MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

Not a soccer guy but I stumbled across these two impressive soccer stats (the second is MUCH more impressive than the first I think -- I barely lived through a Knights game on Friday where they completely ran out of relish for my hotdog).

More knowledgeable folks, how close is CLTFC getting to selling out the lower bowl? Is selling some of the upper deck in the future?

54CDFFD3-4855-4B8A-AA37-DBD69AB09852.png

01C2FC47-D3CA-4EF8-A4AD-CE85CF7F7B69.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kermit said:

Not a soccer guy but I stumbled across these two impressive soccer stats (the second is MUCH more impressive than the first I think -- I barely lived through a Knights game on Friday where they completely ran out of relish for my hotdog).

More knowledgeable folks, how close is CLTFC getting to selling out the lower bowl? Is selling some of the upper deck in the future?

01C2FC47-D3CA-4EF8-A4AD-CE85CF7F7B69.png

thats a Cornish Hen not a chicken #falseadvertising sounds delish tho

Edited by CLT Development

4 hours ago, kermit said:

PSL owner and from what options were left when I decided after the first game it was slim pickens for 4 seats together. I was told from my rep upper bowl would not be opened up only for season openers/payoffs/cups.  I would estimate they are about 80% there on from what I have seen.

Here is the fan cam from the most recent game. https://charlottefc.fancam.com/20220514?s=east-view&atv=-1.222&ath=-68.28&fov=28.087

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

The games consistently have about 6k to 8k empty seats. The team seems to be pretty far away from filling the remaining seats as most of the seats are expensive club seats.

There is no way they are short 8k fans, that's basically 1/4 of the lower bowl!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JHart said:

There is no way they are short 8k fans, that's basically 1/4 of the lower bowl!

Average attendance (without the first home game) is 31,479. The lower bowl capacity is 38,000 seats. Also the numbers provided is tickets distributed, not butt in the seats. 

image.thumb.png.4760c3368d37df0d321bf3e5050da0e4.png

image.png.b8769f2e692f2e4412141546af7c1970.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

Average attendance (without the first home game) is 31,479. The lower bowl capacity is 38,000 seats. Also the numbers provided is tickets distributed, not butt in the seats. 

image.thumb.png.4760c3368d37df0d321bf3e5050da0e4.png

image.png.b8769f2e692f2e4412141546af7c1970.png

The Wikipedia page references this article in the CBJ for its number: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/02/11/charlottes-new-mls-team-close-to-first-sellout.html which does give the 38,000 number but if you look at the full quote it is: 

For most regular season matches, Charlotte FC plans to only open the lower level for fans. That encompasses 38,000 seats, including suites. Because of seating configurations, TV camera positions and other factors, the team has said capacity will be in the range of 32,000 people for matches played with only the lower level occupied.

BOA is pretty damn full, not missing 8,000 people. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JHart said:

For most regular season matches, Charlotte FC plans to only open the lower level for fans. That encompasses 38,000 seats, including suites. Because of seating configurations, TV camera positions and other factors, the team has said capacity will be in the range of 32,000 people for matches played with only the lower level occupied.

BOA is pretty damn full, not missing 8,000 people. 

There is absolutely no way the stadium has ever been close to capacity.  I said missing in the range of 6-8k as the stadium has varied over the past several weeks. I've been to every game and not a single one was close to full. If that number was the case the Montreal game was at 100% capacity, which it was no where near. Not to mention ticketmaster regularly has tons of tickets left on the day of. I would like to see an exact number on what capacity is because I'm not buying a " in the range of", especially since the camera positions do not take away that many seats. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nathan2 said:

There is absolutely no way the stadium has ever been close to capacity.  I said missing in the range of 6-8k as the stadium has varied over the past several weeks. I've been to every game and not a single one was close to full. If that number was the case the Montreal game was at 100% capacity, which it was no where near. Not to mention ticketmaster regularly has tons of tickets left on the day of. I would like to see an exact number on what capacity is because I'm not buying a " in the range of", especially since the camera positions do not take away that many seats. 

Chill man. I'm pointing out the Wikipedia page is incorrectly using a quote from the team as their source on seating capacity when the team themselves gave the 32,000 number. Actual capacity is probably around 33k, meaning we are selling about 1-2k seats short a game with some no shows of MAX 3k short of sellouts each week. 

I'm also a season ticket holder who has been to every game and I'd say the 1-2k per game short is accurate. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Under normal circumstances, one would think something bad off the field had to happen with a coach who is exceeding expectations for a 1st year expansion franchise that's on the fringe of the playoffs. I'd like to think that was the case here, since there should be no other reason but I'm not holding my breathe. And yet Rhule is still somehow employed. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Under normal circumstances, one would think something bad off the field had to happen with a coach who is exceeding expectations for a 1st year expansion franchise that's on the fringe of the playoffs. I'd like to think that was the case here, since there should be no other reason but I'm not holding my breathe. And yet Rhule is still somehow employed. 

Something is likely up.  This kind of news comes out at 6pm so it isn't discussed on every sports talk radio show for hours.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

New MLS tv contract puts all games on AppleTV. The article suggests that the games will not be televised anywhere else. Financial terms of deal not disclosed.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-major-league-soccer-strike-10-year-streaming-deal-for-all-mls-games-11655222431

Here is the CBJ version: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/06/14/major-league-soccer-apple-media-rights-tv-sports.html

and CBJ did get the financial terms: 

Sister publication Sports Business Journalreported the contract is worth $250 million annually — or nearly triple the $90 million in media rights fees paid by ESPN, Fox and Univision in the agreement that expires after this season.”

CBJ also reports that MLS teams will not have any local media rights to sell.

Edit: from The Athletic

Apple will not be the exclusive home for MLS games; ESPN and others are still negotiating deals to broadcast smaller game packages going forward. Translation: MLS could receive up to $300 million per year when all the ink is dry. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/14/2022 at 3:44 PM, kermit said:

New MLS tv contract puts all games on AppleTV. The article suggests that the games will not be televised anywhere else. Financial terms of deal not disclosed.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-major-league-soccer-strike-10-year-streaming-deal-for-all-mls-games-11655222431

Here is the CBJ version: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/06/14/major-league-soccer-apple-media-rights-tv-sports.html

and CBJ did get the financial terms: 

Sister publication Sports Business Journalreported the contract is worth $250 million annually — or nearly triple the $90 million in media rights fees paid by ESPN, Fox and Univision in the agreement that expires after this season.”

CBJ also reports that MLS teams will not have any local media rights to sell.

Edit: from The Athletic

Apple will not be the exclusive home for MLS games; ESPN and others are still negotiating deals to broadcast smaller game packages going forward. Translation: MLS could receive up to $300 million per year when all the ink is dry. 

This sucks….I think.  Won’t this mean that I can no longer watch the games on free digital (network) TV?  Hate to lose a good thing

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

This sucks….I think.  Won’t this mean that I can no longer watch the games on free digital (network) TV?  Hate to lose a good thing

Yup, awful deal unless you're super into MLS. No local games, and this is an add-on to the Apple TV app, not Apple TV+. Don't expect additional locals to try the games out on their local channels for such a new team. Only positives are this tv package is included if you have season tickets and no blackouts (I have been caught in between regions for games where I'm out of local coverage but not far enough out for ESPN+).