Traffic Congestion, Road Construction, & Improvement Projects

gman430

No SPUIs = lack of foresight.

Building an entire SPU which costs a lot of money just to eliminate one traffic light is not going to solve or even help the traffic problems that plague Woodruff Road sadly. I would much rather see connecting roads get added for the same price. That would help tremendously.

Edited by gman430

Building an entire SPU which costs a lot of money just to eliminate one traffic light is not going to solve or even help the traffic problems that plague Woodruff Road sadly. I would much rather see connecting roads get added for the same price. That would help tremendously.

The bridges need replacement anyway...

And also i disagree, its at the Woodruff/I85 intersection that the traffic seems to get worse. Take out a traffic light, and it would be helped.

• 1 month later...

-Trees have started going in along Wade Hampton Blvd. for that landscaping project. Contract awarded for Main Street one also.

-Haywood Road at I-385 interchange is starting to look very impressive. Glad to see landscaping with trees have been installed where the power lines were buried also.

-Trees have started going in along Wade Hampton Blvd. for that landscaping project. Contract awarded for Main Street one also.

-Haywood Road at I-385 interchange is starting to look very impressive. Glad to see landscaping with trees have been installed where the power lines were buried also.

The Haywood Rd interchange does look very nice. It's good to hear that they're doing plantings along Haywood Rd, as well. :thumbsup:

I know I asked this before... but is this just plantings, or is this building out curbs and physically narrowing the street?

Building out of curbs in between where the parallel parking spots currently are. Kind of like how you see on McBee Avenue across from CVS.

SCDOT was not very accommodating on where signage could be located.  Haywood Road is maintained by the state so they have say in all the right of ways near the intersection with 385.  The plan was to have signs located on the off-ramps saying "Welcome to Uptown Greenville" etc.  But DOT won't allow that.

The intersection at Woods Crossing looks awesome with the power lines buried.  They have also added the more modern looking street lights that were shown in the Master Plan which I think is an improvement.  Its a good start especially with the landscaping at the interchange.  Positive steps.

That intersection does look great.

But...is that it? Seriously? It's only like a couple hundred feet. What good is burying power lines, when you can still see the rest of them just a little bit down the road?

Yep, that's it for now. Burying powerlines isn't cheap and the city doesn't have $10-$15 million just sitting there it can use to bury the rest of them along Haywood Road. They will all get buried along this road eventually but it will take several years if not over a decade to complete this.

That intersection does look great.

But...is that it? Seriously? It's only like a couple hundred feet. What good is burying power lines, when you can still see the rest of them just a little bit down the road?

Thought the same thing when I saw it.

Half hearted attempt.

Thought the same thing when I saw it.

Half hearted attempt.

I'm sure the city would accept your donation to the cause. 

Let's be realistic here.  Should the city divert money from the $18mm it is spending on sewer upgrades to bury some lines?  Sewage spills as a liability and could be bad to the city's reputation as well as incur fines.

Frankly, the mall itself should help pay for the burial in front of it's property.  Maybe now that a stark example is presented so close, they might be so moved, and thus speed the process along.

I drove up North Main today. The streetscaping/diet is coming along on the northbound side. It is really going to go a long way in helping to slow traffic and improve the feel of that stretch of road. A good apartment project up that way would help get some momentum going.

City of Greenville is requesting bids for the Heritage Green Campus Project. The scope of services for this project involves hardscape, landscape, and significant wayfinding signage for the six campus entities that include the Greenville County Hughes Library, The Children’s Museum, Greenville Little Theater, Upcountry History Museum, Greenville County Museum of Art, and Sargent Wilson Museum & Gallery.

The project hardscape includes the construction of approximately 9000 square feet of new sidewalk, 900 square feet of concrete pavers, 760 square feet of granite pavers, and 875 feet of stone wall. The landscape includes over 14,000 square feet of sod, several trees and numerous shrubs and grasses. The wayfinding signage includes a large electronic LED sign display, banners, maps, and building identification for the entire campus. Bids due May 14th.

This sounds pretty nice. I want to know more on their plans for the "multi-use path" to connect HG with Main Street. That area would be a great place to live if someone would come in and build some nice urban apartments or condos.

The city wants to take a lane out of College, my guess is that the path would go in place of the lane?