Southend Living

Ferguson opens up 8,000 + the engineering firm is looking to leave & that opens up 15,000 sq ft. That's enough space for a Urban Outfitters & Old Navy type retailer. My guess is they have a multi phase plan that removes most of the current parking lot.

Oh wow, yeah if all that opens I stand completely corrected. That's a ton of space and would be GREAT to see the Mill transform from glorified offices to pure retail. I would argue that those 2 and Edens are the "odd men out" when it comes to the other shops in there. Would be great to see them go (not out of business just out of here haha) and quickly filled up by a clothing retailer. Anyone know how the Fitness Studio is doing? They occupy a huge space and i can't imagine them lasting long.

With the Ferguson and Kimly Horn & Associates spaces + the 3 avail now, I would venture to guess thats close to 35k sq ft of space :)

Edited by Jayvee

• 3 weeks later...

So, I went to the SouthEnd Publix today for lunch. Really cool store! They had several cooking stations with samples to try - all tasty, and they sucked me in to buying the stuff they were serving, which I normally don't do, but the quality and simplicity got me, even though I am normally one to make chicken molé from scratch with 27 ingredients over a couple hours of cooking rather than using a pre-made sauce.

There is one cooking station over by the deli where they feature a certain recipe for a few days at a time. They are always there, cooking and giving tastings to customers. The great thing about it is that it is not just a pre-packaged meal. You actually have to make it from a recipe, which they provide. And what truly is awesome is that there is a case right beside the station with every ingredient that you need to make the recipe.

I spent most of my brief lunch visit there to get a sandwich at the deli and look for hard-to-find products that I can't get at Harris Teeter. The main thing I found as far as products go is that they had 5 brands of pepperoncini peppers (an addiction of mine). HT sells only one - HT Traders, and they suck. I am looking forward to trying the different brands Publix carries. The Italian sub that I got there might just be the best Italian sub I have had in Charlotte. It's a bit pricey at $5.69 for a 6-inch, but damn, it was amazing. Really, really amazing. They had a hot bar which during lunch was all Asian. But they also had a counter hot bar serving fried chicken, rotisserie chicken, a few other entrees, and sides. They have an olive bar and salad bar too, putting it pretty much on par with what HT has for ready food. The prices for groceries were meh - I didn't see anything that could match HT's prices for the stuff I normally buy. I actually think HT is cheaper on my first look, but keep in mind I didn't really do a full shopping trip - more like a preview showing of the store. Nevertheless, those subs will keep me coming back.

I'm not about to say the Publix is better than HT overall, but a strong contender for sure. I need another few experiences at the store to make my real opinion.

A few notes after being away from the hood for a week:

Much to my amusement the new self storage place at Tryon and Griffith looks better than many of the nearby apartment complexes (it has a nice 3-4 story glass corner frontage and has a few architectural flourishes breaking up the big walls). I guess Southend really does have a low bar for design.

Gutting and renovation at Inner Peaks (Tryon and Rampart) is well underway.

Ramen joint in the old Bite Your Tongue spot (Bland St Station) should open in "May" according to the sign. They have already set out new patio planter / barriers.

I have only driven by a couple times but I gotta say that nothing about the Publix entry way and building design draws me in. It feels kinda inaccessible for both drivers and pedestrians. Although I guess I could say the same about the East blvd Teeter. 

Edited by kermit

A few notes after being away from the hood for a week:

Much to my amusement the new self storage place at Tryon and Griffith looks better than many of the nearby apartment complexes (it has a nice 3-4 story glass corner frontage and has a few architectural flourishes breaking up the big walls). I guess Southend really does have a low bar for design.

Gutting and renovation at Inner Peaks (Tryon and Rampart) is well underway.

Ramen joint in the old Bite Your Tongue spot (Bland St Station) should open in "May" according to the sign. They have already set out new patio planter / barriers.

I have only driven by a couple times but I gotta say that nothing about the Publix entry way and building design draws me in. It feels kinda inaccessible for both drivers and pedestrians. Although I guess I could say the same about the East blvd Teeter. 

It makes me sad how right you are about the storage unit property.  It looks so much better than 90% of the apartments along s blvd at street level.  Le sigh.

After my first visit to Publix, I declare it to be....

A grocery store.

Good bakery and prepaired foods, Teeter level produce, mediocre beer selection.

Meh

Beer selection mostly stinks, but their branded foods/prepared/bakery blows Teeter out of the water. But other than that, yeah just a grocery store haha

Publix is definitely where the Southend youngsters (e.g. in their 20s) shop.

I like the Teeter better due to the wider bakery selection (Publix looks great, but the range of stuff they offer is pretty limited), better meat (I think), and (most importantly) age-appropriate ladies for me to look at.

They were really struggling to get the delivery truck out of the lot this afternoon.

This is a mixture of topics but the end game effects this so it goes here.

As previously discussed, Kimley-Horn and Associates is officially leaving Atherton Mill. They are moving to 200 S Tryon (2nd floor). This move opens up a MASSIVE space in the mill. With the (seemingly) big push to make Atherton a retail hub this opens a lot of awesome opportunities.

I don't think this has been mentioned before, but it looks like Shu and Brief have closed in SouthEnd. I have driven by a few times and its nothing but empty shelves and naked mannequins. There is a sign on the door, but I was in a rush to get to my office so I didn't pull in to see what it said. Anyone know if they are truly closed or relocating? I never really though that building was a good spot for them - it would have been much better in the retail spaces that we'll soon have on Camden (but of course they aren't there yet, so...).

I just answered my own question by looking at their facebook page:

SHU has moved...

We are now 100% online at www.shusalon.com and no longer located inHistoric South End, Charlotte.

Watch for a HUGE clearance sale around the corner. We will send out a discount code to save BIG!

Bring on the new adventures,

Dan the Shoe Man

So I'm assuming the same for Brief even though there is no mention of it on their FB page. So with Blush, that's 3 boutiques (even though Shu/Brief were really the same place basically) that have moved out of SouthEnd this spring to become online boutiques. Ugh.

I just answered my own question by looking at their facebook page:

So I'm assuming the same for Brief even though there is no mention of it on their FB page. So with Blush, that's 3 boutiques (even though Shu/Brief were really the same place basically) that have moved out of SouthEnd this spring to become online boutiques. Ugh.

Which is fine with me if we get some better retail in there, which I am optimistic about. None of those were ever a great fit for the neighborhood IMO, feeling like they were seeking more of a South Park clientele. In 1 more year and farther down Camden, or at Atherton maybe they would fit in. I wish we could bring Niche back to life...even though it wasn't fully my style it was a very cool asset to the neighborhood when it was around. 

The ground floor spaces in the building opposite Tryon from there, that used to house Modern Lighting Showroom and Canine Cafe, and then were disappointingly replaced with office space for the last 3-4 years, now have available for retail signs in the windows again. I have my fingers crossed. 

Edited by nonillogical

I'll be completely honest when I say I'm not exactly sure what a chop shop is, but I can imagine.

I wonder the odds of Chop Shop choosing SouthEnd as a location? Or more venues that make NoDa special would cluster in certain areas of SouthEnd.

Some things on my wish list would be for SouthEnd to get "poser" stuff of NoDa. I'm not saying SouthEnd should try and be like NoDa, but to try & replicate some of NoDa's success.

I'd also like to see a skate park in SouthEnd.

I'm not an artsy person nor would I really go to a place called chop shop, but I absolutely love the element they bring to certain areas.

I think SouthEnd has a potential to be a place a diverse group of people would like to live & visit. It also is gaining a lot of critical mass also. In a couple years, I plan on relocating there.

That's just my perspective which done of y'all might disagree with. I don't visit SouthEnd to often but when I do, I really love it

Well, Southend already has similar size venues covered by Tremont (easily one of the least "bro-y" places in Charlotte ironically) and Amos'. I would rather see Chop Shop remain in the general NoDa area since its become such a key part of the scene there, and as I said in that thread some time ago, Neighborhood Theater, while a great venue, is NOT pulling its weight with booking of a good variety of shows under its new management. What Southend could use is an Evening Muse or Double Door equivalent, a very small venue and bar that caters to local and niche acts. 

• Like 1

SE & NoDa have very different character to be sure, & I'm perfectly happy for that to be the case. Different strokes, different folks and all that.

My money is on Chop Shop relocating into another warehouse space close to NoDa, possibly around N Tryon/Atando especially with NoDa Brewing opening up over there.