High-Speed Rail

bic

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what you expected?

Well Rick Scott did flat out lie saying he would support it if the feds and private sector paid for it, and that happened, the state had no liability, no expenses, no operating costs for the required operational time under the proposal, and he rejected the exact compromise that he proposed. Republicans, as well as Democrats, have supported the HSR. It was a bipartisan effort in Florida to build it, only people against it were the Tea Party people.

Just in - Rick Scott has asked for, and been granted, another week to review the project!

Scott faces a major law suit from the Florida Legislature (and others) if he kills HSR. He is exceeding his power. HSR was passed by the Florida House and Senate (both republican controlled) and was allowed to become law by then Gov Christ. It carries the full weight of law. A new Governor can't come in and decide that he doesn't like whatthe previously legislature passed and wipe it out with a pen stroke. He thinks he has CEO powers. He does not.

He is using the additional week to determine if he can fend off the law suit. He cannot.

The suit supposedly will be filed Monday. I don't expect Scott to change his mind, as it would be political suicide for him....Someone is gonna have to change his mind for him. I fear that the damage has been done though.

If he can find a way to claim that he somehow reduced tax payer liability, he will take a face-saving deal.

We knew this was going to happen, but Sentinel is reporting it as official. My fear at this point is that the suit has its merits and it may win, but the money may go somewhere else by the time everything plays out in the courts. Scott can sit there with a smug smile on his face for winning even after losing a court battle. Then we can have a train on paper, but no funding from the fed to get anything done for another year and perhaps ever.

2 lawmakers ask high court to force Scott to take high-speed rail money

We knew this was going to happen, but Sentinel is reporting it as official. My fear at this point is that the suit has its merits and it may win, but the money may go somewhere else by the time everything plays out in the courts. Scott can sit there with a smug smile on his face for winning even after losing a court battle. Then we can have a train on paper, but no funding from the fed to get anything done for another year and perhaps ever.

2 lawmakers ask high court to force Scott to take high-speed rail money

My hope would be that Sec LaHood puts a hold on the money until the court case is settled. I don't believe Scott has a leg to stand on and there is precedence for this case when the State Legislature sued Gov Bush for over stepping his authority.

HSR was passed by the Republican House and Republican Senate and signed by a Republican Governor. Any undoing would have to come from the House and Senate. I only point out party to show that this isn't about politics, it's about maintaining the constitutional separation of power.

I think we'll hear more on this by noon today...

Supreme Court of Florida

TUESDAY, MARCH 1, 2011

CASE NO.: SC11-396

THAD ALTMAN, ET AL. vs. HON. RICK SCOTT, GOVERNOR

Petitioner(s) Respondent(s)

Petitioner has filed a petition for writ of quo warranto. Respondent is hereby requested to file a response to the above-referenced petition no later than noon on March 2, 2011. The petitioner may file a reply no later than 4:00 P.M. on March 2, 2011. The response and reply shall address, at a minimum the following: 1)The jurisdiction of this Court to hear the matter, 2)The standing of the petitioners to bring this petition, 3)The merits of the petition, and 4)The March 4, 2011, deadline for any decision.

Per this Court's Administrative Order In Re: Mandatory Submission of Electronic Copies of Documents AOSC04-84 dated September 13, 2004, counsel are directed to transmit a copy of all briefs in an electronic format as required by the provisions of that order.

This just came in to us from the City of Orlando Mayor's office:

Statement from Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer regarding Florida High Speed Rail.

Yesterday, the Mayors of Orlando, Tampa, Lakeland and Miami reached out to Governor Scott to make it unmistakably clear that the Orlando to Tampa High Speed Rail project could be built without one dime from Florida taxpayers and absolutely no risk to the state.

Unfortunately, it appears Governor Scott has chosen to ignore these facts and has reiterated his decision to reject federal funding for the project as well as Florida’s inclusion in an eventual state and nationwide high speed rail network.

This is an incredibly disappointing turn of events for the residents of our state who desperately need jobs and now face a future of increasingly gridlocked roads and the potential for five and six dollar a gallon gasoline.

While I am disappointed that Florida will not break ground on high speed rail this year, I am in awe of the work that was done by so many people in the last few weeks who fought to save this once in a generation project. This broad coalition of Florida’s elected leaders, residents and businesses worked tirelessly to deliver a plan that would have allowed the private sector to take on the cost and risk of the project. It is truly a shame that Floridians are going to miss out on the many benefits of high speed rail.

I also want to thank the United States Department of Transportation and Secretary Ray LaHood for their level of patience and cooperation. It’s clear that our federal partners realize the importance of Florida as a critical part of America’s high speed rail network.

While I share the frustration of millions of Floridians during this moment of great disappointment, I remain committed to working toward a day when High Speed Rail will be a reality for us, a reality that creates jobs and prosperity for everyone who calls our great state home.

Archived