Tower at Main & Gervais

comingtocolumbia

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no reason for a skyline to have all of its towers in a certain height range when there are no height restrictions. Even if that is the case, make sure the towers have some architectural diversity. Columbia has got to get out of this boxy tower phase.

At this point, I don't think another tower is going to be built for at least a few years now, much less a spec tower. Even if the next tower isn't going to be very tall, I do hope it's more than just a slight variation on a box and has more distinguishing features.

Have you travelled into town from Hwy. 321 between Gaston and the outskirts of Cayce? There are several times where the skyline is dramatic and beautiful. Of course, it's hard to find a place to pull over and photograph, but one of these days I will! To me, these are the best views of all. :)

At this point, I don't think another tower is going to be built for at least a few years now, much less a spec tower. Even if the next tower isn't going to be very tall, I do hope it's more than just a slight variation on a box and has more distinguishing features.

I also tend to prefer density over height, but for a city like Columbia where there are no height restrictions, there will be towers of varying heights so there needs to be some architectural diversity to make the skyline more interesting.

I also noticed the slightly different shade of glass on the Main Street side is a little less reflective and has a slight transparency to it. That part of the building has something of a "setback" effect from the corner portion. I'm thinking that these and other small features may make this building a little more architecturally interesting than we think, despite its overall boxiness.

I'm sorry to say that when the rest of the glass is on the building, the West Columbia side of it isn't going to do much at all for the skyline. I drive in from W. Cola every day, and the grayish blue glass hardly shows up against the sky. What you can see of it looks like a gray attachment to the Capitol Center. That's not to say I don't like the soft, modern, glassy effect of the grayish blue color; it's just that it isn't going to show up well enough to make much of a statement of its own from the west.

Archived