Downtown Norfolk Progress

varider

Also Tuesday, the commission approved the sale of three parcels of state-owned waterfront land, also on the Elizabeth River, on Front Street in Norfolk. The parcels are likely to be developed as part of a proposed Atlantic City retirement community, where Colley Avenue ends at Front Street and offers scenic views of downtown Norfolk and Portsmouth.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/08/state-conv...unnel-expansion

• 2 weeks later...

From bidclerk: New fast food joint on the corner of St. Paul's and City Hall.. Hopefully it isn't of the suburbia- drive through sort. And hopefully it's a Chick- Fil- A

Site work and new construction of a fast food restaurant in Norfolk. Completed working drawings call for the construction of an approximately 3,500-square-foot restaurant to include a dining area, kitchen, service counters, and restrooms.

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.1050504.html

Construction starts this month.

Edited by varider

200 East Plume Street, the cool old bank building that I've mentioned a few times. Demo work going on (I think they removed the vault).

Heard a rumor it is going to become a restaurant / club.

Land records show it sold for $770K (down from asking $1.2 million) and nearly $200K above the city assessment (which jumped to $720K after they bought it).

The address on the city's site is:

PO BOX 6749, CHESAPEAKE, VA 23323-0749

On a Chesapeake XLS file of new businesses registered in 2008 it shows:

KEBCO FINANCIAL & TRUST INC PO BOX 6749 CHESAPEAKE VA 23323 C LOAN CO

New Restaurant & Lounge called "The Palace on Plume"

http://palaceonplume.com/palaceonplume.com...NPLUME.COM.html

The Palace on Plume Street will be a place to come rub shoulders with the finest leaders in the city. It will be the venue where you can mingle and hear stories about executives and entrepreneurs who are shaping the city of Norfolk into one of the best cities in America. The Palace will be located in the heart of Downtown Norfolk, a community known for its vibrant lifestyles and opportunities for new business.

~ The Palace

oGrand Opening

Are they just refacing this or turning into something?

So a waiste of a unique setup. Wish someone had some vision to turn it into something grand. I could even see that being fresh seafood market......as some suggested waterside should be..

I believe it's just a facelift.. It could be so much more, but as an art gallery, it isn't too bad. My aunt said people go in there during lunch some days when it's hot, just to get outta the office.

I'm more dissapointed with the fact that we have had no TOD pop up at the MacArthur Station.The city says they are gonna put cafe's and what not there, but right now it looks horrible and there is no main attraction at the station like there should be. It look so wierd without Kirn. Now you can see the horrible looking 'the quality shop.' I don't know. I just feel like so much more could and should be done.

I believe it's just a facelift.. It could be so much more, but as an art gallery, it isn't too bad. My aunt said people go in there during lunch some days when it's hot, just to get outta the office.

I'm more dissapointed with the fact that we have had no TOD pop up at the MacArthur Station.The city says they are gonna put cafe's and what not there, but right now it looks horrible and there is no main attraction at the station like there should be. It look so wierd without Kirn. Now you can see the horrible looking 'the quality shop.' I don't know. I just feel like so much more could and should be done.

Such a wasite man, beautiful building and no thing to support its use.

I'm not shocked about MacArthur station, it has been disappointing every since they decided not to do the building over top of the station. Cafe's there are a waiste, that needed to be a central location and glamorous if you ask me (yeah I know about the recession, blah blah blah), harbor park too. Well, with all of this disappointing things, I guess harbor park will be the next thing I need to look towards. They have to get one of these projects right. I know many will disagree, but pound for pound, the ghent development is the best project we have had in a while.

I'm not shocked about MacArthur station, it has been disappointing every since they decided not to do the building over top of the station. Cafe's there are a waiste, that needed to be a central location and glamorous if you ask me (yeah I know about the recession, blah blah blah),

Don't give up on MacArthur Station yet. I don't want HRTA to build the building above the station. They are a transit authority, not a developer. I don't want the city to build the building, either. That's not what tax dollars are for. But if light rail is successful, the air rights over the station will be the hottest commercial property in town. A developer will build the building, with private sector financing. It may not happen until the economy is stronger, but it will happen. And when it does, it will have all the glamor you are looking for, and much more.

http://www.loopnet.com/property/15121060/1...-Brooke-Avenue/

Union Mission up for sale. Could it sprout a tower? I'm curious to see. It obviously needs to be torn down. It was built 100 years ago. I could see a renovation into apartments, but who would want to live in an old homeless shelter?

The subject is situated 3 blocks from the center of downtown Norfolk. The area has the lowest apartment vacancy rate for a region of this size. The city of Norfolk has little vacant land left for residential development therefore most new construction takes the form of multi-family housing. This building is in a zoning district that will permit several land uses. Among them are residential development, condominiums or apartments, hotel or office development. The highest and best use will be the one that returns the greatest present value.

Union Mission up for sale. Could it sprout a tower? I'm curious to see. It obviously needs to be torn down. It was built 100 years ago. I could see a renovation into apartments, but who would want to live in an old homeless shelter?

I dunno, the same type of people who live in 100 year old renovated warehouses and factories?

Union Mission up for sale. Could it sprout a tower? I'm curious to see. It obviously needs to be torn down. It was built 100 years ago.

Which makes it kind of a historic structure, and I'd hate to see it torn down. We should probably focus our new construction efforts on SPQ and leave this one for renovation.

the last thing Norfolk needs to do is tear down the Union Mission building. It would be better for the city to renovate it and reuse the building for something else...probably a condo or apartment conversion would be ideal for the building. I think it would be in the city's best interest to have the last resort be tearing down a building and to make sure there are many more options that could be done before the last resort.

the last thing Norfolk needs to do is tear down the Union Mission building. It would be better for the city to renovate it and reuse the building for something else...probably a condo or apartment conversion would be ideal for the building. I think it would be in the city's best interest to have the last resort be tearing down a building and to make sure there are many more options that could be done before the last resort.

I totally agree. Not many historical buildings left downtown. Save the dinosaur.

Come on guys. Historical is like the seaboard building. The Union Mission Building was a YMCA,then a homeless shelter. Is a building just historical because it's old?

&& What do y'all think about the color scheming going on downtown with the light rail?

Red tracks, green poles, blue+white trains! I think it's going to look kind of wierd. But at least you can't say you didn't know there were train tracks if you get hit by one.

Edited by varider

• J. Jill, a women's clothing chain, reopened it's only southside retail store at MacArthur after closing in July.
  • Omar Boukhriss, one of the most enterprising retaurateurs in downtown Norfolk, opened his fourth venture in the city on Friday at the TowneBank Fountain Park, part of the newly renovated Town Point Park on the waterfront. Omar's Fountain Cafe will serve lunch from 11 a.m t 3 p.m daily and dinner from 5 to 9 p.m. Thursday through Saturday.The outdoor dining patio, with table service, willoperate seasonally through fall this year. The menu features sandwiches, hotdogs, and other light fare as well as beer and wine for dinner. The cafe also will ofer freelive music concer Thursdays and Fridays through October.

Edited by varider

Come on guys. Historical is like the seaboard building. The Union Mission Building was a YMCA,then a homeless shelter. Is a building just historical because it's old?

&& What do y'all think about the color scheming going on downtown with the light rail?

Red tracks, green poles, blue+white trains! I think it's going to look kind of wierd. But at least you can't say you didn't know there were train tracks if you get hit by one.

For many cities, it takes more than just being old to be historical...though just about any building beyond a certain age can be registered...but in Norfolk's case, the city has chosen to level over 90% of its historic downtown, thus leaving only a few examples of it left today. If you need reason for it to be historic, it was constructed by John D. Rockefeller in 1909 and is a great example of early 20th Century architecture.

Edited by urbanlife

I just hope that they power wash the red paint off the brick. One of my pet-peeves: painted brick....

I think someone might have mention that it is a pool in the building. It would make for an excellent historical hotel. Make it very classy, spa and all. I know it was not to be seen back in the day, but turning it into a homeless shelter was a waiste of a building like that....

Well, back in the day, you couldn't have paid someone to stay in downtown Norfolk. And, that was where the poor people gathered. And now, coming full circle, some people want to move the poor people that live near downtown out to the latest place that no one wants to live at. And eventually, that place will be the hottest real estate buy, and folks will want to move them yet again.

:dontknow: