South Ridge (Church St. and University Ridge)

legend2308

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.greenvill...urchStreets.pdf

PDF now includes rendering of University Ridge as well. I saw the full color renderings last night at the Alta Vista meeting. As you would expect, they look much better than the duotone ones. BTW, the site the developer is buying is 8.5 arces and stops at the creek. The Pearl Street frontage is not part of the deal at this point.

The neighborhood generally approves although their is sentiment among some to make it look more traditional. Given the target market and the fact that it adjoins the AV neighborhood and is not actually a part of it, I think a more modern look is quite appropriate.

The parcel B portion is less dense on purpose, so that it conforms to the Haynie-Sirrine plan. I personally feel it serves no purpose to reduce the density (and thereby broaden the footprint) in order to do so. When the plan was written 10-11 years ago, the entire site was covered in single family homes. It is understandable that the directly impacted residents wanted to see the denser part 'hug' the Church/University Ridge intersection then. But those homes are long gone, and the rationale simply isn't there now.

The Brio is 6.5 stories and is noticeable further away from the core than this project. There is no reason that ANY of the buildings on this site couldn't be 4-6 stories, IMO. I'd like to see the city offer to relieve the developer of that constraint, and see if they want to make any revisions (ie more units, more commercial, more density) based on that. By ordering a revision of the Haynie-Sirrine plan, the city is already acknowledging the original plan is out of date.

Edited by vicupstate

They are planning a 6k sq. ft. restaurant on site.

I was at the Alta Vista Neighborhood association meeting last night. The Beach Company was there and said they have no plans for the 16k sq ft retail/commercial portion at this time, and are not in talks with anyone. They did say they could in-vision a small market and possibly destination type small shops like a coffee shop.

Also, only the 8.5 acre portion of the 11-12 acre parcel are under contract and the Beach Company does not have any plans to pursue the area off of Pearl at this time.

As far as design goes, there was some push back from the residents who thought it looked "too modern". A few residents were also worried about the parking garage and traffic around football games. For the most part, most residents seemed to be in support of the idea but did have minor concerns. The group was much more receptive than when the Walmart presentation was done.

The apartments were said to built as Class A apartment. SQ FT Ranges - Studio 500-550, 1 Bdrm 750, 2 bdrm 1200, 3 bdrm 1400-1750. I jotted these down quickly so they are approximates. The developer said they had not set the rates yet but McBee station would be what they planned to base the rates off of.

http://www.greenvill...urchStreets.pdf

PDF now includes rendering of University Ridge as well. I saw the full color renderings last night at the Alta Vista meeting. As you would expect, they look much better than the duotone ones. BTW, the site the developer is buying is 8.5 arces and stops at the creek. The Pearl Street frontage is not part of the deal at this point.

The neighborhood generally approves although their is sentiment among some to make it look more traditional. Given the target market and the fact that it adjoins the AV neighborhood and is not actually a part of it, I think a more modern look is quite appropriate.

The parcel B portion is less dense on purpose, so that it conforms to the Haynie-Sirrine plan. I personally feel it serves no purpose to reduce the density (and thereby broaden the footprint) in order to do so. When the plan was written 10-11 years ago, the entire site was covered in single family homes. It is understandable that the directly impacted residents wanted to see the denser part 'hug' the Church/University Ridge intersection then. But those homes are long gone, and the rationale simply isn't there now.

The Brio is 6.5 stories and is noticeable further away from the core than this project. There is no reason that ANY of the buildings on this site couldn't be 4-6 stories, IMO. I'd like to see the city offer to relieve the developer of that constraint, and see if they want to make any revisions (ie more units, more commercial, more density) based on that. By ordering a revision of the Haynie-Sirrine plan, the city is already acknowledging the original plan is out of date.

I agree with your statement on the modern look being appropriate, and also that the parcel B needs some work and hope the City will agree. I was unable to stick around... did the developer mention anything about their projected timeline?

Thanks. Looks awesome. Love all the glass and the design. They dont show the other part of the building which is further down Church St. although I think that will be the drive through. Interesting blurb on the bottom:

4240 is participating in the branding and designing facilities for the new CertusBank corporate urban campus in Greenville, South Carolina. Projects include executive offices, administrative offices, a training center and flagship retail space, as well as the design and roll out of a new regional brand bank prototype that offers customers a unique way to bank.

Wonder what a "flagship retail space" is?!

Thanks. Looks awesome. Love all the glass and the design. They dont show the other part of the building which is further down Church St. although I think that will be the drive through. Interesting blurb on the bottom:

4240 is participating in the branding and designing facilities for the new CertusBank corporate urban campus in Greenville, South Carolina. Projects include executive offices, administrative offices, a training center and flagship retail space, as well as the design and roll out of a new regional brand bank prototype that offers customers a unique way to bank.

Wonder what a "flagship retail space" is?!

I would say the flagship retail space is their branch inthe ONE project.  

I think the design looks sleek and modern.  I'll wait until it is done to cast a final judgement.  BTW, the rendering is the parking lot side, not the Church St. side.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20121202/DOWNTOWN/312020030/Apartment-developers-downtown-their-sights?odyssey=tab{sodEmoji.|}topnews{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE

Article in today's Greenville News reviews all of the projects that are in the works.  Also, it quotes the County Manager and County Council chairman regarding selling County Square for redevelopment.  Both men seem very open to the idea, and have a not 'if' but 'when' attitude.

Edited by vicupstate

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20121202/DOWNTOWN/312020030/Apartment-developers-downtown-their-sights?odyssey=tab{sodEmoji.|}topnews{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE

Article in today's Greenville News reviews all of the projects that are in the works.  Also, it quotes the County Manager and County Council chairman regarding selling County Square for redevelopment.  Both men seem very open to the idea, and have a not 'if' but 'when' attitude.

Good, look forward when all the county eyesores down there move out.

My God....the "when" attitude has gone on for YEARS. About time "when" turned into action.

Confused here..... This seems to be saying by reducing the number of units there will be less need for a parking deck. Is the parking deck an issue.....really?????? The parking deck is one of the very few elements that makes this development at least feel partially urban in nature. Are they wanting a bunch of surface parking instead of a deck?

If they reduce the number of units to appease these "neighbors", the Beach Company should walk away from this. The closest neighbors live on the other side of Sirrine Stadium, and this gentleman lives on Crescent Ave. The parking structure in no way affects his home or the character of the neighborhood. I don't see the City requiring any reduction of units. That's a ridiculous request in this instance, IMO.