Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

The stop at florida hospital is right next to college park on sunrail. The other tracks on the obt side aren't any more conveinent for most of us living in cp. In an ideal situation the train would also stop at airport, Nona, convention center, Disney, universal and UCF (weekdays) if we're going to get a noticeable amount of cars off the road.

Neither stop would be "in" college park but with all of the hub bub about the newest development that probably is for the best.

Don't forget that you have very frequent LYNX service up and down Princeton connecting Edgewater/Princeton with the current station and the potential station along OBT

^^Yes.  We know that "riff-raff" trains might bring aren't welcome in College Paaaahhhhrrrk. It's perfect, as it is!  No interlopers!  No vagrants!  Everyone smiles!  The sidewalks are paved with gold and candies!  The sun always shines and it is 75 degrees!

Hahaha

However, I 100% agree with you.  To remove the most cars, there are much better places these trains need to run.

Just for an example...short buildings can be interesting and not so squat and boring...

Oslo Version of urban renewal

Opera02.jpg

I spent a few days there last month, the Sentrum port area buildings are nice, but it felt a little sterile--no where near the engergy of the city shopping area or near the new opera house and the development going on near there.  Their opera house is really a sight to see with the way it gently slopes into the water. Oslo also has an advantage of a lot of water views to capture because of the irregular shoreline.

Edited by FLheat

^^Yes.  We know that "riff-raff" trains might bring aren't welcome in College Paaaahhhhrrrk. It's perfect, as it is!  No interlopers!  No vagrants!  Everyone smiles!  The sidewalks are paved with gold and candies!  The sun always shines and it is 75 degrees!

Hahaha

However, I 100% agree with you.  To remove the most cars, there are much better places these trains need to run.

Well, the last time we heard that was from Winter Park, and look how their merchants association and businesses have embraced the increased traffic and customer flow. That's the story to tell when we talk about rail system expansion.

I spent a few days there last month, the Sentrum port area buildings are nice, but it felt a little sterile--no where near the engergy of the city shopping area or near the new opera house and the development going on near there.  Their opera house is really a sight to see with the way it gently slopes into the water. Oslo also has an advantage of a lot of water views to capture because of the irregular shoreline.

I haven't been to Oslo, but have been to Stavanger and Bergen.  I find a lot of the newer architecture there to be sterile. 

And low rise residential can be an art too...

Iceberg Condo Arhaus

10426875_10152540049652874_2644704191095

Wave Condo at Vejle

10625129_10152529729492874_6032523514247

Not to completely hijack this thread...

When I think of downtown Orlando and with the latest wave of developments and venues being modern design, I think of Orlando as being a city with edgy and experimental archictecture city with lots of leed certified buildings. A city of future. Also, since we have young people moving downtown, i think they would appracieta it. We will never be like a historic town like Savannah or even Jax.

I think this is about the best we could have hoped for here. So essentially a SODO with a Skyhouse. Will begin the bridging of the gap essentially between Downtown and ORMC.

+1000

And it's promising that the the most intriguing elements of the project--the towers and grocer--are planned for what is now a massive parking lot, whereas the rest of the site is home to structures that would need to be demolished. So even though the project is a multi-phaser, it appears as if we'll receive the most exciting phase first.

I'm curious how much of this will actually be realized. Also that pedestrian plaza is promising but it could definitely be more pedestrian friendly along Orange Ave. I like that some of the rooftops are being used, let's hope the rest are green roofs. Hotel and condos shouldn't look over ugly roofs (I'm looking at you Mills Park).

Lots of water features too. That's nice. I think we need more water features around town.

Well, the last time we heard that was from Winter Park, and look how their merchants association and businesses have embraced the increased traffic and customer flow. That's the story to tell when we talk about rail system expansion.

Yes, I joke with my friends that live in College Park that the elitism that some folks in Winter Park have usually turns around to bite them in the rear when the plans they oppose become reality.  The SunRail train being a prime example!!

This is not as grand as we would like, but for the current downtown condition that we are in, this is the sort of project that I actually anticipated when Central station, orlando sentinel lot, artisan 420...announced their plan. Instead we get uninspired cheap products with little thought into the logtivity and placemaking of downtonw.

Lucerne is technically considered downtown CBD, I am glad that it is designed the way it is. Also glad that there are no surface parking lots like other posters here argued about past weeks.

In short,

Public space checked

high-rise checked

retails checked

place making checked.

no surface parking checked

This is one of the project people will take the half mile hike from the nearest parking garage if the retails mix is what I envision. I would prefer to have retails on Gore too. If the urban bike trails is done, i would even bike there from my house.

Now just tell me phase 1 is the entire retails, hotel, public space and phase 2 is the short apartment building in Gore.

Why cant orlando support a tall office building? All the office buildings we have is separate into many small buildings.

aker-brygge_622131.jpgyou mean Oslo Aker Brygge area with all the low rises condo...

Yep, I ran through that area (and over that bridge) a couple of times and had lunch and dinner in that area.  I don't know if it's too new to be established but it didn't seem like many people were out and about other than the tourist closer to the port.  I do love the amount of statues throughout Oslo, they must have the most per square foot of any city I've seen.  This area has a couple of nude brass modern women statues with red paint accents in the "right places".

Renderings of this 21-story residential tower and accompanying 10-story hotel mixed-use project:

screen-shot-2014-10-09-at-13839-pm*600.p

screen-shot-2014-10-09-at-13826-pm*600.p

screen-shot-2014-10-09-at-13815-pm*600.p

screen-shot-2014-10-09-at-12522-pm*600.p

screen-shot-2014-10-09-at-12816-pm*600.p

I had to do a reply b/c this is exciting.

I may have even posted something before stating the need to develop the area south of downtown with more residential highrises.

this is great.  the high rise will actually bridge a little bit of a gap between CBD highrises and ORHS highrises; it will visually extend the downtown skyline a bit more south.  It will probably be a catalyst for more projects like it.