Westin Aloft and residences

vdogg

I snagged some pictures of the "not a park" in Town Center.

Here's the first half, taken Monday:

IMG_3234-1.JPG

(Bad framing because I was trying to keep my camera out of the rain.)

Here it is finished, taken this afternoon.

IMG_3288-1.JPG

I'll get some ground-level pictures when they remove the perimeter rope. They may possibly (speculation) remove it this Saturday for the TC Art & Wine festival. They did build up a mound to allow for water runoff; it is not flat.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll get some ground-level pictures when they remove the perimeter rope. They may possibly (speculation) remove it this Saturday for the TC Art & Wine festival. They did build up a mound to allow for water runoff; it is not flat.

Thanks for the photos, well its not a 15 story mixed use building..... but at least it is not a nasty construction staging area anymore. Should be a nice place to attract people to Town Center until AH gets financing.

IMG_3234-1.JPG

IMG_3288-1.JPG

Thanks for the pics! Whats the sidewalk in the corner for?

PS: Jealous! I wanted to move into the Cosmo. but I ended up in NOVA!

Thanks for the pics! Whats the sidewalk in the corner for?

PS: Jealous! I wanted to move into the Cosmo. but I ended up in NOVA!

When the construction site was still there, they carved out the corner for some type of event office (read: trailer), and they made the sidewalks for that. The green statue is King Neptune. I believe the office was for Beach Events, which coordinates most of the Town Center events, including the upcoming Art & Wine Festival.

• 1 month later...

Change is in the air in Virginia Beach, as the city has developed several options that will enhance the convention experience from a product development standpoint. Future planning includes hotels, restaurants and entertainment. Also on the horizon is a new 162-room Aloft hotel, which is expected to open Spring 2012 in Virginia Beach’s new downtown area, Town Center.

Va Beach Convention & Vistors Bureau

I found some information pertaining to the Phase IV project which includes apartments and Aloft hotel.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a updated picture of the blueprints. Gives you a idea of how much retail space will be available on this one block.. They also did suveying on the block. there are orange flags all over the grass.. Im guessing there is a 3 foot perimeter for a sidewalk for trees and flower beds.. its defiantly an attractive project for sure

leasing-block9_big.jpg

Here is a updated picture of the blueprints. Gives you a idea of how much retail space will be available on this one block.. They also did suveying on the block. there are orange flags all over the grass.. Im guessing there is a 3 foot perimeter for a sidewalk for trees and flower beds.. its defiantly an attractive project for sure

Not new, at least two years old if you look at the date of the rendering in the bottom right

Not new, at least two years old if you look at the date of the rendering in the bottom right

Maybe not new, but nice to see from time to time...actually looking at the very limited amount of "valet" parking for the hotel made me wonder, does the Westin offer valet at their tower? Also, the weather has to be pretty good and sunny there and in a day and age where everyone has a digital camera, yet I havent really seen that many new pictures of the town center and surrounding area in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted: July 2, 2010

The%20Cosmopolitan%20Apartments.jpg By Danielle Walker

With plans for the Virginia Beach Town Center's completion in an indefinite freeze and high vacancy rates in at least one of the residential developments, it appears the $421.8 million project has outpaced market demand for now.

Further development has come to a screeching halt. Mark Wawner, project development coordinator for the city's department of economic development, said the initial completion date for 2014 was no longer applicable.

"We're waiting now," Wawner said. "Phase four was approved by City Council, but Armada Hoffler has put the project on hold until the economy has turned around.

"The start date is indefinite," he said about plans for construction continuation....

Town Center Phase IV Delayed Indefinitely

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like Town Center Phase IV could break ground in 2011.

Will Sessoms We have interest for some nice leases as we speak. If they come through perhaps we could begin in 2011. Obviously the economy is having a major impact on us moving forward.

That is a link to Sessoms facebook page, which is wholly and totally irrelevant to the quote you just posted. Can you post a link to the actual quote please?

Scroll Down Will Sessoms Facebook wall. and you will see my name. Harry Strait.. asking about Phase IV Town Center. Looks like they demolished the old Bingo Hall next to where the Bills Flea Market Use to be.. Sounds like they have something big planned for that land from Independence to Horace Street. That is one very large parcel of land

Scroll Down Will Sessoms Facebook wall. and you will see my name. Harry Strait.. asking about Phase IV Town Center. Looks like they demolished the old Bingo Hall next to where the Bills Flea Market Use to be.. Sounds like they have something big planned for that land from Independence to Horace Street. That is one very large parcel of land

With that amount of land, they could build a Superwalmart!

......:shok::sick:

Yeah there is noway they can build a big box retailer in the Pembroke Strategic Growth area. Its zoned as dense!. and the City will not allow a walmart in the Future downtown area. They want skyscrapers

well until there is a real press release about this one, I am gonna say there is a huge difference between what the city would like to see happen there and what is actually happening there. I doubt there is going to be any new construction on anything there or in Pembroke in general until next summer at the earliest. The most that can be hoped for is concrete plans for future developments.

And demolishing of a building just means that they are demolishing a building. Often times that will happen on a site that is meant for redevelopment because it makes more sense to have the lot be vacant than to have an abandon building acting as a liability.

And demolishing of a building just means that they are demolishing a building. Often times that will happen on a site that is meant for redevelopment because it makes more sense to have the lot be vacant than to have an abandon building acting as a liability.

IF Harry is true (and that is a major if nowadays) The Bingo hall was not empty but being used before, which might indicate some kind of activity. I dont think we will see a major development though until something happens at Town Center (ie phase IV starts)

Ok. So you basically have to add him as a friend first. If you click on his page and you're not on his friends list, all that pops up is the info page and not the wall. I got the impression that the info page was where u were saying the quote came from cause that is all that came up. That said, I'll try not to get my hopes too far up until they actually confirm they have contracts signed for the space in the tower. They've had many prospects over the past few years, all of which fell through. We've been here before unfortunately. If this actually does happen in 2011 though I'll be ecstatic.

IF Harry is true (and that is a major if nowadays) The Bingo hall was not empty but being used before, which might indicate some kind of activity. I dont think we will see a major development though until something happens at Town Center (ie phase IV starts)

Even still, if the cost of the building insurance doesn't match the return on rent it is often times easier to kick people out...or if there were any leases that were expiring it would also make sense to not renew if there is possible future plans for redevelopment....but I still think it will be about a year before seeing something like the Aloft rise, and any major tower or redevelopment project probably won't even begin any real traction until next summer.

• 9 months later...

Archived