Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

One of the few changes that can be considered an improvement to Google maps IMO. It's been available for years although it still goes unnoticed. Since it only goes back to 2007-2008 it doesn't really capture all of downtown's original pre-development structures, but we do get a glimpse at how far we've come in 10 years.

My faves are along Summerlin Ave; the GAI building and the Brownstones have really elevated that area a great deal.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bqknight said:

Artisans Table? Kasa isn't bad. 

I've walked into Artisan's Table a half dozen times and literally every time I've timed it such that "we're on a limited menu between Lunch and Dinner" or whatever. Walked out every time. Just an anecdote. Maybe typical for this type of establishment. I'm not very classy. :D 

6 hours ago, sunshine said:

We need Park Avenue kind of restaurants on Orange Ave. There are zero good sit down restaurants in downtown that are priced right.

If priced right, sure.  But they rarely are.  I find minimal on Park Ave priced right.  That's also one my my major complains about Orlando's "food" scene, or lack thereof.  We have plenty of amazing restaurants, but by and large, you're paying for them.  More often than not, I want a fast casual meal.  My kingdom for something downtown that isn't a variation on a deli sub or new york pizza.  (But we're getting way off topic in the SoDo thread.)

Am I right in that there is no signage outside of an awning facing Livingston? 

Who does that after opening in a location that has been closed down?   I mean Natures Table tries harder to promote at steeet level and they pretty much have a captive audience in their office towers

18 hours ago, castorvx said:

I've walked into Artisan's Table a half dozen times and literally every time I've timed it such that "we're on a limited menu between Lunch and Dinner" or whatever. Walked out every time. Just an anecdote. Maybe typical for this type of establishment. I'm not very classy. :D 

Well, I recommend you try it for dinner sometime. It's quite good and they have some unique dishes. It usually isn't priced horribly either, $18-24 instead of say, $28-34 per meal. 

Red Mug was a nice addition in my opinion. Hope that stays and does well. Bento is nice to have as well but gets old. There does need to be some more Bento-level places to eat though. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2017 at 11:14 PM, AndyPok1 said:

I had no idea there was history in Google Street View.... Commence me going down a rabbit hole

Google Earth has historical aerials.

6 hours ago, bqknight said:

Red Mug was a nice addition in my opinion. Hope that stays and does well. Bento is nice to have as well but gets old. There does need to be some more Bento-level places to eat though. 

After Red Mug opened, I realized downtown needed something like that since Breakfast Club Closed.  Perfect spot for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates -

Crescent Lucerne should have broken ground by now based on the OBJ article (project has its own thread)

Southside Shoppes at Muriel, SoDo Place on west Grant and Shoppes at Orange (where Lidos was) are all about completed.  Christ Church Orlandos expansion is also done I believe.

Next up is likely the west Jersey area where Arby's is completely remodeling and a large day care facility is being built replacing some scattered small metal buildings behind that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I work out at Orange Theory at Colonial Plaza and the manager said they're planning on building a stand alone Orange Theory on Orange in SODO opening in the fall.  I have a hard time believing this is the spot.  Well I have a hard time believing there is enough money in OT to warrant its own building.

EDIT:  Pulled up the SJRWMD Permit 84461-4.  It looks like it could be an Orange Theory.  It's 1 plaza with 3 businesses and a parking lot.

Edited by codypet
time

Great find on both counts.

that permit was for the Axiom Plaza block I referenced and was back while that project was moving forward (property since sold).   They were never mentioned meaning no one uncovered that permit.   We knew it was to be a Mattress One, a Corner Bakery and an unnamed 3rd tenant.

The new blue rock plaza to the south has room for 3 and took the Mattress One.   If you heard it is still on then Orange Theory may another tenant.   Verizon is supposedly the third.

Still want to find out about that fence!  I figure it would need a permit no matter its purpose