Greenville Annexations

vicupstate

3 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I hear you, but you can also go ahead and assume that County Council personalities (and views) would be elected to the newly expanded City Council. No thank you. Greenville City has had an ideal bipartisan mix for years, creating the successful centrist city that is well governed. 

That’s a very valid point. 

15 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I hear you, but you can also go ahead and assume that County Council personalities (and views) would be elected to the newly expanded City Council. No thank you. Greenville City has had an ideal bipartisan mix for years, creating the successful centrist city that is well governed. 

Adding commercial properties would not change the population and by extension the council districts either.  It would take a very substantial annexation of residential properties to even have a minor impact on the makeof of council. The number of seats would not change.

Consolidation would be another matter. It would have a lot of benefits but there would be a clash of cultures so to speak.

13 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Adding commercial properties would not change the population and by extension the council districts either.  It would take a very substantial annexation of residential properties to even have a minor impact on the makeof of council. The number of seats would not change.

Consolidation would be another matter. It would have a lot of benefits but there would be a clash of cultures so to speak.

Well aware. Johnpro318 and I were strictly talking about county consolidation. 

2 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

This is the same district that was in the news not too long ago for some sort of scandal, right?

That was a different one. There are a lot of different fire districts, They need to consolidate them like they did with sewer.   

• 3 weeks later...

Cherrydale annexation received initial approval last night. I know we've seen numbers about the loss of revenue from the Parker District folks, but I have wondered about the financial upsides for the City of Greenville. The Greenville Journal has provided the following from last night's meeting:

...the projected tax savings for Cherrydale property owners is $69,200. 

The city’s projected revenue from Cherrydale is $503,000 in property taxes and $300,000 in business license tax revenue.

Pretty substantial influx for properties that don't require a lot of services, IMO. 

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Greenville CC Golf Course 131 acres

I wonder if this will lead to the city seeking annexation of Chanticleer. 

Hopefully the residents would be open to it or request it at some point (similar to Club Forest many years ago).

Annexation of the golf course at this time is to bring the Chanticleer course under one jurisdiction prior to a major course renovation. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 4:38 PM, GvilleSC said:

Hopefully the residents would be open to it or request it at some point (similar to Club Forest many years ago).

Annexation of the golf course at this time is to bring the Chanticleer course under one jurisdiction prior to a major course renovation. 

Greenville to annex Chanticleer Golf Course

City Council unanimously gave initial approval March 25 to a request for annexation made by the Greenville Country Club. The Chanticleer course lies west of Augusta Street, east of Interstate 185 and southwest of Prisma Health Greenville Memorial Hospital.

The decision on the 131 acres marks a “great first step” on the annexations the city anticipates in the area, City Councilman Russell Stall told The Post and Courier.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Does that include the neighborhood or just the course itself? Any idea how many people that would be?

Just the course for now.  Stall's comments lead me to believe there might be more later in this area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...