Tower at Main & Gervais

comingtocolumbia

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting shade/tint. It appears a little too reflective for my tastes in the above pictures, but I'm guessing it changes a little depending on the amount of sunlight hitting it/shining through.

The Edens & Avant space will be pursuing LEED-certification according to this article in the Free Times. The whole building should be LEED-certified, but it doesn't help that the city isn't providing any incentives for developers to pursue LEED certification. That needs to change ASAP. Columbia needs to focus on not just being a hub of hydrogen fuel cell production, but on being a greener city overall. Providing incentives for builders who incorporate green building features into their projects is a necessary first step.

The old Wachovia building is supposed to not only get lobby renovation, but also a re-skinning of its entire exterior, so it will be interesting to see how different it looks from TMG. Actually TMG's has a greener color. It's going to be a pretty solid green addition to the skyline, whereas the Wachovia building is only greenish depending on the reflection of the sky at different times.

The old Wachovia building is supposed to not only get lobby renovation, but also a re-skinning of its entire exterior, so it will be interesting to see how different it looks from TMG. Actually TMG's has a greener color. It's going to be a pretty solid green addition to the skyline, whereas the Wachovia building is only greenish depending on the reflection of the sky at different times.

I noticed looking at it from Richland County Public Library today that from that angle there are no bunched steel rods sticking up past the top level. If you notice in the pic from today, the top rear left corner is one floor higher that the level that has the steel rods sticking up above it. Judging by every building I've ever watched being built, when they stop putting steel rods above the floor they're working on, it means the floor they're working on is the top-out floor. If I'm right, it's not going to have much height at all from that angle. Let's hope I'm wrong, because while I've said I'm not into height for height's sake, I have said I'm into dimension, and in this case there won't be much dimension from that angle if that floor is the top one.

Wait, wait.... as soon as I entered my post I looked again and do I not see some bunched steel rods sticking up above the top floor on the left? Maybe they just haven't yet put them on the side where you can see them from RCPL.

I scoped it out from all angles after work, guys. It very much appears that they are 3/4 of the way to the completion of the framing of the top floor. There are no steel rods going up above it. It looks very capped off. If I'm correct we are getting a 14-story green glass block. Maybe the economy knocked off four floors.

I scoped it out from all angles after work, guys. It very much appears that they are 3/4 of the way to the completion of the framing of the top floor. There are no steel rods going up above it. It looks very capped off. If I'm correct we are getting a 14-story green glass block. Maybe the economy knocked off four floors.

I hope I'm wrong. The floor they're working on now is the first one they've gotten this far on without going ahead and putting up the steel bars to support the next floor. And judging by every building I've ever watched being built, those steel bars should have been erected by now. Maybe the building will be taller toward the Gervais and Main corner where the tallest floor right now is the floor beneath the floor I'm talking about.

My partner says the steel rods I've been talking about are called re-bar. I am happy to report that I saw re-bar extending upward beyond the level of the floor they're working on now, but only on the Main Street side of the building where they haven't come all the way over with that floor yet. The rods are only about half the height of the spacing between each floor. He says they'll put the same number of rods extending from the tops of those rods up to the height of the next ceiling (or floor, depending on how you look at it). So I think we're good, but I'm not sure. I don't know what's taking them so long to put the re-bar above the part of that floor that they have built. Usually they do it before now.

Archived