Westin Aloft and residences

vdogg

All I can say, even if development is stalled, is that in a few years from now when the economy picks up again, TC is gonna be sweet! Infact, I think we should start calling the collective development with TC at the core, the "City Center" or better yet, "Downtown" Virginia Beach! Afterall, thats what it is.... Right?

Such projects like Canary Wharf in London went under and filed bankruptcy when the England economy took a hit back in the day...now that area is completely built up and still growing...though the two areas are much different, but still the example that the TC will still continue to grow once things get back on their feet is a given.

I think right now, it would be very smart for the city to try and jump on the federal money for rail projects as much as they can in order to increase development projects in the area...that should help kick start the city's economy back up.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of December 21, 2009

Public and Private Investment:

 The public investment of $83.6 million for public parking garages and infrastructure in Phases

I, II, and III of the Town Center project is based on a commitment of $365 million in private

investment. The public-private investment ratio through Phase III is 1 to 4.4.

 Phase IV, approved by City Council on December 9, 2008, consists of a proposed public

investment of $56.4 million and private investment of $158 million. The public-private

investment ratio through Phase IV is 1 to 3.7.

 Construction of Phase IV is contingent upon economic conditions and the availability of

financing. Commencement of construction on Block 2 and 9 is planned for summer 2010.

Found this information in the TIF_2009 report

Well at least we know the contruction is on its way.. I am guessing the Phase IV project will be done August 2012. About the same year The Beach Centre project

is finished. Another town center project at the oceanfront on 31st street/laskin for the laskin gateway project

As of December 21, 2009

Public and Private Investment:

 The public investment of $83.6 million for public parking garages and infrastructure in Phases

I, II, and III of the Town Center project is based on a commitment of $365 million in private

investment. The public-private investment ratio through Phase III is 1 to 4.4.

 Phase IV, approved by City Council on December 9, 2008, consists of a proposed public

investment of $56.4 million and private investment of $158 million. The public-private

investment ratio through Phase IV is 1 to 3.7.

 Construction of Phase IV is contingent upon economic conditions and the availability of

financing. Commencement of construction on Block 2 and 9 is planned for summer 2010.

Found this information in the TIF_2009 report

Well at least we know the contruction is on its way.. I am guessing the Phase IV project will be done August 2012. About the same year The Beach Centre project

is finished. Another town center project at the oceanfront on 31st street/laskin for the laskin gateway project

I don't understand how you came to this conclusion. This is nothing more than a report for the status of TIF for Town Center and says nothing more than phase IV is contingent upon economic conditions and financing which has already been called into question. Do you have some inside information that we don't have?

• 3 weeks later...

Way to take the thread backwards. That is seriously old news and has no bearing on the fact that this project has stalled at the moment.

One thing to note on this project and the Westin in downtown Norfolk, is that Starwood (the parent company both Westin and aLoft) took a serious hit in profits last year, so they probably did not have the capital to start a new project, even if it was guaranteed to be profitable:

http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2010/02/05/332135/starwood-forecasts-rebound-in-2010-despite-fourth-quarter-losses-of.html

• 3 weeks later...

I also have more updated information!

Block 2

(1.372 ac)

Proposed High-Rise Office Tower,

Retail, and

Parking Garage

and Parking Garage

$3,137,600

601 spaces Complete:2011

Block 9

(1.012 ac)

Proposed Hotel,

Apartments, and

Retail; current temp construction building AH

160 room

195 units

Complete:2011

Block 11

(3.025 ac)

Current parking for One Columbus Center;

Proposed for future office/residential/Cinema development—land only

TOTAL ASSESSMENTS (TAXABLE AND NON-TAXABLE) $541,433,300

I also have more updated information!

Block 2

(1.372 ac)

Proposed High-Rise Office Tower,

Retail, and

Parking Garage

and Parking Garage

$3,137,600

601 spaces Complete:2011

Block 9

(1.012 ac)

Proposed Hotel,

Apartments, and

Retail; current temp construction building AH

160 room

195 units

Complete:2011

Block 11

(3.025 ac)

Current parking for One Columbus Center;

Proposed for future office/residential/Cinema development—land only

TOTAL ASSESSMENTS (TAXABLE AND NON-TAXABLE) $541,433,300

Where did you get this information? What site, and if not a site, what is the latest date on this info?

It looks like they are cleaning up block 9.. there is a mobile dumpster there and its filling up with junk from the block.. Seems like they are getting ready to break ground in march.. Never seen this much work being done in a months time.. just cleaning up and getting ready

If they haven't actually torn down that little house yet then I wouldn't say it was grounbreaking, more like site prep if that. Were there any construction vehicles on site? Cleaning up the site could also mean that the city wanted them to clear it up to make it more presentable, much like Norfolk made Granby Tower clear some of the stuff from their site and open the street lanes back up.

It looks like they are cleaning up block 9.. there is a mobile dumpster there and its filling up with junk from the block.. Seems like they are getting ready to break ground in march.. Never seen this much work being done in a months time.. just cleaning up and getting ready

Once again.... That dumpster has been there for ages (at least a year) and has been filled up with junk for months. You have been saying "groundbreaking next month" for the past year. I'm not even thinking about this project any more. It could be years before it starts construction. Stop fillling the board up with false hope.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a Council Session for March 9th that was describing property at Market Street in Town Center.

3. Application of TOWN CENTER ASSOCIATES, LLC to EXTEND satisfaction of the

conditions for twelve (12) months in the closure of a portion of Market Street (approved

March 24, 2009) DISTRICT 5 - LYNNHAVEN

RECOMMENDATION APPROVAL

Are they getting ready to breakground soon on westin aloft hotel/apartments?

Current Agenda for March 2009

There was a Council Session for March 9th that was describing property at Market Street in Town Center.

3. Application of TOWN CENTER ASSOCIATES, LLC to EXTEND satisfaction of the

conditions for twelve (12) months in the closure of a portion of Market Street (approved

March 24, 2009) DISTRICT 5 - LYNNHAVEN

RECOMMENDATION APPROVAL

Are they getting ready to breakground soon on westin aloft hotel/apartments?

Current Agenda for March 2009

In permitting, site conditions permits typically last for twelve months. If the work has not been done within the alloted time the project has to be resubmitted and has to go through the permitting process all over again, which means resubmitting drawings and all the other goodies. This is more than likely a hearing to agree to extend the 12 month time frame an extra twelve months to keep the developer from having to start from ground zero when they do get the go ahead for construction. The original condition was met March 29, 2009 so there time was coming up, this is just a move to get an extension without affecting the permit process of the project. This has nothing to do with actual construction.

Great news People.. Westin Aloft Hotel/Apartments is getting ready to start Contruction. It looks like Beatty Harvey Fillat Architects A New York City firm has submitted the plans and is keeping the current design. Looks like they spruced the project up abit with more trees and more architectural design,. not just blah.. I have proof. The rendering is amazing looking with the anthropolgie store facing the plaza instead of the park. Here you go

Click on the site

Westin Aloft Hotel Apartments

Go to portfolio

on the boards

Enjoy!

Block 9 Residences & Hotel, Virgina Beach, VA

This new complex will be attached by a bridge to the existing Westin Hotel & Conference Center in Virginia Beach. It will contain large conference rooms, an outdoor rooftop plaza and a 110 key hotel. Rounding out the development of this block will be the retail base and a perimeter residential apartment complex.

It looks good, much like what it was going to look anyway, but with a little bit more of a typical modern day urban touch to it that you would find in any other city.

Good to hear it will be starting soon. City news is usually not that much fun when there is nothing new being built.

Great news People.. Westin Aloft Hotel/Apartments is getting ready to start Contruction. It looks like Beatty Harvey Fillat Architects A New York City firm has submitted the plans and is keeping the current design. Looks like they spruced the project up abit with more trees and more architectural design,. not just blah.. I have proof. The rendering is amazing looking with the anthropolgie store facing the plaza instead of the park. Here you go

Click on the site

Westin Aloft Hotel Apartments

Go to portfolio

on the boards

Enjoy!

Block 9 Residences & Hotel, Virgina Beach, VA

This new complex will be attached by a bridge to the existing Westin Hotel & Conference Center in Virginia Beach. It will contain large conference rooms, an outdoor rooftop plaza and a 110 key hotel. Rounding out the development of this block will be the retail base and a perimeter residential apartment complex.

While the rendering is new (though I don't know why CMSS was cut out), nothing in there even remotely indicates this is getting ready to start construction. No where does it even say that. While this site does deal often in rumor, members should have the reasonable expectation that the people providing such information are at least acting in good faith. As you are already aware, I've deleted some posts and threads that appear to act contrary to that spirit. It is ok to speculate, but full disclosure dictates that you indicate you're speculating instead of passing off such information as fact.

You better look again

Click on the double rendering pic and click on summary.. Shows you the details

These are preliminary images of various projects that are now in design, construction documents are about to begin construction here at our firm

I'm not disputing the details of the project, which have remained essentially the same even though it seems to have been transferred to a new architect. I am however disputing your claim that this means the project is starting soon. It does not. There is no information that lists a specific date or even a general date. The closest statement I can find, which may be what you're referring to, is this: "These are preliminary images of various projects that are now in design, construction documents or about to begin construction here at our firm." If this is the case then it appears that you zeroed in on 1/3 of the statement while ignoring the rest. I would love to hear that this thing is starting tomorrow. I am holding out hope that we'll hear at least something from Sessoms to indicate the project will at least start this year. I think it will, but absent an article or developer statement we really have nothing to go on.

Yeah but its funny how the Westin Aloft Hotel residences is the first thing you see when you click on the link ''on the boards'' its like they are getting ready to start.. most companies wait til spring to break ground because of foundation issues... So I believe they will start at the end of this month or maybe the beginning of April

Yeah but its funny how the Westin Aloft Hotel residences is the first thing you see when you click on the link ''on the boards'' its like they are getting ready to start.. most companies wait til spring to break ground because of foundation issues... So I believe they will start at the end of this month or maybe the beginning of April

That is quite a jump, there is a difference between idle speculation and confirmed fact, and they way you stated earlier you implied is as a fact when it is not the case.

Archived