Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

3 hours ago, atlrvr said:

They submitted their plans to HDC and are being reviewed this month.  My guess is that it might take 2-3 meetings to get a decision.

https://charlottenc.gov/planning/HistoricDistricts/Documents/HDC_Cases_2022_2021-01060_Oct.pdf

image.thumb.png.a2776e27a3f71dee56e684229dca28b0.png

Which corner of the intersection is this going on? Like next to the Vue or something?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Those Daniel Corp. apartments look great and a facade save too and incorporation of it into the new building.  Hopefully other Charlotte developers will take notice as this seems to be regularly everywhere but here. 

Just wish this didn’t have to go through such a protracted process.  We need more housing clusters in uptown.  Or did this one year delay benefit the developer somehow?

14 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Just wish this didn’t have to go through such a protracted process.  We need more housing clusters in uptown.  Or did this one year delay benefit the developer somehow?

No historical district caused it to go slow.  But Daniel Corp. only builds 1-2 apartment complexes a year so it is okay.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

No historical district caused it to go slow.  But Daniel Corp. only builds 1-2 apartment complexes a year so it is okay.  

Yes, I know it was the historical district commission, but must it be a default action to impose the 12-month delay on every proposal?  From the outset, this developer expressed a desire to preserve some elements of the building.  Couldn't this have proceeded at the timeline discretion of the developer?

• Like 2

The fine print of that process says if they (HDC) chose to impose 365-day stay of execution (which they almost always do by default) that a submittal for a replacement structure can't be considered for 90 days.  

In this case, it looks like it took 6 month to get it's first hearing.  The demolition was approved (or denied, depending on perspective) in April 2022, so right now, not terribly behind "best case" schedule.  There were also notes provided by the HDC at that April hearing about what they needed to incorporate if they wanted to come back before the 365 period ends.

One way of looking at it, is they (HDC) has a higher standard that must be met if they let the demolition/new development proceed within that 365 waiting period. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I assume the turnaround time on these large-scale commercial projects would be faster than residential, but since Covid, HDC moves at a GLACIAL pace.  Even staff reviews for residential (not full-committee submissions) are taking months just to get questions answered.  They’ll email that they need details on X, then when those are provided, it’s a months-long turnaround.  Then they’ll have more questions about whatever it is they’ve asked for (which could have been asked in prior correspondence).  Answers are provided, then more months pass for their next reply.  And you have to submit via email exclusively.  If I said “snail’s pace”, that would be lighting speed.  Again, not sure if that’s how it is for commercial or this project specifically, but they are seriously under water over there. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, turbocraig said:

I assume the turnaround time on these large-scale commercial projects would be faster than residential, but since Covid, HDC moves at a GLACIAL pace.  Even staff reviews for residential (not full-committee submissions) are taking months just to get questions answered.  They’ll email that they need details on X, then when those are provided, it’s a months-long turnaround.  Then they’ll have more questions about whatever it is they’ve asked for (which could have been asked in prior correspondence).  Answers are provided, then more months pass for their next reply.  And you have to submit via email exclusively.  If I said “snail’s pace”, that would be lighting speed.  Again, not sure if that’s how it is for commercial or this project specifically, but they are seriously under water over there. 

I think they are starting to claw out from the backlog. After tempering my expectations and expecting our review to be 4-5 months, my recent submission was completed in less than a month from submitting for staff review to being pushed to the agenda to being reviewed and receiving a COA. That said, yes I heard many friends with submissions during '20 and '21 that took months with a ton of back and forth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kermit said:

1) incomplete datasets can be very misleading.

2) gezzus, check out Toronto!

image.thumb.png.0fc43a54484d2ac9a6cef1d32a043397.png

How many are in Charlotte right now? I know it's way more than 3 so I don't know why cities like Phoenix are listed lol, and it's not by size since places like Atlanta and Philadelphia are not listed.

• Haha 1

Everyone and their mother has tried to put a food hall in their project and it got axed every single time.  The only one who succeeded was Optimist hall, of course. I'm curious what they have lined up if they're pulling permits.

The food halls that never came to be:

1. Legacy Union parking deck
  2. auto repair shop on S tryon where that atlanta brewery is now going
  3. Vantage south end
  4. Portman's The Line

what else yall got?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, AltNative said:

Everyone and their mother has tried to put a food hall in their project and it got axed every single time.  The only one who succeeded was Optimist hall, of course. I'm curious what they have lined up if they're pulling permits.

The food halls that never came to be:

1. Legacy Union parking deck
  2. auto repair shop on S tryon where that atlanta brewery is now going
  3. Vantage south end
  4. Portman's The Line

what else yall got?

While slightly discouraging, I could see this one killing it with the work crowd. At least pre-Covid. I’d imagine now but I haven’t seen “post” Covid Charlotte. 

I would’ve loved an option other than chicken salad chick (or whatever), chick-fil-a and the other places in the over street mall & Epicenter.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AltNative said:

Everyone and their mother has tried to put a food hall in their project and it got axed every single time. 

I assume financing was partially contingent on leasing prospects since these were new projects. One Independence is a little different  since the building was recently purchased and overall financing shouldn't be an issue.  That's my take, but someone correct me if I have any facts crossed there. 

• Thanks 1

Really excited for all that retail at independence. Just need a Polk park renovation and for them to overhaul founders hall a bit. At least make the bank branch a restaurant or something. Would have the best patio/view in uptown. BOACC plaza is the only Quadrant of trade and Tryon that is uninviting besides my favorite lamb n chicken halal food truck lol. 

• Like 3