Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Just compilied a list of my favorite new road projects around I-Drive. The list includes...

• Wildwood Area Road Network with details of the I-4 flyover and future intersection
  • Grand National Drive with details on the flyover and future SUL exit ramps
  • Destination Parkway with details on the road linking JYP and I-Drive
  • I-4 expansion with details on the Special Use Lanes/Lexus Lanes
  • A new North/South Road that runs parellel to I-Drive along the southern end of the Orange County portion of the road
  • Kirkman Road with an interesting link to a Orlando Sentinel story that speaks of plans for Kirkman to look like Paris' Champs-Elysees.

Check it out and tell me if I missed anything. Also let me know if anything I mention now has it's status shifted.

I noticed they are finally working on the The Dinky Line Trail. It is a part of the overall Orlando Urban Trail that is planned to eventually connect to Church Street in Downtown Orlando. The City is currently overseeing the design and construction of the 0.9 mile segment between Virginia Drive and Magnolia Avenue. The Dinky Line Trail Bridge over Lake Formosa is already complete. The completion of the trail along Haven Drive in the Lake Formosa Neighborhood is being coordinated with the developer of the Mills Park Project. The alignment of the trail generally follows the old rail spur with a shift between Ferris Avenue and Highland Avenue to route around the Lake Highland Prep Sports Complex and take advantage of the vistas of Lake Highland and the Downtown Orlando Skyline.

It is kind of odd though that they are also widening the sidewalks along Orange Ave on the Lake Ivanhoe side which runs less than a half of block parallel to this new trail. A lot of new concrete laid in a not very busy pedestrian area. It would be nice of they could have some how tied the two together.

Edited by FLheat

I think I posted in a different thread, but LYNX is issuing an RFP for design/build for a portion (Washington to Amelia, I think) and Design alone (Amelia to 50?) section of the trail.

The developer for Steel House gave an easement to the City to build along the west side of their property.

It's coming together...

It is kind of odd though that they are also widening the sidewalks along Orange Ave on the Lake Ivanhoe side which runs less than a half of block parallel to this new trail. A lot of new concrete laid in a not very busy pedestrian area. It would be nice of they could have some how tied the two together.

I live on Lake Ivanhoe now and I use both areas for running and walking. I don't understand the reasoning, either. I have to admit that I have been one of many people that has been using the widened sidewalk on Lake Ivanhoe even though it is not open to the public yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why, but I was a little shocked to see the "Steel House" apartment complex being constructed with wood framing... just doesn't seem like a long term solution. I know many historic buildings/houses used wood framing but it was a totally different type of wood than what is being used today.

Edited by LDG

Not sure why, but I was a little shocked to see the "Steel House" apartment complex being constructed with wood framing... just doesn't seem like a long term solution. I know many historic buildings/houses used wood framing but it was a totally different type of wood than what is being used today.

Sounds like the name is pretty misleading. Wood framing is apparently the most common building method for apartment complexes 4-stories high or less.

http://www.puretools.com/industry-news.asp?sectionID=0&articleID=1019096

• 3 weeks later...

Some retail news at last - Marie-France (apparently some sort of women's boutique) is going in at Post Parkside in the old Obsession space. Of course, it's not an addition since the store is currently located over in Thornton Park but hopefully a sign things are going well and they needed more space.

Also at Parkside, the realtor sign on the old Lee's Lakeside space has come down and this morning a sign went up for a public hearing this week to allow outdoor dining in the park. Hopefully, this means something is coming soon. When this space is empty, it's rather glaring.

I was browsing over the Appearance Review Board April 2012 agenda when a few things caught my eye. Unfortunately there weren't any pics, only text descriptions of two updated projects requesting approval for construction. The projects are now being called the Skyhouse Orlando apartments and the O+C hotel. I dug up the old MPBs for each address... so keep in mind the pics I've uploaded may not look like anything that is currently being proposed, but it will be interesting to compare the changes once the final plans are released.

Skyhouse Orlando apartments (formerly Magnolia Circle condos)

- Request to build a 23 story, 320 unit apartment building with ground floor retail space & free standing parking garage

- 90 E Livingston Street (accross the street from the courthouse, by the cul de sac parking area on Magnolia)

- The 2006 MPB agenda for this property was formerly known as "Magnolia Circle". The size appears to have been scaled down compared to the new ARB description

O+C Hotel ( formerly Orange & Colonial office & retail)

- Request to build an 8 story, 132 room hotel with 4,000 sq ft of commercial space with integrated parking garage

- 672 N Orange Ave (Basically they plan to build an L shaped structure surrounding the Mama B's shop fronting both Orange Ave & Colonial Dr)

- The 2006 MPB agenda for this property was originally for an office & retail building instead of a hotel, but it's worth having a look at the old plans anyway

What do you guys think??

Edited by LDG

Good to see some taller buildings coming to downtown. 8 story will complement the 4 story Steel House well while still providing a decent size for this important corner. 90 E Livingston has long been an eyesore, glad to see some true height (with retail!) going in there.

These two projects along with all the other growth in downtown may just be the amount we need for some critical mass in downtown. If we could just get the Sevens project to break ground and the Creative Village up and going. At this rate with just a couple of more projects we could have construction in almost every section of downtown.

I was browsing over the Appearance Review Board April 2012 agenda when a few things caught my eye. Unfortunately there weren't any pics, only text descriptions of two updated projects requesting approval for construction. The projects are now being called the Skyhouse Orlando apartments and the O+C hotel. I dug up the old MPBs for each address... so keep in mind the pics I've uploaded may not look like anything that is currently being proposed, but it will be interesting to compare the changes once the final plans are released.

- Request to build a 23 story, 320 unit apartment building with ground floor retail space & free standing parking garage

- 90 E Livingston Street (accross the street from the courthouse, by the cul de sac parking area on Magnolia)

- The 2006 MPB agenda for this property was formerly known as "Magnolia Circle". The size appears to have been scaled down compared to the new ARB description

- Request to build an 8 story, 132 room hotel with 4,000 sq ft of commercial space with integrated parking garage

- 672 N Orange Ave (Basically they plan to build an L shaped structure surrounding the Mama B's shop fronting both Orange Ave & Colonial Dr)

- The 2006 MPB agenda for this property was originally for an office & retail building instead of a hotel, but it's worth having a look at the old plans anyway

What do you guys think??

It always a little frustrating to me to see the hold outs in this case Mama B's. I guess it's the Real Estate Professional in me. Seems to me that they could have incorporated that lot into the new development by creating a retail condo that would be equivalent in value to the land they already own. Developers often forget that you can always throw the owner a few points in a deal to get the owners to sell. Also, I know Orland isn't big on air rights, but if I were the owner of that property, I'd be terrified that one day in the future a massive tower would go up blocking my views, light and air. Seems a little timid to me.

It always a little frustrating to me to see the hold outs in this case Mama B's. I guess it's the Real Estate Professional in me. Seems to me that they could have incorporated that lot into the new development by creating a retail condo that would be equivalent in value to the land they already own. Developers often forget that you can always throw the owner a few points in a deal to get the owners to sell. Also, I know Orland isn't big on air rights, but if I were the owner of that property, I'd be terrified that one day in the future a massive tower would go up blocking my views, light and air. Seems a little timid to me.

I saw that and shook my head. If Mama Bs was a legendary local sub joint that made awesome food I might not be bothered, but Mama Bs is entirely average. Usually when you walk into an old sandwich shop that hasn't been updated in decades you expect something great. At this location I would not say I had a great sub.

I saw that and shook my head. If Mama Bs was a legendary local sub joint that made awesome food I might not be bothered, but Mama Bs is entirely average. Usually when you walk into an old sandwich shop that hasn't been updated in decades you expect something great. At this location I would not say I had a great sub.

Maybe LUST Cash Transactor can open up a shop in there with them... :dontknow:

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

What do you guys think??

Curiously, there is a 23 story, 320 unit apartment building called Skyhouse going up in midtown Atlanta. Novare and Batson-Cook have a joint partnership.