Traffic Congestion, Road Construction, & Improvement Projects

gman430

How can we measure return just yet?

With other projects that have more potential, my comment may have been jumping the gun. In the case of this project, a lack of return is fairly sure, as this project lacks any potential for return. It is ONE, that is ONE block. Most of the block is taken up by an office building with no street level access. There is one restaurant / jazz club that already does good business, and the back deck for one other bar, that does fairly well. My question to you, where will the ROI come from? Where do you see potential for ROI?

gs3,

The answers to your questions have already been answered in this thread. JUST ONE example is the 808 building. It is entirely vacant, I believe, except for the ground level. It is also currently for sale. If it sells rather than sits, or sells for more than it would have otherwise, that would be an immediate increase in the tax base, and would potentially lead to renovations and/or higher occupancy DT.

That patio you mentioned didn't even exist until this project was done. It has already had a positive effect.

Why do you think that there will NEVER be any change to any building or the parking lot that face this street? What is to prevent that from happening? Nothing.

It not like the city made a choice between doing this project, versus say, streetscaping Rhett St.

You never did answer my question of what other street/block should have been done instead. All you do is bring negative rhetoric, you never add substantive comments to this topic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Almost another month has gone by. Was down church today. None of the above issues have been fixed. Project looks to be complete and I guess half-ass completion is the best we can expect. Quite sad.

And yet ANOTHER month ticks by.....the Church Street project is still a joke. As of last night, the new white street lights on decorative poles are still burning immediately along side the amber street lights on old wooden poles.......half of the new lights are out and many of the glass covers are broken....the bases on the new lights are still not complete.....grass has not been cut and weeds are growing....old street signs leaning,.....on and on........what an incredibly sloppy project.

• 4 weeks later...

And yet ANOTHER month ticks by.....the Church Street project is still a joke. As of last night, the new white street lights on decorative poles are still burning immediately along side the amber street lights on old wooden poles.......half of the new lights are out and many of the glass covers are broken....the bases on the new lights are still not complete.....grass has not been cut and weeds are growing....old street signs leaning,.....on and on........what an incredibly sloppy project.

And still another month. Nothing more. Area is still full of sub par issues, that have yet to be addressed.

And still another month. Nothing more. Area is still full of sub par issues, that have yet to be addressed.

Not sure what you mean. The new lights were fixed over a month ago. The grass and weeds are cut weekly. I will agree bases need to be added to the lights and it has been discussed numerous times the old white street lights are the responsibility of Duke Energy, not much Greenville can do about that.

Not sure what you mean. The new lights were fixed over a month ago. The grass and weeds are cut weekly. I will agree bases need to be added to the lights and it has been discussed numerous times the old white street lights are the responsibility of Duke Energy, not much Greenville can do about that.

Cant the city just tell them to get them down?

Not sure what you mean.

- the bases have not been completed

- as of last night, some of the new lights are still out

- the old wooden poles with amber colored lights are still up and burning alongside the new white lights

- old bent traffic signs still leaning

- directional signs at Augusta still on old wooden poles and wires

- some of the new plantings did not live and have not been replaced

Yes, the grass / weeds have been cut. That's the only thing that has been done.

Sloppy, sloppy project.

I like how you only quote a portion of my response.

1.) I agreed the bases have not been compleasd

2.) I drove by last night... could not find an out light. It is possible some are out but there was a huge amount out that had been replaced.

3.) Amber lights are up still... but this is Duke Energy, not Greeenville.

4.) Will look for these tonight... last I saw they had replaced them all.

5.) Agree with this one... Dont like the wires.

6.) Disagree with this. They have replaced plants that did not make it TWICE (multiple each time). This is going to happen... its a plant. Plant 100 in your back yard. I bet 5% die and you have to replace them.

I am fine with criticism, but point out the good with the bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Billboards are beginning to come down at Woodruff Road/Verdae Blvd where QT is going and across from the Bi-Lo Center next to East North Street.

Actually, I noticed the other day that the billboard standing on Woodruff Road at the intersection of Verdae Blvd., where QT is going, has not come down at all but has been upgraded to a new digital display.

The plans for the 85-385 interchange will be shared with the public tonight at Beck. It is planned to be the state's first 4-layer interchange. Construction could take 3 years and will begin in 2014 according to WYFF.

Click here to see the plans: http://www.scdot.org/inside/pdfs/PublicHearings/I-85_i-385_display.pdf

I-85: http://www.scdot.org/inside/pdfs/PublicHearings/I-85_i-385_typical85.pdf

I-385: http://www.scdot.org/inside/pdfs/PublicHearings/I-85_i-385_typical385.pdf

• 1 month later...

I just received the bid package for the Wade Hampton Blvd. landscaping project. 289 trees will be planted along shoulders from Church Street to Pleasantburg Drive. :thumbsup:

Speaking of this, anybody know what is going on with the landscape project for I-385/Haywood Road? :unsure:

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1