Southend Living

Perhaps I am naive or just not aware of the issues....but what seems to be the major problems?? Sure South Blvd is not easy to cross all the time but isnt that what crosswalks are for? And what is the issue with the sidewalks that are currently there. I guess I am just not aware of the problems, and what the "easy" fixes are???

I'm of the impression, based on my own observation and even what is said in the article, that South End has been targeted as a dense, pedestrian oriented neighborhood since at least 2004 (again, citing the article) but frankly we all know well before that.  During, let's say, the last 14 years since 2000, there has been very little pedestrian improvements to an area that continues to densify, an area the city the city targeted long ago.  

Just sit at WOB or honestly, anywhere down SB.  The few crosswalks that do exist are like death traps, the sidewalks are too thin in many areas and A LOT of people cross back and forth over SB (soon to be even more).  The only portion of SB I even feel reasonably comfortable crossing is at East/West blvd.  There may not be an "easy" fix, but it's been an issue that the city as ignored for some time now.  I'm honestly stunned there aren't more car related pedestrian injuries than there currently are.  We shouldn't just accept mediocrity because it's a difficult task.  That's all I'm saying.

Just sit at WOB or honestly, anywhere down SB.  The few crosswalks that do exist are like death traps, the sidewalks are too thin in many areas and A LOT of people cross back and forth over SB (soon to be even more).  The only portion of SB I even feel reasonably comfortable crossing is at East/West blvd.  There may not be an "easy" fix, but it's been an issue that the city as ignored for some time now.  I'm honestly stunned there aren't more car related pedestrian injuries than there currently are.  We shouldn't just accept mediocrity because it's a difficult task.  That's all I'm saying.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. So why does it go ignored, is it a matter of "technically it's not a problem and we have other things we would like to piss our money away on"? Or is it a matter of the effort doesn't want to be expended? Lack of funds in general? I feel like this is one of those things that going to take a majorly tragic event to get some traction for change.

Edited by Jayvee

It's bad. The hypocrisy of the whole area pisses me off. The city and developers market this area as a walkable, hip neighborhood. Which it isn't!

The area needs traffic calming, bike lanes, ground floor retail, conforming architecture, etc. I've ranted about this before, South End will not be the hip area everyone wants it to be if changes aren't made. Anyone questioning the walkability of the area has not experienced it. The area is such a mismatch of suburban and urban elements. It needs to be one or the other. Charlotte does not get urban design.

I actually don't have much hope for South End, I've said it before. If changes aren't implemented soon the future is bleak for the area. I think Plaza and many of the neighborhoods on the Blue Line Extension have a better chance at a truly urban experience. South End was the city's first attempt and so far it has failed. The corrections will be made too late to save South End, IMHO. As mentioned in the article any of the corrections I mentioned are far from being addressed.

Rant done.

^Southend is very walkable... minus south blvd. West of the death trap it is very easy to cross any street at any time, with a plethora of options and a fun vibe (despite some similar superblock complexes), so I don't feel like Southendhas failed or that it will ever be too late to save it.

South Blvd does need to be addressed sooner rather than later, I just feel that it doesn't take away from the potential of Camden Rd and the rest of Southend.

... And I really wish the Gold District thing didn't vaporize. Has anyone seen anything since December about that!?!?

• Like 1

^Southend is very walkable... minus south blvd. West of the death trap it is very easy to cross any street at any time, with a plethora of options and a fun vibe (despite some similar superblock complexes), so I don't feel like Southendhas failed or that it will ever be too late to save it.

South Blvd does need to be addressed sooner rather than later, I just feel that it doesn't take away from the potential of Camden Rd and the rest of Southend.

... And I really wish the Gold District thing didn't vaporize. Has anyone seen anything since December about that!?!?

I totally agree. Camden is actually on the right track, and I have some hope for thoughtful development along Tryon and Summit towards uptown. I think the Camden/Park/West retail scene is going to cross a threshold when Gallery and 1616 are open, where there is enough of a concentration that they start to help each other like the businesses in most stroll districts do.

I do have very little confidence in the issues on South Blvd getting solved, but I consider that the border of Southend not its center. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Southend has started to put "Take One, Leave One" book boxes around the community.   Essentially they look like large bird houses that allow you to take a book in exchange for leaving one behind.  It's all based on the honor system, but there were a few around DC when I lived there and they seemed to be popular.   The first one is located at the Design Center with others planned at the Trolley Museum and Atherton Market.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The corner space at West/Camden that used to house a law office is now available. I really hope it is a suitable space for more boutique retail, like Blank Canvas around the corner, or even could be converted into a 2-story bar (as many bars as we have in Southend, I actually do think we need a couple on Camden!). That row of storefronts really has a great feel, but is underutilized right now with the majority of the current occupants. I also am optimistic for something interesting taking the Bang & Olufsen space, which may already be happening as it looks like there is some interior work going on. 

• 3 weeks later...

Pinot's Pallet appears to be done in Atherton Mill.

Sycamore looks fantastic (other than some landscaping issues like the chainlink that still exists between it and the rail trail) and its opening will completely change the character of Hawkins. This change combined with Publix and all the new apartments positions Atherton Mill to be a hotspot -- granted a hotspot with poor visibility and difficult access. The center has an interesting combination of morning / daytime traffic generators (the Market), lunch and dinner generators (Luna's and Big Ben) plus whatever the icehouse is. These existing uses really should create some interesting opportunities for new coffee shop, restaurant and bar tenants adjacent to Luna's as well as in the gym space (my fingers are crossed that it will eventually go away). 

The only real missing ingredients are 1) a ped bridge over the LRT to the rail trail (topography makes this vaguely practical), 2) signage and 3) making it possible to cross South blvd without risking death (and a couple dozen other things I haven't thought of). I hate seeing Charlotte's best assets lie fallow.

One of the major things that stood out to me in Austin were the distinct bar/entertainment districts.  Charlotte could really use a devoted area to this.  We seem to have little pockets here & there, but I'd love to see the stretch on S Tryon (from Catherine to Camden) & Camden turn into a real entertainment district.  It seems to be heading that way, but man it would be cool to see fully realized.

One of the major things that stood out to me in Austin were the distinct bar/entertainment districts.  Charlotte could really use a devoted area to this.  We seem to have little pockets here & there, but I'd love to see the stretch on S Tryon (from Catherine to Camden) & Camden turn into a real entertainment district.  It seems to be heading that way, but man it would be cool to see fully realized.

I actually think the Gold District is going to become this. Mint St.

Thats my overarching hope for Elizabeth Ave, but yes Camden does seem to be heading this direction, the city in general seems to have clusters popping up. I would even say NoDa and PM are bar/entertainment districts in their own right.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Southend finally becomes urban: Parking meters are going up along Camden. I noticed them along the Price's block and the CM block (I wasn't paying attention around the Tremont end of the street). Sure would be nice if they earmarked the revenue from the meters to a rail trail construction and maintenance fund....

In a related note, Phat Burrito now has breakfast every day.

Rail trail adjacent to Silos part II should re-open this week. The section between Spectrum and Sycamore will be a couple more weeks.

Speaking of the rail trail, my wife and I are donating $$ to the rail trail on behalf of Urban Planet and I recommend that everyone who can does the same. If you want a copy of the donation for please message me.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed this morning that Inner Peaks has a 'coming soon' sign on an old warehouse between Brookwood and the Gas Station on Tryon (between Rampart and Dunavant but on the other side of Tryon). If this is for real then I think the revitalization of the Tryon portion of Southend is fully underway.

Apologies if this was posted before.

Speaking of WOB a friend posted on facebook they were told WOB is closing and it's going to be rebranded as "Helles and Dunkel". No inside source, they're just a regular at the trivia night haha

Not really sure what that is, but assuming its German based lol.

Also, has this been mentioned??

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lady-M-Gallery/561159660679174

Lady M Gallery opening right next to Craft, looks very interesting.

I noticed this morning that Inner Peaks has a 'coming soon' sign on an old warehouse between Brookwood and the Gas Station on Tryon (between Rampart and Dunavant but on the other side of Tryon). If this is for real then I think the revitalization of the Tryon portion of Southend is fully underway.

Apologies if this was posted before.

That is awesome, I hear Inner Peaks are a ton of fun. Guess that will probably gentrify that trailerpark-esque thing there huh?
Edited by Jayvee

I'm surprised about WOB. People have had their complaints about service, but honestly I never had issues. I used to go all the time. I took on the challenge of making it to the 100 club (accomplished), and then I sort of lost interest after I hit that milestone (and I had a kid around that same time, which of course puts a damper on enjoying the bar scene). But it was always at least mildly busy while I was there and I really enjoyed the place - ordering food from a nearby restaurant or a food truck outside and enjoying some new beer discoveries.