Westin Aloft and residences

vdogg

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like they have The Aloft Hotel residences on the Planning commission Agenda for July 8th 2009. A conditional Use permit. My guess is they are breaking ground very shortly. What a beautiful addition it will add to the town center. They permit was deferred back in Feb 11th. But I guess its going aback afloat since they got financing. Here is the list for the agenda for the 8th.

Town Center Phase IV Westin Aloft Agenda

Page 10 people!

http://www.vbgov.com/file_source/dept/mcg/...20FAQ%20_4_.pdf

A 15-story tower with a 162-room Westin Aloft hotel and 195 apartments. The hotel

will feature a conference center that doubles the available meeting space at Town

Center. An enclosed walkway will connect the conference center to The Westin.

Anthropologie, a women’s clothing, accessories and home d

http://www.vbgov.com/file_source/dept/mcg/...20FAQ%20_4_.pdf

The title for the thread is a little off :mellow: & I didn't know their would be a pedestrian bridge!

:lol: I think the title is just fine. The pedestrian bridge between Aloft and the Westin was always planned. I didn't want the title/description to be a mile long so I didn't put that part in originally.

:lol: I think the title is just fine. The pedestrian bridge between Aloft and the Westin was always planned. I didn't want the title/description to be a mile long so I didn't put that part in originally.

No, the title says 165 rooms and 192 apartments but it's actually 162 rooms and 195 apartments. Haha.

No, the title says 165 rooms and 192 apartments but it's actually 162 rooms and 195 apartments. Haha.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the pedestrian bridge. Well if were splitting hairs then yeah, there seems to have bee an 3 room deduction in the number of rooms/apartments. Probably a cost saving measure. I'm surprised it wasn't actually more honestly.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the pedestrian bridge. Well if were splitting hairs then yeah, there seems to have bee an 3 room deduction in the number of rooms/apartments. Probably a cost saving measure. I'm surprised it wasn't actually more honestly.

Hmm...Wait a minute. This is just plain confusing now. I think I may have the old pdf still stored on my computer, I'll have to look at it. I might have just transposed numbers.

Kinda off the topic but.. home and accessories store... ala... Crate and Barrel perhaps? :rolleyes:

That is what I was thinking will be coming in on the ground floor on VB Blvd in the Gateway Tower (or whatever it is called now). The rendering of that side looked exactly like a Crate and Barrel design...

E-mail from the city of Virginia Beach :angry:

Design work on the Westin Aloft hotel is underway, with projected start of construction in the first quarter of 2010, Town Center is trying to secure tenants for the office tower, and design and construction timing in indeterminate at this time. Gateway Bank was acquired by Bank of Hampton Roads, who TCA is still working with to take space in the office tower. Cynthia Spanoulis in our office can provide information on the Pembroke SGA plan.

I don't think bank of hampton roads is going to lease any space in town center when they already have their headquarters in norfolk and all their employees there.. VB has two fortune 500 companies, amerigroup and stihl inc. that they should try and get to occupy an entire office building or else it will be a while before one is built.. norfolk is still the financial center of hampton roads.

I dont see Stihl needing to move from where they currently are in VB...though I could see Amerigroup being talked into moving, provided they can handle the move and are in need of more space...I dont see them wanting to move if they are not thinking of expanding because moving a business can be costly.

I could see HR Bank occupying space there, I just dont see them occupying alot of space at the town center.

I think it'd be cool if all our fortune 1000 companies were all in either downtown norfolk or virginia beach.. Dollar tree is headquartered in a spread out facility in greenbrier, smithfield hams is obviously in the rural part of hr, etc.. Amerigroup has like 3 enormous buildings off I-64, I don't think they'd move, I don't know how VB plans to build a world class downtown with 165 urban blocks without any businesses to be there. Norfolk has corporations willing to occupy an entire office building, VB doesn't.

I just found out on the informal Session for July 14th 2009. The Westin Aloft and residences will have more apartments. Its 219 Apartments and 162 hotel rooms, 26k retail space on the bottom floor. My guess was they had to add more apartments in order to get finacing..And with everyone trying to get a place in town center. Its like is own city in the city. People are flocking to Town center to live. the building design is contemp modern. It will still be 15 stories. IT was approved on the 14th by city council and the planning dept with no opposition for a Conditional Use permit. They Hope to break ground before the end of this month.. thats the great news!.

IT was approved on the 14th by city council and the planning dept with no opposition for a Conditional Use permit. They Hope to break ground before the end of this month.. thats the great news!.

According to the email varider got from the city they're not breaking ground till the beginning of 2010. That is unless they were confusing the start of construction on this building with that of the office tower.

Financing has been secured. :)

Mark Wawner reported the following regarding Town Center:

Phase IV (Block 2 and Block 9)

Block 9 - financing secured for hotel and luxury apartments via HUD Section 220 loan program - which was also utilized for the Cosmopolitan. Anticipate ground breaking First Quarter 2010.

Saffron Indian Bistro at the base of the Cosmopolitan Apartments opened

• 1 month later...

I do not understand why they are having another city council meeting tomorrow for the westin to be approved again?...Was the plan deferred because of the new architectural design and they wanted to get everything done and finalized?.. If you go to the vbgov site and go to city council sessions. current agenda.. It will say.. recommedation approval. My guess is they had to defer it because they were not satisfied with the design.. So they change the building layout and design to get final approval from the city...

CITY COUNCIL AGENDA

25 AUGUST 2009 2pm

4. Application of TOWN CENTER ASSOCIATES for a Conditional Use Permit re: multifamily

dwellings at Block 9 within Town Center.

DISTRICT 5 - LYNNHAVEN

RECOMMENDATION APPROVAL

I do not understand why they are having another city council meeting tomorrow for the westin to be approved again?...Was the plan deferred because of the new architectural design and they wanted to get everything done and finalized?.. If you go to the vbgov site and go to city council sessions. current agenda.. It will say.. recommedation approval. My guess is they had to defer it because they were not satisfied with the design.. So they change the building layout and design to get final approval from the city...

CITY COUNCIL AGENDA

25 AUGUST 2009 2pm

4. Application of TOWN CENTER ASSOCIATES for a Conditional Use Permit re: multifamily

dwellings at Block 9 within Town Center.

DISTRICT 5 - LYNNHAVEN

RECOMMENDATION APPROVAL

The plan was approved by the planning commission. The planning commission provides this approval recommendation to the city council. Nothing bad has occurred, this is part of the normal process that every project takes. 99.99999% of the time, the city council votes for the planning commission recommendation. This may even be on the consent agenda, thus requiring no hearing and just a quick vote.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived