2008 US Presidential Race, Obama vs McCain

monsoon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was picking lines out of a Connecticut Post article from the weekend and putting them into a paragraph in my own words, since you can't actually just leave a link and make two line comments about it.

It's apparently in the New York Post today (or yesterday?) now too.

One of the biggest things I'm afraid of about this Accorn bit is another 2000 election when Bush got into office over a screw up in Florida. The last thing I want now is for McCain to be our president because an activist group committing fraud screwed up the election.

Just heard from CNN that Virginia is leaning towards Obama. This puts Obama's projected electoral votes to about 277, seven points over the top. But its not clear sailing for the Dems yet. We still don't know what the Bradly effect will do. We also have the acorn issue to deal with. Lastly there's McCain's reputation of making big come backs at the last minute, tonight's debate being his biggest opportunity to make that happen.

Virginia and Missouri have been leaning towards Obama on Intrade and www.fivethirtyeight for a week or so.

I think we're at the point that the presidential election is a foregone conclusion. The press just wants to keep the "horse race" hype going. The real debate now, is what the Congress will look like, and whether the GOP's losses will be enough to shake them out of Atwater/Rove style campaigning in the future.

Also, the Bradley effect is a myth. Deukmejin (sp) was leading in several polls right before he won over Bradley.

I think we're at the point that the presidential election is a foregone conclusion. The press just wants to keep the "horse race" hype going. The real debate now, is what the Congress will look like, and whether the GOP's losses will be enough to shake them out of Atwater/Rove style campaigning in the future.

The are some who say the fact the United States may very well vote in the first African American, this in a country where people Obama's age were separated by race when they were school age, is an astonishing rejection to the politics of Lee Atwater. (Rove was his student)

It was Atwater, working for Reagan and Bush Sr. that started this whole disgusting divisiveness in order to detract people from the real issues facing them. Atwater, later facing death due to unexpected illness, ended up apologizing for it. It's why you rarely hear his name now.

McCain's campaign died right here.

It's like the Dukakkis debate moment of "How would you respond if your wife was raped?" or Carter's "Better off now than 4 years ago?"

Especially check out McCain blinking in confusion at the 1:00 mark. He looks like he was unprepared to properly critique Obama's proposals... McCain was stuck in "Joe the Plumber" mode.

Just got done watching the last debate. Initial polls indicate that Obama won this one giving him 3 for 3 over McCain. McCain was very aggressive and had Oboama on the defensive for the first 30 mins of the debate. But Obama picked up a head of steam by shotting down McCain on the (Edit) Bill Ayers (/Edit) and Accorn ties. Obama had control the rest of the way through.

I am not sure the last debate was much of a game changer. I do think that McCain looked dismissive and condescending especially on his belittling of women's health. At best, he appealed to his base. Obama played it safe as to be running out the clock.

On a different subject, the RNC has decided to pull adverts from Maine and Wisconsin. This is with news a few weeks ago that McCain had given up on Michigan. Maine is a small state, but it allots electoral votes on a proportional basis. The GOP had hoped to pull one of these votes loose. Wisconsin is a 10 vote state.

Overall, I thought Obama won....McCain did win a couple of questions, I thought, regarding who was running a cleaner campaign, and possibly on the trade discussion.

I think Bill Ayers and ACORN (sp?) aren't issues right now, becuase Americans are more fearful of the economy than they are of a persons past associations. If this was 1992 and Bill Clinton said he didn't inhale, then its a talking point, but this is 2008 and people are scared to death that the next president isn't going to be able to save the economy.

I was disappointed at how Obama opened... he let McCain be the aggressor, and score some points while Obama seemed flat and back on his heels. It seemed like Obama was playing not to lose, and it showed. Then, McCain foolishly decided to bring up Ayers and ACORN, which ended up being his undoing. (Only the right-wingers who already support McCain truly care abou that idiocy at a time like this.) After Obama carefully dismissed the accusations as nonsense, McCain lost his edge and Obama found his voice, talking effectively about healthcare and education.

Last night definitely was not a game-changer. As early voting begins in many states (today in NC), I think McCain's chances are fading fast. The economy, Obama's huge cash and organization advantage may prove too difficult to overcome.

I was disappointed at how Obama opened... he let McCain be the aggressor, and score some points while Obama seemed flat and back on his heels. It seemed like Obama was playing not to lose, and it showed. Then, McCain foolishly decided to bring up Ayers and ACORN, which ended up being his undoing. (Only the right-wingers who already support McCain truly care abou that idiocy at a time like this.) After Obama carefully dismissed the accusations as nonsense, McCain lost his edge and Obama found his voice, talking effectively about healthcare and education.

Last night definitely was not a game-changer. As early voting begins in many states (today in NC), I think McCain's chances are fading fast. The economy, Obama's huge cash and organization advantage may prove too difficult to overcome.

Archived