if we had a defense that year. That's 3 guys over 6'4" not even the Legion of Doom can cover that. 

I think our receivers are a net positive over last year and we added another pass catching Tight End. 

Edited by Guest

What pundits are you referring to? I haven't come across anyone that actually thinks the Panthers will win the division. At least not in the media. All you hear is Saints this, Saints that. That being said, I have a hard time believing the Panthers will win the division again. I think 10-6 and a wild card is doable though. So long as Cam doesn't get injured.

Jeffri Chadiha, Greg Garber, Tania Ganguli and Josh Weinfus to name some. And there is good reason for Saints this and that, they will absolutely win the division haha. While a wild card slot is nice, if they somehow manage to snag it, no way they win it. But hey, playoffs are playoffs! 

I don't think they got worse. I think that once the Receivers gel, and once we start bringing 2 tight end sets and letting Benjamin loose on the field we are going to be nearly impossible to defend. Think about what Cam did with Shockey and Olsen, we would have won a few extra games if we had a defense that year. That's 3 guys over 6'4" not even the Legion of Doom can cover that. 

I think our receivers are a net positive over last year and we added another pass catching Tight End. 

I am not so much concerned about that as I am Cam's  healthy, the absolutely ATROCIOUS secondary and the sketchy line.

Jeffri Chadiha, Greg Garber, Tania Ganguli and Josh Weinfus to name some. And there is good reason for Saints this and that, they will absolutely win the division haha. While a wild card slot is nice, if they somehow manage to snag it, no way they win it. But hey, playoffs are playoffs! 

I am not so much concerned about that as I am Cam's  healthy, the absolutely ATROCIOUS secondary and the sketchy line.

I have to be honest. I follow football like it's my second or third job, but I have no idea who Tania Ganguli or Josh Weinfus are. A few people may be picking the Panthers but they are far from the trendy pick at all. Majority of writers expect them to take a step back. Saints are there because of their offense. They are almost guaranteed 8 wins at year at home because of the Superdome (I really hate domes).

The Panthers survived just fine last year with a patchwork secondary. As long as the front seven is near what it was last year, that defense will have another solid year. 

I have to be honest. I follow football like it's my second or third job, but I have no idea who Tania Ganguli or Josh Weinfus are. A few people may be picking the Panthers but they are far from the trendy pick at all. Majority of writers expect them to take a step back. Saints are there because of their offense. They are almost guaranteed 8 wins at year at home because of the Superdome (I really hate domes).

The Panthers survived just fine last year with a patchwork secondary. As long as the front seven is near what it was last year, that defense will have another solid year. 

They're nobodies, was just using that as a preface to state how I think the Panthers aren't gonna be that good this year.

You have to admit, the 5-11 projection in the Sports Illustrated football preview article is a bit of an insult. We may take a step back, but SI is predicting us to be SEVEN games worse than last year.

I don't agree at all, but what gives? Does SI have something against the Panthers.

Edited by ajfunder

If you watch a lot of football, you know the difference between 10-6 and 6-10 is a play or two a game.  The Panthers maybe weren't as good as 12-4 last year.  Luke non-interference against the Pats, giant downpour in Charlotte with high-flying Saints in town so Brees can't even hold the ball, amazing comeback against Miami.  But yes, there's the other side too -- the Bills had no chance to drive the length of the field with a rookie QB and score a last-second touchdown to beat the Panthers -- but they did.

Two years ago the Panthers were 7-9.  How many times did they lead in the 4th quarter?  Before last year, what was their record under Rivera in games decided by 7 or fewer points?

This year?  I hope everyone stays healthy.  I hope the O-line gives the running backs some holes and gives Cam some time.  I hope the defense disrupts opposing offenses and creates turnovers.  I hope the kicking game is solid.  I hope the Panthers have the ball bounce their way more often than not.  I hope the Panthers finish games strong and smart.  I think the schedule is brutal (but who knows).  I hope for 10-6 or better and a playoff berth.  I'm not predicting anything, other than I'm going to love it no matter what.

• Like 2

If you watch a lot of football, you know the difference between 10-6 and 6-10 is a play or two a game.  The Panthers maybe weren't as good as 12-4 last year.  Luke non-interference against the Pats, giant downpour in Charlotte with high-flying Saints in town so Brees can't even hold the ball, amazing comeback against Miami.  But yes, there's the other side too -- the Bills had no chance to drive the length of the field with a rookie QB and score a last-second touchdown to beat the Panthers -- but they did.

Two years ago the Panthers were 7-9.  How many times did they lead in the 4th quarter?  Before last year, what was their record under Rivera in games decided by 7 or fewer points?

This year?  I hope everyone stays healthy.  I hope the O-line gives the running backs some holes and gives Cam some time.  I hope the defense disrupts opposing offenses and creates turnovers.  I hope the kicking game is solid.  I hope the Panthers have the ball bounce their way more often than not.  I hope the Panthers finish games strong and smart.  I think the schedule is brutal (but who knows).  I hope for 10-6 or better and a playoff berth.  I'm not predicting anything, other than I'm going to love it no matter what.

Very well said Grodney!

They're nobodies, was just using that as a preface to state how I think the Panthers aren't gonna be that good this year.

They're NFL quality athletes.  Cason has looked good, Roman Harper is established, DeCoud has experience, and White did enough last year. We also drafted a couple rookies with great upside.  After all the injuries early last season, our back 4 is probably a better look now than 3-4 weeks in last year.  Things can go either way, but "nobodies" is probably more appropriate for last year.

They're NFL quality athletes.  Cason has looked good, Roman Harper is established, DeCoud has experience, and White did enough last year. We also drafted a couple rookies with great upside.  After all the injuries early last season, our back 4 is probably a better look now than 3-4 weeks in last year.  Things can go either way, but "nobodies" is probably more appropriate for last year.

Nobodies was referencing the ESPN pundits that picked the Panthers to win the division, not the players.