Tower at Main & Gervais

comingtocolumbia

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics Matt; you've covered TMG from just about every possible angle. I agree that it would look better with about 2 additional floors, but it does have an imposing presence when looking at it from the Statehouse. I also see there's some banding on the front exterior. I think that will break up the facade just enough to avoid a monotone look.

I took some photos of TMG and TMG's placement in the skyline. One of the photos is equidistant from Meridian and TMG and shows that TMG (with the chapeau) will be approximately the height of Meridian excluding the crown. I would have liked TMG better with 2 additional floors.

You know, I wouldn't have thought it before, but these two buildings really flatten out the skyline. They make the other buildings seem less tall. I guess as far as the skyline goes, Columbia needs another tall boy to give it some more dynamism.

^I think it's just that particular perspective that seems to "level out" the skyline. But then we have to also recognize that the tallest at 349 feet really isn't that tall at all. At any rate, I do agree about something taller needed to make the skyline pop. A 500-footer would, placed correctly, would do the trick I think.

I think a 500 footer might be a little too tall. This view of Columbia has always been my favorite. I-126 winding into a dense mass of buildings... it makes Columbia look quite large.

I do agree that, ironically, the skyline has been boxed out. A 400-425' building, located behind Palmetto Center and Meridian (in the void in the photo) would be the ideal location.

It depends on the perspective. From this perspective, I don't think a 500-footer would appear so tall. It would be have to be built on Sumter, which in itself would make it look shorter since it would be located behind the main cluster of towers (look how the Wilbur Smith tower on Gervais and Meridian almost look to be the same size, when the former is 28 feet taller than the latter).

Archived