Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

^^Considering these 2 acres of Uptown are zoned UMUD, I'd say it's a safe bet that the ~200 apartments won't be suburban-looking.

UMUD won't protect the aesthetic, there are plenty of UMUD/Midrise Projects around that look like Ryan Homes Designed them... Especially in Atlanta and Miami... With that said, I imagine this will probably look more like a southend, gateway or 1st ward project. Brick, Stucco and glass...

It's kind of exciting though, this is only the second residential building in 1st ward that i can think of... Madison being the first... Correct me if I'm wrong... I will track down a rendering this week if at all possible, I usually have a knack for these things...

^^Considering these 2 acres of Uptown are zoned UMUD, I'd say it's a safe bet that the ~200 apartments won't be suburban-looking.

And the Council July 25th agenda item can be found online, including the site map:

http://charmeck.org/...7-25-2011/7.pdf

WOW!!! Its this side of the street! That's even more exciting! It would take a Courtside sized building to put 200 apartments on that site!!

WOW!!! Its this side of the street! That's even more exciting! It would take a Courtside sized building to put 200 apartments on that site!!

I'm thinking it can be done in 8-9, maybe 10 stories unless the apartments are really large, which IMO is an awesome size for that site. I'm very impressed that they're doing something that ambitious on one of the last sites I thought would sell. Hopefully the parking lot across McDowell will go quickly too! I'm sure the parcels near the HOF are considerably more expensive and will sit until something major can be built there.

I'm thinking it can be done in 8-9, maybe 10 stories unless the apartments are really large, which IMO is an awesome size for that site. I'm very impressed that they're doing something that ambitious on one of the last sites I thought would sell. Hopefully the parking lot across McDowell will go quickly too! I'm sure the parcels near the HOF are considerably more expensive and will sit until something major can be built there.

Well personally I hope for 10-12 floors, as we know with flaherty and collins/210 Trade, jumping from suburban development to high rise development can be a risky move. Then again 450 condo 54 story building is completely different than 200 apartments on 2.2 acres, I have to add though that only 1.25-1.5 of the site makes sense to develop...

Thanks for the additional details!

This is very exciting news. New apartments in this area should significantly increase pedestrian traffic and go a long way towards making downtown less of a vertically gated community. As a bonus they should create a stronger connection btw downtown and Dilworth and Midtown

Well personally I hope for 10-12 floors, as we know with flaherty and collins/210 Trade, jumping from suburban development to high rise development can be a risky move. Then again 450 condo 54 story building is completely different than 200 apartments on 2.2 acres, I have to add though that only 1.25-1.5 of the site makes sense to develop...

I would suspect 3-4 levels of parking and 7 - 10 levels of residence. Probably not a good location for retail as there is little foot traffic, and difficult access if you are driving. Good use of this space though.

I would suspect 3-4 levels of parking and 7 - 10 levels of residence. Probably not a good location for retail as there is little foot traffic, and difficult access if you are driving. Good use of this space though.

I hope this building could be the start of foot traffic actually. The city invested money in building sidewalks under the 277 bridge between here and Metropolitan. Why would they not encourage people to use those sidewalks to connect inside/outside the loop? Granted, Stonewall is a pretty horrible street to walk on between NASCAR & Metropolitan, but that's such a short section that CAN be corrected with good design. Add in the redevelopment of the aquatic center and "Brooklyn"/Marshall Park, and eventually the idea of walking from Uptown to Target and further on to the Greenway wouldn't seem so daunting.

It has to start somewhere though.

I hope this building could be the start of foot traffic actually. The city invested money in building sidewalks under the 277 bridge between here and Metropolitan. Why would they not encourage people to use those sidewalks to connect inside/outside the loop? Granted, Stonewall is a pretty horrible street to walk on between NASCAR & Metropolitan, but that's such a short section that CAN be corrected with good design. Add in the redevelopment of the aquatic center and "Brooklyn"/Marshall Park, and eventually the idea of walking from Uptown to Target and further on to the Greenway wouldn't seem so daunting.

There's plans for the redevelopment of the aquatic center?

I can't speak for Stonewall, but I usually see people walking between Uptown and Target on 3rd Street when I walk that route.

Yeah I don't know where I heard that - and I guess I could be making it up - but I thought I heard that some time ago

There are plans in the 2nd ward master plan as well as the 2020 Vision Plan to renovate the Aquatic Center and create an "Amateur Sports Cluster" that ties in with the plans for Second Ward High School, Brooklyn Village and the Current Metro School.

^I still don't understand how the ward of Uptown with the fewest people and in closest proximity to Myers Park HS should be where a "Central HS" goes.

Granted, residential projects like that recently discussed could help with the population imbalance of Second Ward. But unless Dilworth and Elizabeth are going to switch from Myers Park, this location is not very centrally located. Plus, most of the other first-ring neighborhoods, wrapping around from Wilmore/Wesley Heights adjacent to Third Ward, moving clockwise to Belmont/Midwood adjacent to First Ward, could all use better schools.

^I still don't understand how the ward of Uptown with the fewest people and in closest proximity to Myers Park HS should be where a "Central HS" goes.

Granted, residential projects like that recently discussed could help with the population imbalance of Second Ward. But unless Dilworth and Elizabeth are going to switch from Myers Park, this location is not very centrally located. Plus, most of the other first-ring neighborhoods, wrapping around from Wilmore/Wesley Heights adjacent to Third Ward, moving clockwise to Belmont/Midwood adjacent to First Ward, could all use better schools.

Well the central high school is supposed to be one of those catalyst projects to make a unified neighborhood in 2nd ward. I agree with you that its a little bizarre for it to be in what would seem like a dead zone today. It is put there with hope that, as you said, a newly balanced residential district is created.

CMS's arbitrary line of everyone south of Brevard slotted for Myers Park (yet going all the way south to Pineville-Matthews Rd) is completely bizarre. How many kids could it have possibly added to incl all of Uptown, Third Ward, west through Wesley Heights and east to Midwood when they redrew the lines?

http://www.cms.k12.n...yersPark_HS.pdf

I think this is an overestimate.

There is a 250 unit complex recently proposed in Raleigh on 1.77 acres. It has a parking deck which is screened by the apartments, rather than a parking deck that is structurally integrated with the apartments. It will also have some ground-floor retail and still will be only 7 stories tall.

My guess is that this one will be 5 stories, so therefore probably stick-built, screening a parking deck between the apartments and the highway. If it includes retail, it may have a concrete ground floor making for 6 stories total. But as you mention, this does not seem like a likely location for retail, so unless required by zoning it probably won't have any.

Nevertheless, a great use for this odd little parcel.

I think this is an overestimate.

There is a 250 unit complex recently proposed in Raleigh on 1.77 acres. It has a parking deck which is screened by the apartments, rather than a parking deck that is structurally integrated with the apartments. It will also have some ground-floor retail and still will be only 7 stories tall.

My guess is that this one will be 5 stories, so therefore probably stick-built, screening a parking deck between the apartments and the highway. If it includes retail, it may have a concrete ground floor making for 6 stories total. But as you mention, this does not seem like a likely location for retail, so unless required by zoning it probably won't have any.

Nevertheless, a great use for this odd little parcel.

I don't think with the shape of this parcel that 5 floors is possible. You cannot compare a 1.77 acre BOX to a 2 acre crescent. I think it needs to be AT LEAST 7-10 stories to be possible. But if I'm wrong... I don't mind 5 story stick built, still a better transition than what is currently there...

CMS's arbitrary line of everyone south of Brevard slotted for Myers Park (yet going all the way south to Pineville-Matthews Rd) is completely bizarre. How many kids could it have possibly added to incl all of Uptown, Third Ward, west through Wesley Heights and east to Midwood when they redrew the lines?

http://www.cms.k12.n...yersPark_HS.pdf

I agree that the easier fix would be to lose all the households south of Fairview Road in exchange for all of Uptown, plus the first-ring neighborhoods. Besides, those south of Fairview could go to any of the various high schools in South Charlotte. And those in and around Uptown would maintain or add to the diversity of Myers Park. For example, taking in both Belmont and Midwood should balance out.

Critics of changing the Myers Park boundaries would likely blame overcrowding in South Charlotte. But that temporary glut of kids from newer subdivisions will utlimately mature into a mix of household types, including more empty-nesters without children. Meanwhile, the in-town areas recently re-discovered are seeing more families, who will increasingly opt to stay put, despite the schools. Thus, it wouldn't surprise me to someday soon see the reverse Myers Park map that is stretched more north than south.

Eventually, another high school will be needed within the core, so that Myers Park HS doesn't end up crowded by just another geography. I just don't think Second Ward is the right location for most Uptown population or most of the first-ring neigborhoods, except those (Dilworth and Elizabeth) already served by Myers Park High.

In the end, Uptown and in-town are connected in their future. Both have similar "pros" in terms of livability. Yet the most common "con" held against increasingly popular urban living is schools. If this con could be removed, just imagine how much more residential infill Charlotte's core of Uptown and surrounding neighborhoods would experience.

Lastly, if we expect Uptown to help catalyze the West and North sides of the inner-ring (and more than just schools per the 2020 plan), then let's expect more from the most affluent side (Myers Park/Dilworth/Elizabeth) of Uptown to help out the overall core as well.

Edited by southslider

I agree that the easier fix would be to lose all the households south of Fairview Road in exchange of all of Uptown, plus the first-ring neighborhoods. Besides, those south of Fairview could go to any of the various high schools in South Charlotte. And those in and around Uptown would maintain or add to the diversity of Myers Park. For example, taking in both Belmont and Midwood should balance out.

I agree w/ this completely, but given the stink that was raised when the school board tried to tweak the MPHS boundaries ever so slightly, I just don't see a wholesale change ever happening.

• 3 months later...

I noticed that the former Zink location has construction boards around it. Anyone know what's going in there?

With the Wachovia/Wells Fargo transition complete, uptown has a lot more yellow and red than it used to. Incidentally, the ATMs looks like they should be hotdog vending machines.

I noticed that the former Zink location has construction boards around it. Anyone know what's going in there?

With the Wachovia/Wells Fargo transition complete, uptown has a lot more yellow and red than it used to. Incidentally, the ATMs looks like they should be hotdog vending machines.

It's just a signature 5/3 Bank branch, nothing exciting but I guess it doesn't bother me either.

I actually kind of like the new WF stuff around town. Sure its bolder than Wachovia was, and therefore garish to some people, but I think its more contemporary and I just like the color combo a lot better.

Edited by nonillogical