The Good News Report

atlrvr

This is MLS soccer news but it is good news:

""A dose of Messi Mania might help Charlotte FC fill bank of America Stadium for the Major League Soccer team’s home finale on Oct. 21. On Wednesday, as news spread of Lionel Messi’s move to MLS club Inter Miami this summer, fans began snapping up tickets to Inter Miami games. 

A Charlotte FC spokesman told CBJ the team decided to put upper level tickets on sale immediately without notice and promptly sold 600 seats. For most home games, only the lower bowl — with capacity for 35,000 people — is used. 

There are exceptions: For Charlotte FC’s home opener this season, more than 69,000 fans attended as BofA’s full capacity of 75,000 was available. In 2022, Charlotte FC’s first home match in club history set a league single-match record with 74,479 fans in the stadium.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/06/07/charlotte-fc-messi-ticket-sales.html

• Like 4

Charlotte is quite skewed toward sprawling single family but good Lord Houston is at 13k single family houses vs. 7.6k for Multifamily housing. 

Raleigh is up there too in being skewed heavily towards single family. Austin’s growth is surprisingly skewed towards Multifamily. 

Below is the break down of single family vs. Multifamily 

701AEB45-5F4F-4A4C-936B-23848C182109.thumb.jpeg.02ef81d01da094cdf921520b0c505f3f.jpeg

C8B22FBC-D91A-4449-B3AE-3C58400345C2.thumb.jpeg.025eba9ff71490a0d7aa55d26303a024.jpeg

Another accolade for North Carolina's economic development "prowess"!  However, personally, I am a little cautious of the viability of the VinFast project with all of the negative financial issues surrounding the company...I guess wait and see!

https://wraltechwire.com/2023/06/19/nc-tops-another-economic-development-list-this-time-a-platinum-shovel/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

"While the suburbs are growing, there are still plenty of urban developments underway in the Carolinas’ top markets. Some examples include Space Craft’s The Joinery in Charlotte’s Optimist Park neighborhood, Aventon Bees Ferry, a 394-unit property in Charleston’s West Ashley submarket by Aventon Cos., and a new high-rise in downtown Raleigh by Alchemy Properties South and New Valley Realty."

I don't get this article, there are around 18,000 units proposed between LoSo, South End, Uptown, NoDa, Optimist Park, Villa Heights, Plaza Midwood, West End, and Sugar Creek. And they represent this by calling out a single apartment building in Charlotte's urban area.

Typical bias anti-Charlotte and minimalism reporting off non-Charlotte based media outlets. This is why I don't care unless context is provided that it's a metro area of 3 million that is seeing explosively growth levels. 

23 hours ago, atlrvr said:

I dunno.  I mean, sure, The Joinery as a single-anecdote is a bit odd, but the article wasn't anti-urban in my opinion, but rather highlighting the demand for more urban-style products in areas that have very limited supply of that (suburbs) in the Carolinas.

Posters on an urban development site might be dismissive of the trend, but I do think awareness that demand exists (and developers certainly seem aware) is important.

What does it say about the value proposition of being in Charlotte vs suburbs?  Do the suburbs have the necessary infrastructure?   If we go into a recession, would the trend of suburban rent growth outperforming urban rent growth reverse?

I dunno I feel like it glosses over the fact that urban and suburban growth are really in lockstep in cities like Charlotte, and as far as necessary infrastructure goes, there doesn't seem to even be a sewer installed yet on West Tremont to support the massive growth happening over there. So I'm not sure our urban neighborhoods have the necessary infrastructure.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Hampton must've changed a lot? I have bad memories of my visits there.

Their award is heavy on citizen engagement. The All America City Award isn't really a "best place to live" ranking on amenities, jobs, tourism, urban development, et. but how well a community works together with constituents to solve issues and try to move a city forward. 

Re Hampton's award:

"The City of Hampton doesn’t have a “city” plan; it has a community plan developed by 1,500 to 3,000 residents, business owners, property owners, educational institutions, and a variety of non-profits and associations over a two-year period. The plan guides the future of land use, city governance, the school system, and the community.  Civic engagement in Hampton doesn’t stop with the community plan, participation avenues range from online surveys, social media outreach, community discussions, steering groups, and boards and commissions. Residents have a real voice in policy and directly participate in the design and implementation of community programs.  "

Charlotte's award summary called out the following: 
1.) Mayor's Youth Employment Program

2.) CMPD Community Services Division w/ Youth Diversion Program

3.) CMPD Community Affairs Division

https://www.nationalcivicleague.org/2023-all-america-city-finalist-charlotte-nc/

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

It’s great news. And Charlotte is going to be riding in Education as well. Eventually the Wake Forest Med school will have a full MBA program, nursing school, pt/ot school, PA school, and maybe even a wing of the law school.

If that goes well near uptown I suspect we might see another big name private school bring a MBA and Law program here. Probably not medical. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

It’s great news. And Charlotte is going to be riding in Education as well. Eventually the Wake Forest Med school will have a full MBA program, nursing school, pt/ot school, PA school, and maybe even a wing of the law school.

If that goes well near uptown I suspect we might see another big name private school bring a MBA and Law program here. Probably not medical. 

Today's CBJ  "Ally Charitable Foundation donates $5M to Atrium Health to boost its workforce program" by Symone Graham

Excerpt:  "Ally Charitable Foundation's largest investment to date included a recent $5 million donation to expand Atrium Health's workforce development program." ... "The investment also established the Ally Charitable Foundation Workforce Development Center of Excellence and a scholarship fund."  “Because of this partnership, I’m excited that the students who participate will be the next generation of amazing doctors, nurses and allied health professionals who will walk the hallways of Atrium Health,” said Gene Woods, president and CEO of Atrium Health."  ... "Ally's workforce scholarship fund, established with $1 million of the $5 million investment, will provide $50,000 in scholarships per year to Carolinas College of Health Sciences." ... "According to Ally, more than 7,000 health-care job vacancies currently exist in the Charlotte region. The foundation's investment aims to help meet that need."

Link:  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/11/17/ally-charitable-foundation-donation-atrium-health.html

• Like 3