Mary Black Rail Trail

spartanburgh

• 3 weeks later...

On 4/28/2023 at 12:38 PM, NotNotSanti said:
• 174 multi-family units with pool area and other amenities.
• 3,800 SQF of retail space.

The remaining 11,500 SQF of the building being used for retail will also be used by the apartments for "amenities and apartment office space.

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 12.36.57.png

I thought the Union Street sidewalk was being improved as part of this project (in fact, I thought that was a stipulation of the FILOT agreement), but it looks like it's being left as-is, which is disappointing.  The added residents and the park-side experience should be positive, however.  Do you know when they plan to start construction?

Board of Zoning Appeals has received a request for a variance to the side yard setback for the development of the "Fretwell Taproom" at 102 Fretwell Street.  This is the lot currently used as a gravel overflow lot for Fretwell (owned by Fretwell developers).  I'm not sure if the building shown on the map below still exists (probably not), but it sounds like this will be a new-build to invoke the setback rules.  Good to see development expanding here.  The developers own a lot of parcels in the area, so there's potential for even more to come in the future.

915663020_fretwelltaproom.thumb.jpg.2b087823c0201ef1afe3971918edd8d4.jpg

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/28/2023 at 12:38 PM, NotNotSanti said:
• 174 multi-family units with pool area and other amenities.
• 3,800 SQF of retail space.

The remaining 11,500 SQF of the building being used for retail will also be used by the apartments for "amenities and apartment office space.

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 12.36.57.png

Ran on the Rail Trail today and saw that fencing is now up around the Lat Purser-owned warehouse (across the trail from Rail Yard Park) where these apartments are planned.  Looks like that project is finally about to get underway!

Also, a pet daycare is going in most (all?) of the strip center at 351 West Henry Street.  They've been doing a LOT of work on the Rail Trail side for outdoor amenities.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of folks use Country Club road to circumnavigate the traffic of going through downtown. If you are coming out of Hillbrook, Fernwood, Clifton, Glendale etc., it takes forever to get through school crossings, downtown to get where you are going. Many people (myself included) use CC Rd to get to Union St then 295 to get around a lot of that traffic. There are some 30+ traffic lights between Jesse Boyd and the west side which is a serious pain.

The work on CC Rd has been going on for a while with no emd in sight. I am not trying to be negative but fail to see the need for this trail along this high use road as well as along Clifton-Gendale Rd. It'll be a miracle if no one is killed during the construction and afterwards. It just seems that this wasn't very well thought out as there is a lot of traffic and a couple of stop lights that folks routinely run along CC Rd as well as Woodburn and the road leading to Spartanburg Athletic Club. I hope I am wrong.

Yeah. Road and trail construction is messy.

A temporary closure of CC Road between Pine and Union isn't exactly the fall of Rome, though.

I do like the juxtaposition of "no need for trails here!" next to "these traffic corridors are super busy!"

Maybe trails should only be put in places where no one goes.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sparkleman said:

This project has to be one of the bigger screwups in the city/county's history and that's saying something.trailith

Respectfully disagree.  I ride my bike a lot and to be able to ride from downtown to Glendale Shoals is huge. I guess you are against connecting the River Birch Trail with Drayton Mills Trail along Heywood.. It will be a 'Trail' along a busy road.  I believe that the county's biggest screw up is allowing sprawl in Boiling Springs.  At least CC does not have truck traffic like Pine Street. People do walk on the SIDEWALKS  of those very dangerous roads. Evidently a lot of SC has not  planned for bypasses like other states.  Much safer, moves traffic and helps control sprawl.  

• Like 2

Demolition has started! The impact of this project will be huge, not just in that it is bringing in new residential units/some retail to help stir up the surrounding area, but that it is also demolishing what had become an eye store smack in the middle of this important corridor. Perhaps I'm exaggerating, but I can't help but feel that this will be Union Street's VCOM as far as catalysts are concerned. 

IMG_4337.jpeg

IMG_4331.jpeg

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sparkleman said:

I am all for connecting the River Birch Trail with Drayton Mills Trail along Heywood Rd, but  traffic on Heywood and Country Club are 2 different animals.

Meaning that traffic is worse on CCR?  SCDOT traffic counts show 10,100 on the portion from Woodburn to Pine, but only 4,900 east of Woodburn (compared to 6,200 on Heywood).  Plus, doesn't heavy traffic make a separated path more important?  And you can't deny the destination that Glendale is / will be with SPACE improvements to their mill property.  And safe bike access to the Rail Trail / downtown could potentially reduce car traffic.  Not to mention the actual road improvements, like wider lanes and better drainage.  Not sure I'm following your objection here...

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 7:42 PM, NotNotSanti said:

Demolition has started! The impact of this project will be huge, not just in that it is bringing in new residential units/some retail to help stir up the surrounding area, but that it is also demolishing what had become an eye store smack in the middle of this important corridor. Perhaps I'm exaggerating, but I can't help but feel that this will be Union Street's VCOM as far as catalysts are concerned. 

IMG_4337.jpeg

IMG_4331.jpeg

Got some shots of where demolition is today

IMG_7566.jpeg

IMG_7568.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.postandcourier.com/spartanburg/business/mixed-use-development-begins-on-union-street-in-spartanburg/article_cd3872a6-8269-11ee-9945-fb9e3687287b.html/?tpcc=sptsocial&fbclid=IwAR18ugG373hWvs0wb_t76FxS2BZzhvggRhSlrnhtkQsp2pQ-hAT-jnnjzks

New Article on the Lat Perser Mixed Use development. I don't know if any of this is new information for this thread but its good regardless to see it being discussed more

• Like 1

3 hours ago, camtology said:

https://www.postandcourier.com/spartanburg/business/mixed-use-development-begins-on-union-street-in-spartanburg/article_cd3872a6-8269-11ee-9945-fb9e3687287b.html/?tpcc=sptsocial&fbclid=IwAR18ugG373hWvs0wb_t76FxS2BZzhvggRhSlrnhtkQsp2pQ-hAT-jnnjzks

New Article on the Lat Perser Mixed Use development. I don't know if any of this is new information for this thread but its good regardless to see it being discussed more

Some may disagree but I believe this project will have a more positive long-term impact than anything else happening in the city.  The Union Street corridor needs just this type of catalyst to revitalize itself.  The Duncan Park area, a dense and neglected neighborhood (and park), will benefit.  And the rail trail will only become more viable with high-quality residential developments like this one.  In other words, a huge quality of life game changer for a long dormant part of town.  

• Like 4

18 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

Some may disagree but I believe this project will have a more positive long-term impact than anything else happening in the city.  The Union Street corridor needs just this type of catalyst to revitalize itself.  The Duncan Park area, a dense and neglected neighborhood (and park), will benefit.  And the rail trail will only become more viable with high-quality residential developments like this one.  In other words, a huge quality of life game changer for a long dormant part of town.  

With the rail trail being so popular, I believe a project like this will see an almost immediate switch on how Union Street looks once it is finished (especially if the penny sales tax is used to resurface and restructure the road)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 8:44 AM, Sparkleman said:

A lot of folks use Country Club road to circumnavigate the traffic of going through downtown. If you are coming out of Hillbrook, Fernwood, Clifton, Glendale etc., it takes forever to get through school crossings, downtown to get where you are going. Many people (myself included) use CC Rd to get to Union St then 295 to get around a lot of that traffic. There are some 30+ traffic lights between Jesse Boyd and the west side which is a serious pain.

The work on CC Rd has been going on for a while with no emd in sight. I am not trying to be negative but fail to see the need for this trail along this high use road as well as along Clifton-Gendale Rd. It'll be a miracle if no one is killed during the construction and afterwards. It just seems that this wasn't very well thought out as there is a lot of traffic and a couple of stop lights that folks routinely run along CC Rd as well as Woodburn and the road leading to Spartanburg Athletic Club. I hope I am wrong.

Go straight past the red light at the intersection of Wallace Ave. and CCR instead of turning right on to CCR. At the end of Andrews Rd, turn left on Old Petrie. At the end of that road, you can turn left on Pine Street, turn right on Old Petrie Rd. Extension, turn right on Dogwood Club Rd, and then turn right on 295. It’s about the same distance/time as the usual route.

Edited by Spartanburg Guy

The construction part of projects like these are always the worst because it feels like they're taking forever. 

They haven't been working on it very long at this point, but keep in mind if there are complications on this section that railroad companies are notoriously difficult to work with in terms of project schedules. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...