The Good News Report

atlrvr

46 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

for the first half of 2023 Charlotte metro is 5th Highest in the nation in absorbing apartments beating out much larger metros like Atlanta, DC metro,  and Denver.    This should show all how fast we are growing.   We absorbed 5257 apartments ahead of Nashville, Atlanta, Raleigh Durham, Orlando, Austin etc.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/news/2023/07/12/apartment-delivery-slowing-rental-market.html?

why is this good news?  we are building so many and will continue to do so.  

It will also encourage banks to continue to loan in the area 

• Like 3

this relates to my post above about new apartment absorption we the Charlotte region is gaining 113 new residents DAILY 

https://charlotteregion.com/news/2023/07/11/alliance-news/number-of-people-moving-to-charlotte-region-climbs-to-highest-level-in-more-than-a-decade/

Population growth attract employers and of course new construction of all sorts. 

• Like 4

If we had this kind of positive absorption in office space instead of industrial warehouse space we would have to be building multiple 40 plus story office towers.  Alas this is all industrial warehouse space  4.2 Million sq ft of industrial space has been absorbed the first half of this year!  This segment in the commercial real estate world is en fuego 

https://www.cbre.com/insights/figures/charlotte-industrial-figures-q2-2023

• Like 3

SouthEnd's transformation is both exciting and impressive. On the other hand, it actually make me a little sad to reflect on First Ward. I know they are different, but I can't help but think a well executed First Ward full of midrises and retail could have been awesome. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, J-Rob said:

SouthEnd's transformation is both exciting and impressive. On the other hand, it actually make me a little sad to reflect on First Ward. I know they are different, but I can't help but think a well executed First Ward full of midrises and retail could have been awesome. 

1 less signature destination retailer for an epicenter reboot.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/27/2023 at 2:00 PM, rancenc said:

Good news for the taxpayers in this case! Incentives are just not thrown around.  Companies have to deliver on their end for sure!

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/southeast/2023/07/27/732392.htm

That's an interesting twist to the work at home debate. Obvious in retrospect but it never occurred to me. Seems as though we need some legislation that defines where taxes are paid. Perhaps in this case it should be a 50/50 split based on state of residence and state where you're.... is. What should it be? Can't use the IT infra as it could all be cloud based. Does anyone know if that's been debated and what the options considered and chosen were?

Makes me wonder about the Philly city employment tax. Where they recognized many people lived in DE and commuted thus paying no taxes in Philly and legislation was passed to make company's located in Philly withhold tax for those workers. This is old info and I didn't have time to look if they still had that when covid hit. I always felt that was something we could learn from vis-a-vis SC commuters.

• Like 1

^ Suburbanites have an entirely parasitic relationship with the cities where they work (or once worked), their consumption of city resources without contributing fully to their costs is the biggest reason why American cities have been declined since the 1950s. State DOTs bulldozed urban neighborhoods to build freeways and cities razed old buildings (reducing the urban tax base) for the sole reason of accommodating this pestilence.  Charlotte sees the largest economic costs from South Carolina suburbanites who don’t even pay state taxes [thanks to CLT 2014 for clarification]— we need toll booths at the city limits.

[I am not sure what Union County resident peed in my Corn Flakes this morning]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2023 at 4:23 PM, KJHburg said:

this relates to my post above about new apartment absorption we the Charlotte region is gaining 113 new residents DAILY 

https://charlotteregion.com/news/2023/07/11/alliance-news/number-of-people-moving-to-charlotte-region-climbs-to-highest-level-in-more-than-a-decade/

Population growth attract employers and of course new construction of all sorts. 

The number is higher but for some reason Union County is no longer included in this particular data. Strange

On 7/11/2023 at 3:00 PM, Blue_Devil said:

New HQ in Charlotte. Rail company TTX relocating their HQ here from Chicago, with an average salary of 162,000. They are taking 70k office space as well, but no confirmation on which building or area yet

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/07/11/ttx-co-to-relocate-hq-from-chicago-to-charlotte.html

I'd put my money on the line they're going to a millennial neighborhood near train tracks in a colorful new building where you get a view and drink

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kermit said:

^ Suburbanites have an entirely parasitic relationship with the cities where they work (or once worked), their consumption of city resources without contributing fully to their costs is the biggest reason why American cities have been declined since the 1950s. State DOTs bulldozed urban neighborhoods to build freeways and cities razed old buildings (reducing the urban tax base) for the sole reason of accommodating this pestilence.  Charlotte sees the largest economic costs from South Carolina suburbanites who don’t even pay state taxes — we need toll booths at the city limits.

[I am not sure what York County resident peed in my Corn Flakes this morning]

York residents that commute to jobs based in NC pay NC income tax for that job. Corporations like Bank of America withhold all their earnings to NC and the employee would file an NC return. They would pay SC income tax on dividend earnings, interest income, et. outside their job. 

On the flip side, RedVentures employees living in South End pay South Carolina income taxes if they are based at the Indian Land campus.

The state where the employee is a resident then collects anything in excess if the tax formula in the residential state results in a higher bill than the state of employment. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

York residents that commute to jobs based in NC pay NC income tax for that job. Corporations like Bank of America withhold all their earnings to NC and the employee would file an NC return. They would pay SC income tax on dividend earnings, interest income, et. outside their job.

I stand corrected, I forgot about withholding. York County residents are no more villainous than Union County residents -- but they are all still vampires draining  the city's blood. My apologies.

• Thanks 1