SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

I just walked into Banana Republic in SP and they are closing in two weeks.  Half the store is empty.  The ladies there said the only two stores left in CLT will be at Blakeney and Birkdale.  That’s so surprising to me. 

That store always seemed like it had little foot traffic, especially for the huge footprint. Always a nice escape at the holidays though to duck into a empty store with no lines. Gap's namesake brand and Banana Republic are still struggling and trying to find their place in the world with declining same store sales. Really Athleta, Old Navy, and online sales are keeping the corporation afloat and just being dragged down by Gap and BR (arguably should just sell or shut those brands down -> investors would probably be happy).

Edited by CLT2014

4 hours ago, turbocraig said:

I just walked into Banana Republic in SP and they are closing in two weeks.  Half the store is empty.  The ladies there said the only two stores left in CLT will be at Blakeney and Birkdale.  That’s so surprising to me. 

I had to buy some “business casual” clothes for my training a few months ago.  Mind you for my new job I wear a uniform so I didn’t want to spend to much money on clothes I needed just for a few weeks of training.  I decided to go into banana republic to see what I could find.  The reality is their clothes are too expensive for what they are.  And unfortunately the fact that a lot of people are working from home and that company isn’t doing well is not a good combination.  

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 3

Plus the rents are sky high at Southpark and those suburban stores for Banana Republic are much cheaper to operate for sure.

I still long  for the BR of the past with the old jeep inside and safari theme.  The first time I walked into one at the Shops at National Place in DC I loved it.  That being said I have not bought anything there in years.  I am sure Simon will replace it with a new to market high end store. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Plus the rents are sky high at Southpark and those suburban stores for Banana Republic are much cheaper to operate for sure.

I still long  for the BR of the past with the old jeep inside and safari theme.  The first time I walked into one at the Shops at National Place in DC I loved it.  That being said I have not bought anything there in years.  I am sure Simon will replace it with a new to market high end store. 

So Marmi (tacky womens shoes store) next door to Banana also closed.  If there is maybe one more store that closes connected to them that might be a big enough spot for a Zara!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 3:44 PM, TylerFerreroSorel said:

Have you guys seen the new Rolex boutique as part of Fink's Jewelers? It's gorgeous! It has its own dedicated entrance, but you can also enter through Fink's. There are private lounges within the store and everything. There is also a similar concept at Windsor Jewelers in Phillips Place, so now the Charlotte market has two such options for Rolex shoppers. :)

Speaking of Phillips Place, Marmi (mentioned upthread) is moving there, so it's not leaving Charlotte. 

I've heard lots of interesting rumors concerning Phillips Place lately... Very big news if true! :) 

What rumors, tell us 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

What rumors, tell us 

As CBJ reported this week, management of Phillips Place will be taken over by HP Village, a retail group from Dallas that owns and operates the Highland Park Village shopping center. HP Village is a top-tier shopping center that has a premium mix of retail tenants. If you want to imagine what the future of Phillips Place looks like, look at their website

Fun fact, my uncle used to be the president of AG Hill, who owns HP Village. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sclark said:

As CBJ reported this week, management of Phillips Place will be taken over by HP Village, a retail group from Dallas that owns and operates the Highland Park Village shopping center. HP Village is a top-tier shopping center that has a premium mix of retail tenants. If you want to imagine what the future of Phillips Place looks like, look at their website

Fun fact, my uncle used to be the president of AG Hill, who owns HP Village. 

Wow, you're not kidding when you say premium tenants. 

• Like 2

If Philips Place even reaches 10% of what Highland Park Village is, it will be incredible. I mean, Highland Park Village is up there with Americana, Bal Harbor and River Oaks in terms of the most exclusive, expensive shopping centers. 

• Like 4

I feel like Southpark (the neighborhood) has enough demand/draw to support two high end shopping centers. While Simon might not care for it, if anything it may motivate them to do better. I do love Southpark Mall for what it is, however there's certain things that I think keep it from being, or at least feeling as high end as it could be. I recall them saying they were remodeling a few years ago but I've yet to see any major changes other than the bathrooms. If their idea of remodeling is putting fresh paint on the walls and repairing broken tiles, then I'd call that more like neglected maintenance than a full remodel.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nakers2 said:

I feel like Southpark (the neighborhood) has enough demand/draw to support two high end shopping centers. While Simon might not care for it, if anything it may motivate them to do better. I do love Southpark Mall for what it is, however there's certain things that I think keep it from being, or at least feeling as high end as it could be. I recall them saying they were remodeling a few years ago but I've yet to see any major changes other than the bathrooms. If their idea of remodeling is putting fresh paint on the walls and repairing broken tiles, then I'd call that more like neglected maintenance than a full remodel.  

Many high-end areas of the country have multiple centers: Galleria and River Oaks in Houston, NorthPark and Highland Park Village in Dallas, Lennox, Phipps, and Streets at Buckhead in Atlanta, Bravern and Bellevue Square in Bellevue, Santa Row and Valley Fair in San Jose. Philipps Place and SP are just the same, and can coexist in a lot of ways. Plus, the key is to always have one major draw at both locations so that you can build between them. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Rufus said:

Many high-end areas of the country have multiple centers: Galleria and River Oaks in Houston, NorthPark and Highland Park Village in Dallas, Lennox, Phipps, and Streets at Buckhead in Atlanta, Bravern and Bellevue Square in Bellevue, Santa Row and Valley Fair in San Jose. Philipps Place and SP are just the same, and can coexist in a lot of ways. Plus, the key is to always have one major draw at both locations so that you can build between them. 

All of these examples excluding San Jose (and Santa Row’s tenant list is not really comparable to any of the others mentioned) have much larger population centers than Charlotte to support that kind of retail. I don’t think Charlotte is at the point yet. Luring actual high end names such as Gucci and Saint Laurent took way longer than it should have and SouthPark has a history of losing high end stores as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 8:53 AM, TheOneRJ said:

All of these examples excluding San Jose (and Santa Row’s tenant list is not really comparable to any of the others mentioned) have much larger population centers than Charlotte to support that kind of retail. I don’t think Charlotte is at the point yet. Luring actual high end names such as Gucci and Saint Laurent took way longer than it should have and SouthPark has a history of losing high end stores as well.

Charlotte is large enough to support at least one of each major luxury brand. There is money here. With that being said, I think the lack of the aforementioned brands is more related to retailers not wanting to make a bad gamble. Southend, and even Uptown is becoming a contender again for retail. With the Epicenter being (more than likely) reimaged and remodeled, and nearly every new development in Southend having their retail spaces booked before opening, high end retailers might question where the best place to locate themselves to catch visitors who will often patronize retailers like that. If Phillips Places becomes a high end shopping center, it will make Southpark the *obvious* choice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2022 at 8:53 AM, TheOneRJ said:

If '08 didn't go down like it did, it would have happened a lot faster.

Was the same way with nightclubs, high-end restaurants, condo towers. Everything become more Brooklyn/hipster/artisan style, breweries, coffee shops, maybe that started wearing off because of 2020-2022. See watch and handbag sales.

Edited by joenc
  • Like 1