South Ridge (Church St. and University Ridge)

legend2308

So 3 Walmarts in like a 4 mile diameter?

Why not just buy out Kmart on Mill.

Wonder if they will consider the old shopping center on Laurens between Haywood and Woodruff. Seems to be their MO lately. You have to remember ausrutherford that this will most likely just the be the neighborhood market which is the grocery store part. The Woodruff Road Walmart is 6.5 miles away and a 10-15 minute drive (optimistically). The Pelham Road Walmart 8.5 miles away and about a 15 minute drive. This could really help the Laurens Road area and bring new retail to the Haywood Road area. Hope they stick to the Haywood master plan even though this particular location would be right out of it.

Wonder if they will consider the old shopping center on Laurens between Haywood and Woodruff. Seems to be their MO lately. You have to remember ausrutherford that this will most likely just the be the neighborhood market which is the grocery store part. The Woodruff Road Walmart is 6.5 miles away and a 10-15 minute drive (optimistically). The Pelham Road Walmart 8.5 miles away and about a 15 minute drive. This could really help the Laurens Road area and bring new retail to the Haywood Road area. Hope they stick to the Haywood master plan even though this particular location would be right out of it.

Remember that there used to be a Walmart on Laurens, kinda weird that they would move back.

But, i guess a neighborhood market would be nice for that area. Theres only the sole Bi-Lo for Verdae and everyone there now.

Man, I wish Walmart would consider somewhere near downtown. Maybe even the west side of downtown, past the library? That's not the most elegant area and so people couldn't complain that it's lowering any standards.

Don't count on that last part. A Walmart was announced for Olympia, which is in worse shape than the Westside, and people still criticized it. They didn't stop it though.

Remember that there used to be a Walmart on Laurens, kinda weird that they would move back.

Good point, ausrutherford; Walmart used to be in the "Old Time Pottery" building, so why open a store one block over?

...But here's something to chew on. Wallyworld is looking at Haywood, right? And Toys-R-Us is moving to Magnolia, right? So you'll have an empty Circuit City, empty Toys-R-Us, and a few small shops in between that can easily be moved. Plus, there is that planned "strip mall" on the current Fluor property by Stax Grille...

I don't know, but it sounds like a primo spot...

(Yes, I'm ignoring the wide open land by Harbor Inn just to start a baseless rumor.) :shades:

Good point, ausrutherford; Walmart used to be in the "Old Time Pottery" building, so why open a store one block over?

...But here's something to chew on. Wallyworld is looking at Haywood, right? And Toys-R-Us is moving to Magnolia, right? So you'll have an empty Circuit City, empty Toys-R-Us, and a few small shops in between that can easily be moved. Plus, there is that planned "strip mall" on the current Fluor property by Stax Grille...

(Yes, I'm ignoring the wide open land by Harbor Inn just to start a baseless rumor.) :shades:

Haywood definitely has lots of options, including the old Pharmor. Like someone else has already stated: the most important thing for any new development on Haywood Road is for the masterplan to be followed.

That might be a good place for a grocery only walmart...though they better re-engineering the traffic there, its already terrible.

TJ Maxx and DSW are slated for the Toys R Us space once they move. Chipotle is also planned.

Crescent Place was cancelled I believe.

Edited by citylife

• 2 weeks later...

Does the new Certus Bank at Church and Augusta have to go up for review? Looks like they have started work (although you cant really see because the whole thing is surrounded by covered fences.

No to design approval and yes to construction starting. Glad to see 4240 Architecture is the design firm which makes me hopeful.

Edited by citylife

I drove past the new Certus Bank at the corner Church/Augusta and looks like some of the foundation has been poured. While it is not directly to the street corner, it does look as if the building will be pushed very close to the sidewalk and all parking will, for the most part, be in the back and further down towards Tindal Ave which runs behind the building.

Glad to see 4240 Architecture is the design firm which makes me hopeful.

Yeah, because we don't have any qualified local architecture firms around here that can design a bank. Way to support our local business. Maybe we'll end up with another bare concrete mine shaft like they're putting up downtown.

Yeah, because we don't have any qualified local architecture firms around here that can design a bank. Way to support our local business. Maybe we'll end up with another bare concrete mine shaft like they're putting up downtown.

CertusBank and everybody else has the right to choose any architecture firm they see fit whether that be local or national. It's the same case as with where consumers decide to eat and shop. In my opinion, that concrete mine shaft with hundreds of high paying jobs by the way still looks better than a lot of the projects local architecture firms have designed around here recently like 98 East McBee and Riverwalk.

Edited by citylife

I drove past the new Certus Bank at the corner Church/Augusta and looks like some of the foundation has been poured. While it is not directly to the street corner, it does look as if the building will be pushed very close to the sidewalk and all parking will, for the most part, be in the back and further down towards Tindal Ave which runs behind the building.

Steel is now going up for it. Definitely appears to be up against the sidewalk for the most part.

• 1 month later...

in the Greenville Journal, is the inaugural issue of the Upstate Business Journal. No TBA column, but maybe this is just a skip week. Rendering and article on Certus branch is in this issue. It is suppose to be very cutting edge.

It might cutting edge, but its ugly. It looks like the 80's threw up and had a baby. Preformed tan concrete with a flat roof line and a completely flat facade. There is nothing exciting about the exterior of the building.