2008 US Presidential Race, Obama vs McCain

monsoon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I suppose the post ran that article because they somehow want to discredit Putin in regards to Georgia and Poland. i.e. Those are the decisions of a crazed man. It does not address the points the Russians are making about having missiles a few miles from their borders or what the Georgians did, at apparently from what they believe, was the blessing of the USA.

However it's the next to the last paragraph that catches my eye. "Putin's role in the blatantly misleading information issued by the government about the Chechnya offensive also has been criticized. His talent for creating legends has been evident in his explanations about the war. For example, Putin told the writers group that the military had been open with the news media, when the military has in fact hidden information about casualties, combat events, attacks on civilians and its goals and methods." Change Putin to Bush and Chechnya to Iraq and yes we have the same thing. The article makes the point that somehow Putin is bad because as head of the KGB he "recruited people to spy on the west". Was he supposed to do something different. GH Bush, the current President's father, did the same thing as head of the CIA.

I think the other measure missed, well in fact Putin was not compared to anyone, is that his approval ratings in Russia hovers around 80%. In the United States Bush is around 21%.

I could go on, but I think you might understand my point by now. There is a hypocrisy of the highest order being put forth my much of the mainstream press in the USA. What exactly do you think the response would be from Bush, Cheney, and the rest of the neo-cons if Russia showed up and started putting missiles in Cuba again, under the premise they were going to protect Latin American's from aggression? The article does not address the ramifications of these kinds of decisions and instead looks to instead simply dismiss it all as Putin's bad PMS days.

To answer your question, if you want a balanced reporting on these issues, read the NYTimes and the BBC. If you actually care about how our actions are being perceived by the rest of the world, and many Americans these days are not for many reasons, go look at the major paper of the cities outside North America. Most of them have English versions and usually after reading several of them you get past the rhetoric and discover what's consistant.

.....Anyone ever wonder why Putin is so upset about a missile defense system in Poland? Does Putin believe Poland would fire missiles on Russia to start a war they can't win? Does he think the U.S. would use these missiles in Poland to start WWIII? No, Putin is upset that if he chose to go in and take over Poland, they would have a fighting chance. Putin is still KGB in his heart and this is made obvious by his controlling of the media by his government......

^I suppose the post ran that article because they somehow want to discredit Putin in regards to Georgia and Poland. i.e. Those are the decisions of a crazed man. It does not address the points the Russians are making about having missiles a few miles from their borders or what the Georgians did, at apparently from what they believe, was the blessing of the USA.

^^Why does the media completely ignore new revelations from Scooter Libby and Scott McClellen? Why aren't these matters being given the urgent attention they deserve? Why are the overwhelming anti-Bush demonstrations overseas not being reported? I'll tell you why, they are not allowed to report it.

As for the media, they aren't government-controlled per se. Both the media and the government have been taken over by the corporatocracy. The media don't report negative news about the government's policies and actions because both are divisions of the same corporate-controlled operation.

You may choose like many Americans, of course, to continue to believe all is well and good, and of course, that is what they want you to think. You asked the question, I assume you really didn't want to hear the answer. I would assume that no sane person, a person who really cares would have to ask so your question must be rhetorical or else, well I don't want to go there. :dunno:

I found this from one of my favorite journalists out there, Jake Tapper. This is probably going to bee BIG news in the coming days if it means what I think it means.

Joe Biden sent Secret Service Protection

The United States Secret Service has dispatched a protective detail to assume the immediate protection of Sen. Joseph Biden, D-Del., a source tells ABC News, indicating in all likelihood that Biden has been officially notified that Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, has selected him to be his running mate.

This is a strange pick. Obama is always talking about change, but he's going to pick a long time beltway insider? I actually like Biden and believe he would make a much better president than Obama, switch the ticket and you might have something.

I think Obama had to pick someone who is established and well known because Obama himself is new to the political arena. Now I dont think that makes him unfit to be president (just the opposite) but the perception is that Obama isnt ready to lead. So while its not an exciting pick, its a smart pick. As for Hillary Clinton, I thinks its her own fault she wasnt chosen as running mate because she was just too nasty and negative towards Obama during the primaries. The last thing Obama wants is to have McCain play ads with the silly Hillary attacks towards Obama and ultimately thats one big reason why she is not the running mate. Also add in the fact that Bill Clinton still is angry his wife didnt win the nomination. There is just way TOO much drama with the Clintons.

Now McCain on the other hand, its a toss up between Mit Romney and Mike Huckabee. McCain has two options. He can pick someone like Mitt Romney to help him with his weakness on the economy or he can pick Mike Huckabee to attract a solid evangelical base. Remember it was the evangelicals in Ohio who got Bush re-elected in 2004. Personally I think he is going to go with Mike Huckabee. The republicans are fighting a losing battle when it comes to the economy. McCain is receiving a lukewarm reception from the evangelicals.

Biden was an interesting strategic move given the complexities of this decision. Barring the unlikely choice of McCain to choose either Hillary Clinton or Jeb Bush, this will be the first time since 1976 the voters in this nation will get to chose a president without someone from the Clinton or Bush family on the ticket.

It will be very interesting to see who McCain picks in response. It will also be very interesting to see how the Clintons behave at the convention.

I think you're just as guilty of the holier than thou attitude, you know perfectly well why he chose someone like Biden - balance. It's nothing for which to penalize him. Unless you're simply looking for anything at all to twist. And in fact Biden's stances (for the most part) paint him as a proponent for change as well. As far as switching Biden and Obama on the ticket, it would lead to a very noticeable loss for the pair, but I'm guessing that was your point.

Archived