Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

4 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Downtown Orlando is not even Urban in my opinion. It's the closest thing to it in Central Florida but that's it. Everything else in Central Florida is suburban and will be so until this region decides to build different. Lake Nona was that opportunity and they chose to keep it suburban which it is. I just can't understand why it's referred to as urban. The definition of urban is subjective so I'll likely never wrap my head around ones reasonings for referring to such place as urban. 

I'd argue From Florida Hospital to Orlando Health and all in between including EA is bringing more value to Orlando than Lake Nona. Although Lake Nona is Orlando city limits so it doesn't matter at the end of the day honestly. 

The conversation comes down to ones liking of the style of how things are being built which you and I likely aren't going to see eye to eye on. 

Okay, in that case I completely agree with you and share the same sentiments! I try and use context when speaking about what is urban here. So I definitely don’t use urban in the context of global urbanism, I use it in the context of Central Florida urbanism. 

So I would never speak about Orlando or Lake Nona when I talk with friends and family in Miami, Atlanta or D.C. about real estate or urbanism  

I won’t disagree with you one bit on that point!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Urbo said:

Okay, in that case I completely agree with you and share the same sentiments! I try and use context when speaking about what is urban here. So I definitely don’t use urban in the context of global urbanism, I use it in the context of Central Florida urbanism. 

So I would never speak about Orlando or Lake Nona when I talk with friends and family in Miami, Atlanta or D.C. about real estate or urbanism  

I won’t disagree with you one bit on that point!

Ahhh nevermind then. We're actually on the same page.  See me in learning. I grew up in Orlando and thought it was the greatest city in the world u til I started noticing how other cities were built and I was like Oh . 

I just want the city to reach its maximum potential. I feel like we underutilize land in an already widly spread metro area and we aren't talking the transit issue so at least we should create as many walkable neighborhoods as possible before we keep using all of our land outward. Don't want to be another Houston. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Urbo said:

nothing comes out as originally planned, but doesn't mean it lacks value. Lake Nona will be one of the largest life science clusters in the southeast. what is the gripe with this development that is nationally acclaimed by many others except the own residents of Orlando? You cannot name 5 other developments currently under construction bringing more value to the city than Lake Nona. Do you consider any development outside the city center urban? Or does a place have to be a pre-war neighborhood to be considered urban? im very curious...

whew, good thing Medical City got all the projects that it got BEFORE Burnham pulled out...I wonder how Scripps is doing down south...

2 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Ahhh nevermind then. We're actually on the same page.  See me in learning. I grew up in Orlando and thought it was the greatest city in the world u til I started noticing how other cities were built and I was like Oh . 

I just want the city to reach its maximum potential. I feel like we underutilize land in an already widly spread metro area and we aren't talking the transit issue so at least we should create as many walkable neighborhoods as possible before we keep using all of our land outward. Don't want to be another Houston. 

Orlando is urban...a very small sliver of urban. It really is too bad they didn't have more development in the 1920's and 1930's, or, didn't tear down those historic buildings and instead built annexes and municipal buildings away from the actual historic core to preserve it.

Shoot, I laud Chicago all the time but last month I saw an historic photo of the original Federal Courthouse that they tore down to build the JC Klucinski & Dirksen buildings and the Alexander Calder Flamingo sculpture (similar setup to the Daley Center plaza.  What a shame...what a terrible shame...I almost shed a tear...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Orlando is urban...a very small sliver of urban. It really is too bad they didn't have more development in the 1920's and 1930's, or, didn't tear down those historic buildings and instead built annexes and municipal buildings away from the actual historic core to preserve it.

Shoot, I laud Chicago all the time but last month I saw an historic photo of the original Federal Courthouse that they tore down to build the JC Klucinski & Dirksen buildings and the Alexander Calder Flamingo sculpture (similar setup to the Daley Center plaza.  What a shame...what a terrible shame...I almost shed a tear...

It’s about to happen again with the demolition of the Sentinel newsroom. Not only did it have the city’s first escalator but also an amazing mural inside about the newspaper business. Many of the ideas as to its design were by its owner, Martin Andersen, one of the most important people in the history of Orlando.

We’re going to tear it down for a 7-Eleven or maybe a three story apartment complex.

Face it, folks, we haven’t learned a thing. A city’s history and a sense of place are what makes it special but we prefer to line the pockets of developers. Move along, nothing to see here, right?

• Thanks 1

Can we please try to keep this on topic? If you don't think its urban, and its adding no value as just another suburb, its real easy to just skip over this thread. Lake Nona's doing a lot of stuff, and those of us who are interested should be allowed to enjoy it. It appears at least half of us think Lake Nona is bringing something valuable to the area, let us enjoy it please.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s about to happen again with the demolition of the Sentinel newsroom. Not only did it have the city’s first escalator but also an amazing mural inside about the newspaper business. Many of the ideas as to its design were by its owner, Martin Andersen, one of the most important people in the history of Orlando.

We’re going to tear it down for a 7-Eleven or maybe a three story apartment complex.

Face it, folks, we haven’t learned a thing. A city’s history and a sense of place are what makes it special but we prefer to line the pockets of developers. Move along, nothing to see here, right?

Perhaps most interesting is that the folks most  willing to throw away the memory of Andersen are the ones who have the most in common with him. Andy was an old school conservative Texas Democrat when the party was run by the Dixiecrats and had never heard the name George McGovern. Remember, he sold his papers to the Chicago Tribune in the mid-60’s when it was one of the largest right-of-center dailies in the country. 

Edited by spenser1058

14 hours ago, aent said:

Can we please try to keep this on topic? If you don't think its urban, and its adding no value as just another suburb, its real easy to just skip over this thread. Lake Nona's doing a lot of stuff, and those of us who are interested should be allowed to enjoy it. It appears at least half of us think Lake Nona is bringing something valuable to the area, let us enjoy it please.

Could have skipped over much like you could have done yourself after the person and I have already talked about it?  Yeah okay. 

15 hours ago, aent said:

you're correct.  I think the psychosis here isn't a political one regardless of my persnipity posts.  I think Spenser's reply to my post about the Chicago Fed Cthse is what's wrong here.  Everyone knows Orlando has screwed the pooch on  preserving historic buildings downtown.  As a result they want new developments to supplement and fix these wrongs of the past.  Instead, downtown gets some stuff but other parts of the county get a ton of stuff-that could've benefitted DTO if built there.

I think Medical City is awesome.  But I wish the Wave building was downtown right off of I-4.  All that aside, I do like hearing about the progress Medical City makes year after year b/c it is gaining a national reputation which benefits Orlando.  Downtown Orlando doesn't gain a national reputation by itself, but, between Disney, Universal, the OCCC, and Medical City, all that press I believe will ultimately benefit downtown.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Perhaps most interesting is that the folks most  willing to throw away the memory of Andersen are the ones who have the most in common with him. Andy was an old school conservative Texas Democrat when the party was run by the Dixiecrats and had never heard the name George McGovern. Remember, he sold his papers to the Chicago Tribune in the mid-60’s when it was one of the largest right-of-center dailies in the country. 

when I said in my post your reply was "what's wrong here" what I meant was that your reply to my post illustrates what's wrong here ala what's wrong with downtown Orlando in that you hit the nail on the head.  FYI

3 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Lake Nona is ultimately a net positive for Orlando. It’s in the city limits and it’s a huge draw for people and companies. Yes, I wish it were closer to the core but at least it’s city of Orlando benefiting and not Osceola County or Disney.

What I find perplexing is that so many continue act as if Lake Nona exists in isolation when it is 5 minutes south of an international airport that has eclipsed Miami in domestic travel. 

Who shall we blame for this and how far does it go back? 

• Like 2

Exclusive: Tavistock picks Turner Construction to build Lake Nona office rumored for Disney

Aug 27, 2021, 4:09pm EDT
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/12085831/hq-b01*304xx2430-1620-285-0.jpg
Tavistock Development Co.

Construction on the future eight-story office building is expected to start in September 2021.

Another big Orlando office project — with a major rumored tenant — is expected to kick off construction soon despite challenges the real estate sector has faced during the pandemic.

Orlando-based Tavistock Development Co. plans to begin construction in early September on its eight-story, 280,000-square-foot office building at 13410 Veterans Way called Headquarters Office Building B, Tavistock spokeswoman Karlee Kunkle told Orlando Business Journal. Construction may wrap up in November 2022.

Tavistock selected New York-based Turner Construction Co. as the project's contractor, Kunkle said. Six contractors were shortlisted in January to build the project, OBJ previously reported. A Turner representative wasn't available for comment.

Kunkle declined to say how much the office may cost to build, but real estate sources previously told OBJ the office may cost $35 million-$40 million to build.

Among the future building's amenities, the project will feature View Smart Windows, which self-tint glass based on outdoor conditions.

The new office space will be an economic boon for the region as it may accommodate 1,640 full-time jobs, based on industry standards. New construction also is important as it creates temporary jobs. In addition, a new-to-Lake-Nona office user may act as a magnet to attract other corporations to come to the community.

Possible big tenant

Tavistock representatives declined to share information about the future building's tenants.

However, real estate sources tell OBJ that Burbank, California-based The Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS) is in talks to be a tenant in the building as part of Disney's plans to relocate 2,000 jobs to Lake Nona. Later, Disney would then move into its own compound in Lake Nona on property sold by Tavistock to Disney, sources say. However, sources say this is one option for Disney relocating jobs to Lake Nona and a decision isn't finalized.

Disney representatives weren't available for comment.

Meanwhile, Disney is in talks with Tavistock to build an age-restricted community in Sunbridge, OBJ previously reported. The planned new community would be like a smaller version of The Villages, a huge age-restricted community northwest of Orlando, sources told OBJ. It's unclear if a deal has been finalized.

Office stats

The airport/Lake Nona office submarket is a hot one.

Its average asking Class A office rent is among Central Florida's highest at $28.25 per square foot, compared with the overall Orlando-area average of $27.28 per square foot, Cushman & Wakefield PLC (NYSE: CWK) reported. The submarket's average office vacancy rate is 18.4%, higher than metro Orlando's average of 14.3%.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Urbo said:

Exclusive: Tavistock picks Turner Construction to build Lake Nona office rumored for Disney

Construction on the future eight-story office building is expected to start in September 2021.

Another big Orlando office project — with a major rumored tenant — is expected to kick off construction soon despite challenges the real estate sector has faced during the pandemic.

Orlando-based Tavistock Development Co. plans to begin construction in early September on its eight-story, 280,000-square-foot office building at 13410 Veterans Way called Headquarters Office Building B, Tavistock spokeswoman Karlee Kunkle told Orlando Business Journal. Construction may wrap up in November 2022.

Tavistock selected New York-based Turner Construction Co. as the project's contractor, Kunkle said. Six contractors were shortlisted in January to build the project, OBJ previously reported. A Turner representative wasn't available for comment.

Kunkle declined to say how much the office may cost to build, but real estate sources previously told OBJ the office may cost $35 million-$40 million to build.

Among the future building's amenities, the project will feature View Smart Windows, which self-tint glass based on outdoor conditions.

The new office space will be an economic boon for the region as it may accommodate 1,640 full-time jobs, based on industry standards. New construction also is important as it creates temporary jobs. In addition, a new-to-Lake-Nona office user may act as a magnet to attract other corporations to come to the community.

Possible big tenant

Tavistock representatives declined to share information about the future building's tenants.

However, real estate sources tell OBJ that Burbank, California-based The Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS) is in talks to be a tenant in the building as part of Disney's plans to relocate 2,000 jobs to Lake Nona. Later, Disney would then move into its own compound in Lake Nona on property sold by Tavistock to Disney, sources say. However, sources say this is one option for Disney relocating jobs to Lake Nona and a decision isn't finalized.

Meanwhile, Disney is in talks with Tavistock to build an age-restricted community in Sunbridge, OBJ previously reported. The planned new community would be like a smaller version of The Villages, a huge age-restricted community northwest of Orlando, sources told OBJ. It's unclear if a deal has been finalized.

Office stats

Its average asking Class A office rent is among Central Florida's highest at $28.25 per square foot, compared with the overall Orlando-area average of $27.28 per square foot, Cushman & Wakefield PLC (NYSE: CWK) reported. The submarket's average office vacancy rate is 18.4%, higher than metro Orlando's average of 14.3%.

You beat me to it again LOL.

Here is a very small rendering. 

Screenshot_20210827-171058.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Urbo said:

Possible big tenant

Office stats

Tavistock is preparing to deliver yet another great addition to the town center. This office building is adjacent to the office building KPMG recently tookover, and in front of the DNA garage. Check out some renderings and more details below. No slowing down the development of Lake Nona and excited to see more well designed, and dense projectsin the near future. There have been talks around the community of more deep pocket investors interested in the community. So this could be a placeholder for disney or lure another big name company to the area. Lets see!!

image.png.f6d2a57858a06acce2282ec2b8427960.pngimage.thumb.png.29763a7c792e5988c46fe8b3ab65fcd3.pngimage.thumb.png.b63408bc6d33746b05dfde7f876b4ec7.pngimage.thumb.png.237025060bc092d7c0501336c9877a93.pngimage.thumb.png.0478f099974c09c969e2e39e70ad47df.png

Edited by Urbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/27/2021 at 5:11 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

You beat me to it again LOL.

Here is a very small rendering. 

Screenshot_20210827-171058.png

I can't help it...I've gotta say it...

EA downtown should've been at least that tall...

there!

On 8/27/2021 at 5:13 PM, Urbo said:

Tavistock is preparing to deliver yet another great addition to the town center. This office building is adjacent to the office building KPMG recently tookover, and in front of the DNA garage. Check out some renderings and more details below. No slowing down the development of Lake Nona and excited to see more well designed, and dense projectsin the near future. There have been talks around the community of more deep pocket investors interested in the community. So this could be a placeholder for disney or lure another big name company to the area. Lets see!!

image.png.f6d2a57858a06acce2282ec2b8427960.pngimage.thumb.png.29763a7c792e5988c46fe8b3ab65fcd3.pngimage.thumb.png.b63408bc6d33746b05dfde7f876b4ec7.pngimage.thumb.png.237025060bc092d7c0501336c9877a93.pngimage.thumb.png.0478f099974c09c969e2e39e70ad47df.png

great project; fills in that lot nicely.  very broad; 

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting bit on GS tonight that a Disney affiliate has bought a $46 million plot in Nona where they plan to build a HQ for the previously announced 2,000 staff they are moving here. The staff announcement is not news- we've already heard about it- but the building site is a new development.  The early proposal is up to 1.8 million ft sq of office space at 13849 Boggy Creek Rd.

Disney actually appeared to pay a premium for the land as opposed to the sizable discounts we typically see corps of their size take.

The best part is the average annual pay  of the staff is $120k.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/gs-news-disney-office-lake-nona-deed-sale-20210917-khfnj3unfzey5hj6iiy6x7kgd4-story.html

also https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/09/17/breaking-disney-buys-orlando-land-tavistock.html

Edited by AmIReal

5 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Interesting bit on GS tonight that a Disney affiliate has bought a $46 million plot in Nona where they plan to build a HQ for the previously announced 2,000 staff they are moving here. The staff announcement is not news- we've already heard about it- but the building site is a new development.  The early proposal is up to 1.8 million ft sq of office space at 13849 Boggy Creek Rd.

Disney actually appeared to pay a premium for the land as opposed to the sizable discounts we typically see corps of their size take.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/gs-news-disney-office-lake-nona-deed-sale-20210917-khfnj3unfzey5hj6iiy6x7kgd4-story.html

also https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/09/17/breaking-disney-buys-orlando-land-tavistock.html

I was hoping they'd locate where the Town Center is to increase the urban foot print there. Guess they appreciate the direct connection to the airport and WDW more.

60 acres is a LOT of land for only 2,000 corporate employees. Sounds like they have bigger plans for the future. I wonder if the entire HQ workforce is in the cards over the coming years, which would be a big boost to Orlando's international profile.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jliv said:

60 acres is a LOT of land for only 2,000 corporate employees. Sounds like they have bigger plans for the future. I wonder if the entire HQ workforce is in the cards over the coming years, which would be a big boost to Orlando's international profile.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Agreed. The article mentions up to 1.8 million ft sq COULD be built and using industry standards the office COULD accommodate roughly 12,000 people.

On 9/17/2021 at 8:22 PM, WAJAS said:

I was hoping they'd locate where the Town Center is to increase the urban foot print there. Guess they appreciate the direct connection to the airport and WDW more.

Its the land immediately adjacent to the town center... so I guess it depends on if Disney continues the urban design and layout, then its really an expansion of the Lake Nona Town Center area. We'll have to wait and see what they build...

• Like 2

On 9/19/2021 at 3:30 AM, aent said:

Its the land immediately adjacent to the town center... so I guess it depends on if Disney continues the urban design and layout, then its really an expansion of the Lake Nona Town Center area. We'll have to wait and see what they build...

I will wager a bet that there is a much bigger announcement in the works than a divisional relocation, which will coincide with their reveal of their plans for what they plan to do with those 60 acres.   I wish it included a studio complex to replace the soundstages they are using in Fayette County outside at ATL (Trilium/Pinewood) for the Marvel films/TV shows, but that ship sailed 30 years ago!

34 minutes ago, jliv said:

I will wager a bet that there is a much bigger announcement in the works than a divisional relocation, which will coincide with their reveal of their plans for what they plan to do with those 60 acres.   I wish it included a studio complex to replace the soundstages they are using in Fayette County outside at ATL (Trilium/Pinewood) for the Marvel films/TV shows, but that ship sailed 30 years ago!

That would require the Tallahassee Idiots to get over their Hollywood Hatred (Georgia’s GOP had initially done that - it didn’t hurt that Coke at one point owned Columbia - although lately they’re following the Trumpists down the rabbit hole, too).

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...