Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

The Omni has 374 rooms... Hilton Center City has 400

Actually I take back my desire for this to go at 300 S. Tryon. I want this to either take the place of 210 Trade, or "Wachovia Condo Tower"

Something the height of the Omni would be great! Also, i would prefer 300 S. Tryon over the "Wachovia Condo Tower" that parking lot is an awful eyesore in that spot. However, I think we ALL can agree 210 Trade would be the best spot......for anything besides exposed rebar and concrete

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the average occupancy rate for any hotel uptown (on a given week(end))?? Everyone clamors for more hotel rooms, but I just find it hard to believe that out of all the hotels uptown there is a need for any more. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see the buildings go up, I just can't imagine there being a need (other than for special events).

Something the height of the Omni would be great! Also, i would prefer 300 S. Tryon over the "Wachovia Condo Tower" that parking lot is an awful eyesore in that spot. However, I think we ALL can agree 210 Trade would be the best spot......for anything besides exposed rebar and concrete

That parking lot should be something greater than a 400 room hotel. Needs to be Retail, Condos and Office, just like it was before, and at least 800k sq feet, for me to be happy.

I would say the following lots are most likely.

1) College St across from the Conv Center (between the Gantt Museum and Fuel Pizza). 

2) The site of the club on Stonewall right on the other side of LRT tracks from the Westin

3) The city owned parcels at Caldwell and Stonewall (right next to location #2)

There are certainly other parcels attached to current developments that were planned to accomodate a condo that COULD become hotel.

1) Wachovia/Duke over the Mint

2) 210 Trade (would have to be really high-end in my opinion to justify the individual room plans and need for additional elevators, but this is also the most prime site)

There are also 2 parcels where hotels have long been in the plans but forgotten.

1) The small parking lot along MLK between 1 Wells Fargo/Hilton and 301 S Brevard/AT&T.  This is the site of the rumored Hilton Parking Deck addition, but conceivably they could add another Hilton Brand here (Conrad?)

2) There was a Swissotel planned over the service delivery entrance to 227 W Trade (Carillon) front Church St.  Probably the least likely, but it was part of the original plan and the site was designed to one day accomodate a 20+ story hotel.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the average occupancy rate for any hotel uptown (on a given week(end))?? Everyone clamors for more hotel rooms, but I just find it hard to believe that out of all the hotels uptown there is a need for any more. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see the buildings go up, I just can't imagine there being a need (other than for special events).

Others will have better numbers but I believe that the occupancy rate for all Charlotte hotels (suburban and uptown) is around 60%. Its been quite a while since I have seen uptown only numbers (since before Tim Newman left CRV perhaps?) but, based on past data and my own experience, I believe that they are in the 75% occupancy range. I regularly speak with folks who book rooms uptown and it seems that space is very tight, particularly for bookings made at the last minute (as many business bookings are). As an example I know several BoA employees who live in non-Charlotte markets who must frequently travel uptown for meetings. BoA travel policy (for these mid-level folks) is to put them up at 1) the Ritz (always sold out), 2) The Holiday Inn (the BoA corporate contract is for the club floor but its busy) or 3) elsewhere if necessary. These guys are so frequently blocked out of decent uptown space that they regularly stay at the Morehead Inn.

Since most of this is third hand take it with a grain of salt.

I do see signs that demand for uptown hotel space will continue to grow at a healthy rate. Things like the citylynx and BLE will make uptown rooms more accessible to other areas (Presby and UNCC), baseball will generate a bit more demand for the slow summer months, and I do believe that Gateway station will create a small (but noticeable) bump in uptown tourism.

Edited by kermit

Based on that BofA anecdote, that Wells could do what BofA did and guarantee a high % of the rooms for a 4-5 star hotel adjacent to their offices.  With that in mind, the Mint Museum site, or the site I mentioned above (surface lot between the Green and Gantt museum) could accomodate something along the lines of a Four Seasons, W Hotel, Loews, Conrad Hilton.

• Like 1

Based on that BofA anecdote, that Wells could do what BofA did and guarantee a high % of the rooms for a 4-5 star hotel adjacent to their offices.  With that in mind, the Mint Museum site, or the site I mentioned above (surface lot between the Green and Gantt museum) could accomodate something along the lines of a Four Seasons, W Hotel, Loews, Conrad Hilton.

I thought I recalled not long ago that Loews was looking at a Charlotte (uptown) location? 

Film Row was at 300 S Tryon, but I can't find any pictures of it other than this in the distance:

South%20Tryon%20looking%20north.jpg

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/1998/06/01/story1.html?page=all

It is yet another fairly interesting piece of Charlotte history that became rubble covered with asphalt.  I'm sure it was just of average architecture, but still was more worthy than to be replaced with surface parking.

I agree that it would be a shame if the 300 S Tryon site got only a standard sized hotel, but it would be fine in my book if it went on part of the site with a phase II office location held for the future.

Film Row was at 300 S Tryon, but I can't find any pictures of it other than this in the distance:

South%20Tryon%20looking%20north.jpg

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/1998/06/01/story1.html?page=all

It is yet another fairly interesting piece of Charlotte history that became rubble covered with asphalt.  I'm sure it was just of average architecture, but still was more worthy than to be replaced with surface parking.

Look for Film Row to be facing Church Street (if you search it). We had a family friend who owned a business there years ago. His was distribution of concessions. Here's mention of Film Row: http://www.cmhpf.org/kids/neighborhoods/CenterCityProps3.html

In other news, Tin Roof is getting closer to an opening date. I think this will be a great addition to the Epicentre and Uptown in general. We can always use more bars, especially ones that will bring in good crowds. 

http://instagram.com/p/by0hWBtgV_/ 

That being said, does anyone know how many sq. ft this location will occupy? I know it is in at least one of the identical spaces next to the movie theater lobby (approx 3300 sq ft.). If it was just one it would be disappointingly small but two would be awesome!

That 

Edited by Jayvee

Not sure where to put this but has anyone heard that Le Meridien is taking over the Blake Hotel? I was just reading something about a Starwood property in Atlanta that mentioned there was a Le Meridien planned for North Carolina. Checked out the spg website and it listed 555 S McDowell, same as The Blake. The opening date is listed as a march 2014.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/corporate/directory/new-hotels/all/detail.html

EDIT: their website *just* updated and now shows that a Sheraton will be at the same address opening in 2013. Looks like there is some confusion on their end. Or maybe they are building a Le Meridien and taking over The Blake. Unlikely but would be cool.

Edited by sakami

Not sure where to put this but has anyone heard that Le Meridien is taking over the Blake Hotel? I was just reading something about a Starwood property in Atlanta that mentioned there was a Le Meridien planned for North Carolina. Checked out the spg website and it listed 555 S McDowell, same as The Blake. The opening date is listed as a march 2014.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/corporate/directory/new-hotels/all/detail.html

EDIT: their website *just* updated and now shows that a Sheraton will be at the same address opening in 2013. Looks like there is some confusion on their end. Or maybe they are building a Le Meridien and taking over The Blake. Unlikely but would be cool.

well it just updated again and there's no Sheraton... Musta been an entry mistake.

The Ritz Carlton runs about 95% full every week and about 90% full on weekends. A spa appointment usually run about a week out also. So I would definitely say there is a demand for another luxury hotel brand in Charlotte. 

Others will have better numbers but I believe that the occupancy rate for all Charlotte hotels (suburban and uptown) is around 60%. Its been quite a while since I have seen uptown only numbers (since before Tim Newman left CRV perhaps?) 

The CCCP site lists the below - however appears to have last been updated (in this section) in 2010, which is really sad if they are trying to market the center city (do they think others can't google as well?!

Anyway If these numbers are for 2010 let's not forget that we were in the middle of the recession then and travel/hotels took a huge hit so I expect the numbers to be higher now.

• Uptown Total Number of Hotel Rooms: 4,214
  • Uptown Room Nights Booked: 167,000
  • Uptown Hotel Occupancy: 58.2%
  • Uptown Hotel Average Daily Rate: $124.54
  • Convention Center Exhibit Space: 280,000 Sq Ft
  • Number of Conventions with more than 1,000 Attendees: 70
  • Convention Center Attendance for Major Events: 425,422

http://www.charlottecentercity.org/business/data/

well it just updated again and there's no Sheraton... Musta been an entry mistake.

Funny, it opened as a Sheraton in 1973.  Just returning to its roots, I guess.  I don't think it would be too far out to speculate that the hotel could easily be split between the two.   Superchains do this frequently and are able to utilize single housekeeping and food service areas (Hilton/Hilton Garden, JW Marriott/Ritz Carlton, etc.).  One tower could be the Sheraton, the other could be the Le Meridian. 

Edited by Miesian Corners

• 2 weeks later...

OHM Hotels (based on Matthews, NC) and Alex Brown Realty (based in Baltimore and owned by Deutsche Bank) are planning a hotel on the surface lot on the back-side of TradeMark. 

http://ohmhotels.com/our-portfolio/

The Four Points in Sheraton is ok, but the two recently built Four Points in Charlotte and Holiday Inn in Matthews are pretty bad.

Supposedly there will be some retail, but my guess is that it will be a restaurant for the hotel (looks like OHM operates a two places called Bonfire Grill)

No word on who the brand will be, but my guess is that it will be a limited serive hotel.  Again, I keep speculating on getting a Four Points in Uptown, and given they have developed 2 locations for that brand already, maybe that has the edge.

Anyway, this will not be a 400 room hotel, so that rumor can stay alive.

I will be glad to see that surface lot go, and this hotel will complete the block.  Hoping its tall enough to completely cover the back-side of the TradeMark parking deck.

• Like 1