Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

^^

Fantastic.  This should be the height of The Wave since the ceiling heights of the office floors are likely taller than those of The Wave.

It think it's great.  When you drive out of O'Hare, you see a bunch of office buildings on the side of the highway.  Now, Orlando has a similar thing going on to the south of the airport-- the north has had a bunch of development there for years.   

37 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

^^

Fantastic.  This should be the height of The Wave since the ceiling heights of the office floors are likely taller than those of The Wave.

It think it's great.  When you drive out of O'Hare, you see a bunch of office buildings on the side of the highway.  Now, Orlando has a similar thing going on to the south of the airport-- the north has had a bunch of development there for years.   

I think we’ll know what Disney’s real intentions are when the office buildings at lake Nona are revealed for their relocated departments.

Disney has a long history of showcase buildings that reflect the brand. If that shows up at Lake Nona, I think that’ll tell us more about their long term intentions to build out a major presence in Orlando.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I think we’ll know what Disney’s real intentions are when the office buildings at lake Nona are revealed for their relocated departments.

Disney has a long history of showcase buildings that reflect the brand. If that shows up at Lake Nona, I think that’ll tell us more about their long term intentions to build out a major presence in Orlando.

LOL.  Hard Rock built a 400' giant guitar in Hollywood.  Imagine if Disney builds a colossus in the shape of Mickey Ears (isn't it sick that "Mickey Ears" is capitalized.  That's branding for you).

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

LOL.  Hard Rock built a 400' giant guitar in Hollywood.  Imagine if Disney builds a colossus in the shape of Mickey Ears (isn't it sick that "Mickey Ears" is capitalized.  That's branding for you).

There is a sort of Disney corporate vernacular that shows up on both coasts — it’s this semi-post modern style mostly attributed to Robert Stern and Philip Johnson.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

There is a sort of Disney corporate vernacular that shows up on both coasts — it’s this semi-post modern style mostly attributed to Robert Stern and Philip Johnson.

...as long as it's not Baker Barrios (not that they should ever be the litmus test).  I'll take a big black box ala some of those 1960's Mies Chicago buildings.  This Florida style (non-style) is killing me to the point where when I go to places like Chi-Town I grab a sandwich and sit in Daley Plaza just gazing at the Daley Center asking why that can't be where I live in Orlando.  Shoot, I would settle for a 10 story version.  I get it...outdated lobby design, but if the building is gonna suck anyway, at least let it be an example of a renown architectural style.

You know, at NeoCity and O-Town West, they had designs for their two headlining towers that resembled big glass boxes.  Now, at NeoCity, that glass box is really just a glass box facade on only two sides, and the same holds true for the building they are going to build near White Castle.  I hope Disney doesn't fall prey to that down-designing devolution...

Edited by jrs2

20 hours ago, jrs2 said:

...as long as it's not Baker Barrios (not that they should ever be the litmus test).  I'll take a big black box ala some of those 1960's Mies Chicago buildings.  This Florida style (non-style) is killing me to the point where when I go to places like Chi-Town I grab a sandwich and sit in Daley Plaza just gazing at the Daley Center asking why that can't be where I live in Orlando.  Shoot, I would settle for a 10 story version.  I get it...outdated lobby design, but if the building is gonna suck anyway, at least let it be an example of a renown architectural style.

You know, at NeoCity and O-Town West, they had designs for their two headlining towers that resembled big glass boxes.  Now, at NeoCity, that glass box is really just a glass box facade on only two sides, and the same holds true for the building they are going to build near White Castle.  I hope Disney doesn't fall prey to that down-designing devolution...

Its been fairly obvious Neocity was going to be a poor man's Lake Nona. They did good for what they built, but I don't think there is any ability to do the quality nor the density of Lake Nona's plans in that area.

6 hours ago, aent said:

Its been fairly obvious Neocity was going to be a poor man's Lake Nona. They did good for what they built, but I don't think there is any ability to do the quality nor the density of Lake Nona's plans in that area.

I spoke to a colleague last year who told me the tale of why things went awry with that project

31 minutes ago, aent said:

Wasn't it also just a UCF Business Incubator? Which is somewhat dependant on interest from surrounding businesses and UCF provides a very small amount of support staff, no students.

UCF pulled out when the Republican Trumpist playboy DeSantis cut the funding for Neocity. 

Clearly this was a political motivation as DeSantis is dumpster fire in Osceola County.

Don’t fret though: the “poor mans Lake Nona” may have the last laugh.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

UCF pulled out when the Republican Trumpist playboy DeSantis cut the funding for Neocity. 

Clearly this was a political motivation as DeSantis is dumpster fire in Osceola County.

Don’t fret though: the “poor mans Lake Nona” may have the last laugh.

Next, they’ll be telling us the legislators doing their darndest to  eviscerate UCF (does Randy Fine ring a bell?) are Democrats…it’s like a bizarro universe or the episode of Trek where Spock has a goatee…

Edited by spenser1058

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Just for @Urbo and our other Noniacs, staffing has begun at The Wave. Opening is said to be later in the fall:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5793-branlard-joins-lake-nona-wave

From Scott J

I'm extremely excited for the opening of The Wave! This is the signature Lake Nona project and it's stunning. One of the most innovative and well designed buildings in Orlando. The new restaurants and bar are going to be amazing (see link below for unique dining details).

https://www.fb101.com/2021/10/revolutionizing-the-orlando-hospitality-scene-lake-nona-wave-hotel-introduces-transformative-dining-experiences/

What's most exciting is that now The Wave is almost complete, the Lake Nona Resort will get some attention and hopefully break ground in 2022 (also designed by arquitectonica, and will feature a crystal lagoon). Even more heavyweight projects in the pipeline for Lake Nona such as the Greenlink, Lake Nona Bridge, Disney Campus, Laureate Park South, SIMCOM Headquarters, The Vertiport, the Lake Nona Aloft Hotel (more on that next), and the list goes on. How can anyone not want to be a Noniac??

• Like 1

Lake Nona Aloft Hotel

6-story hotel, next to Drive Shack and north of S.R. 417.

Tavistock Development Company announced that Aloft Hotels will open a 205-key, music-themed hotel in Lake Nona across from Drive Shack.image.png.18bc3b75e489d8ddb8c1a7af6a57d79a.pngimage.png.0e4ca5b48100a264499e81aca8780390.pngimage.thumb.png.d5e3be591554da35415c174f1d820326.png

Orlando, Fla. – (Oct. 7, 2021) – Today, Lake Nona is announcing plans for an all-new Aloft Hotel, part of Marriott Bonvoy’s portfolio of 30 extraordinary brands. Incorporating a bold, vibrant design, the 205-room Aloft Lake Nona will showcase the brand’s signature music programming, lively social scene, and the hospitality industry’s latest technology. Located on Lake Nona Boulevard just north of SR 417, the six-story hotel will be minutes from Lake Nona’s top sports attractions including Drive Shack and the 100-court U.S. Tennis Association National Campus, and the Orlando International Airport. The hotel is scheduled to begin construction in early 2022 and open in fall 2023.

“We’re excited to continue our partnership with Marriott International and bring the like-minded Aloft Hotels brand to Lake Nona,” said Jamie Bruce, Vice President for Tavistock, owner and developer of Lake Nona. “Lake Nona’s passion for innovation coupled with Aloft’s bold, vibrant spirit make this hotel an ideal location where new hospitality innovations can be explored. We can’t wait for locals and travelers to experience the one-of-a-kind personality and amenities that the Aloft Lake Nona will offer.”

The hotel’s lobby space will feature open, collaborative lounges that can easily transition to a vibrant bar and concert space at night. The 205 loft-inspired guestrooms will welcome visitors with eclectic décor and design nods to the hotel’s music and technology roots that gives each guestroom its own character. Aloft Lake Nona will also include 15 one-bedroom suites featuring open floor plans and a mix of textures designed to make guests feel at home. Every room will include Aloft’s ultra-comfortable beds in an artful, clutter-free loft layout. Each guest floor will feature a hydration station with water fountain and ice to keep guests hydrated and refreshed.

Additional Aloft Lake Nona amenities include:

• Re:chargeSM 24-Hour fitness center
  • 24-hour business center and Tactic boardroom
  • Fast and free Wi-Fi
  • 9,000-square-foot outdoor Backyard entertainment area with Splash, a natural saline pool
  • Mobile check-in/check-out and keyless entry through the Marriott Mobile App
  • W XYZ® Bar and Re:mix® lounge featuring live music, games, cocktails and small bites
  • Re:fuel café offering grab-and-go menu of sweet, savory, fast and fresh options 24 hours a day

Aloft Lake Nona will also feature a 10,000 square-foot conference center and full-service restaurant. The flexible conference center will include a 6,000 square-foot ballroom and four additional meeting rooms that provide the latest high-tech equipment and ultra-fast Wi-Fi in all areas. The full-service restaurant will serve a gourmet menu of fresh and satisfying options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Aloft Lake Nona was designed by HC Architecture.

Aloft will be the fifth Lake Nona hotel project to open joining the dual-branded Residence Inn and Courtyard by Marriott, and SpringHill Suites. This December, the 234-room Lake Nona Wave Hotel will open in the Lake Nona Town Center. Once the Aloft Lake Nona opens, the community will be home to 796 hotel rooms.

https://www.lakenona.com/news/lake-nona-announces-plans-for-a-new-aloft-hotel/

image.png

image.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, codypet said:

I mean I usually like Aloft's quirky style, but that has to be the most boring Aloft exterior I've ever seen.

Yes I think the elevations sell it short. Eager to see some renderings. The elevations appear somewhat similar to the pictures at the bottom of the post. Just happy to see hotels continue to have faith in the Lake Nona market. The location is great, guest will be able to walk over to the Drive Shack for some entertainment and dining. And a cheap Uber ride to the town center. 

It’s not in the league of The Wave hotel but it’s a complimentary hotel addition to the area. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 12:51 AM, Urbo said:

I'm extremely excited for the opening of The Wave! This is the signature Lake Nona project and it's stunning. One of the most innovative and well designed buildings in Orlando. The new restaurants and bar are going to be amazing (see link below for unique dining details).

https://www.fb101.com/2021/10/revolutionizing-the-orlando-hospitality-scene-lake-nona-wave-hotel-introduces-transformative-dining-experiences/

What's most exciting is that now The Wave is almost complete, the Lake Nona Resort will get some attention and hopefully break ground in 2022 (also designed by arquitectonica, and will feature a crystal lagoon). Even more heavyweight projects in the pipeline for Lake Nona such as the Greenlink, Lake Nona Bridge, Disney Campus, Laureate Park South, SIMCOM Headquarters, The Vertiport, the Lake Nona Aloft Hotel (more on that next), and the list goes on. How can anyone not want to be a Noniac??

You must be a realtor.  You write like a Zillow ad. 

Edited by KnightBay
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, Urbo said:

Just for you @jgardnerucfA0F1BF03-17D5-444D-A7C0-32C6FE731851.thumb.jpeg.958ddd81b9ff4dd4f6b378445cb9c69e.jpeg68F3DEC0-9F9A-40E0-AE34-E8005CB66042.thumb.jpeg.943ffa93be59b4556f81e7795945afde.jpeg

So, I was at the USPS location off of Tradeport last night around 8pm and I saw this building way off in the distance...the green lights.  Extremely visible from miles away just like the Orlando Eye.  The next time I'm in Citrus Center at night I'll try a gander from a SE facing window to see if it's visible from downtown.  Something tells me it will easily be.

• Like 2