Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

On 3/19/2022 at 9:46 PM, kermit said:

This is the second event (home MLS game)where CATS had a chance to generate goodwill and attract a new group of riders. It seems that CATS either does not see that as an opportunity or they just don't give a crap.

image.png.400741d3d0de912c26916b2564eb072b.png

Yeah. No way will I take the light rail for games because of the expectation this would be the result. Throw in a Hornets game and people going out for St Pat's and there is no way. Unfortunately to have to pay $20/game for parking despite living a couple blocks from the rail.

1 hour ago, Desert Power said:

Yeah. No way will I take the light rail for games because of the expectation this would be the result. Throw in a Hornets game and people going out for St Pat's and there is no way. Unfortunately to have to pay $20/game for parking despite living a couple blocks from the rail.

I'm sorry for this person's experience this weekend, but I took the street car to uptown to attend Charlotte FC's inaugural game, and it worked swimmingly for me.  I've also taken the street car to the arena for a couple hornets games, and have had no issue.  I don't think I'd be so quick to write off light rail and streetcar for massive events just because things were slow last weekend.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RANYC said:

I'm sorry for this person's experience this weekend, but I took the street car to uptown to attend Charlotte FC's inaugural game, and it worked swimmingly for me.  I've also taken the street car to the arena for a couple hornets games, and have had no issue.  I don't think I'd be so quick to write off light rail and streetcar for massive events just because things were slow last weekend.  

The exact same thing happened at the previous Charlotte FC and hornets game so its definitely not a one off event. 

1 hour ago, slipperypete said:

And just because you had a good experience on the streetcar (which wouldn't be as overwhelmed for a special event, since it doesn't have park & ride ridership), it doesn't give you the right to downplay many others' poor experience. Maybe a little grace? 

I responded to this person's negative perception during his/her attempts to access a special event also.  Someone had a negative experience, I and the riders with me had a positive one heading to the same event.  Shouldn't as many experiences as possible be captured before concluding CATS Transit to Special Events is systemically flawed?  Not saying there aren't always opportunities for CATS to improve, but I also know CATS has a host of binding constraints it must consider. 

In fact, the binding constraints on CATS are far greater and more stringent than the binding constraints on our ability to complain about it and quickly post our grievances on a social media platform in an effort to undermine it to the masses.  Sure we could message CATS directly about a negative experience to get their feedback, but I suppose it's more in fashion to broadside CATS in public so that perhaps a humiliation of its people and leadership spurs it to action more quickly?  

Suggesting someone not conclude to write off a mode of mass transit isn't downplaying the person's poor experience, it's reframing the experience to not lead to the same conclusion.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I responded to this person's negative perception during his/her attempts to access a special event also.  Someone had a negative experience, I and the riders with me had a positive one heading to the same event.  Shouldn't as many experiences as possible be captured before concluding CATS Transit to Special Events is systemically flawed?  Not saying there aren't always opportunities for CATS to improve, but I also know CATS has a host of binding constraints it must consider. 

In fact, the binding constraints on CATS are far greater and more stringent than the binding constraints on our ability to complain about it and quickly post our grievances on a social media platform in an effort to undermine it to the masses.  Sure we could message CATS directly about a negative experience to get their feedback, but I suppose it's more in fashion to broadside CATS in public so that perhaps a humiliation of its people and leadership spurs it to action more quickly?  

Suggesting someone not conclude to write off a mode of mass transit isn't downplaying the person's poor experience, it's reframing the experience to not lead to the same conclusion.

CATS Blue Line (which is our highest ridership park & ride option) gave a poor experience to a lot of riders after the first two MLS home games. Agree?   That is not an assertion that anything is systematically flawed, and I certainly didn't say it was. The only reasonable transit option for many people to a big uptown event is blue line park & ride. The blue line specifically is stressed after events due to that park & ride volume. This is predictable, and pre-pandemic it seemed to be handled better. 

My point was: 

1. CATS should go back to providing more capacity before and after big uptown events. This is what I got from the other people sharing their poor experience, and I don't think it's a controversial point. Based the CATS twitter feed they agree and have said they'll do better. That's cool. They wouldn't have had a chance to improve (or at least to voice their plan to improve) if people didn't complain. 
  2. The streetcar experience you shared was unrelated to the discussion (and the whole blue line thread we're on here).  Different mode of transit. Presenting it the way you did came across as downplaying others' concerns. Particularly since you did it twice! "But it didn't happen to me" you said the second time. And...
  3. Your "come on people, a bit of grace and patience" comment seemed to be doubling down on that.  It struck me as a fairly snotty response to this discussion which also seemed to be downplaying at least their responses, and possibly also their concerns. Particularly since you seem disconnected from the point of it being a problem specific to the blue line. And you don't know how they reacted as part of the crowd that night (possibly with more patience and grace than most!). This discussion board is a good place to share disappointment and discuss how we can hopefully provide feedback to CATS and hold them to a higher standard. 

If that wasn't your intent then cool.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, slipperypete said:

CATS Blue Line (which is our highest ridership park & ride option) gave a poor experience to a lot of riders after the first two MLS home games. Agree?   That is not an assertion that anything is systematically flawed, and I certainly didn't say it was. The only reasonable transit option for many people to a big uptown event is blue line park & ride. The blue line specifically is stressed after events due to that park & ride volume. This is predictable, and pre-pandemic it seemed to be handled better. 

My point was: 

1. CATS should go back to providing more capacity before and after big uptown events. This is what I got from the other people sharing their poor experience, and I don't think it's a controversial point. Based the CATS twitter feed they agree and have said they'll do better. That's cool. They wouldn't have had a chance to improve (or at least to voice their plan to improve) if people didn't complain. 
  2. The streetcar experience you shared was unrelated to the discussion (and the whole blue line thread we're on here).  Different mode of transit. Presenting it the way you did came across as downplaying others' concerns. Particularly since you did it twice! "But it didn't happen to me" you said the second time. And...
  3. Your "come on people, a bit of grace and patience" comment seemed to be doubling down on that.  It struck me as a fairly snotty response to this discussion which also seemed to be downplaying at least their responses, and possibly also their concerns. Particularly since you seem disconnected from the point of it being a problem specific to the blue line. And you don't know how they reacted as part of the crowd that night (possibly with more patience and grace than most!). This discussion board is a good place to share disappointment and discuss how we can hopefully provide feedback to CATS and hold them to a higher standard. 

If that wasn't your intent then cool.  

Sorry that my comment sharing alternative positive experiences on CATS assets and asking that we show "grace and patience" to a transit system that, like so many others around the country, has been walloped, struck you as "snotty."

I only asked for grace and patience because another person who posted said they would not be riding it any further.  My "grace and patience" call was to give the transit system more chances because a transit system's ride back from a global pandemic is going to be an incredibly bumpy one. 

Again, sorry you took all that in as attacks.  I learned long ago to forgive, stay out of people's way, and to spend less than a nanosecond on their offenses.

Edited by RANYC

There is definitely a reason for things CATS obviously doesn’t want to look bad and have people not use their services as far as I can tell. That is why I mention transparency about issues and what CATS is doing to find a solution to those issues. I think it’s much more frustrating when people do not know anything at all so we can write it off as CATS just simply doesn’t care or doesn’t want to do anything because laziness or incompetence. When in reality those may not be the case. Everyone experiences rides differently. Personally I don’t mind the slower speeds on shorter runs or when I have time to spare when traveling. Others say to me the train is too slow. Why take one for 20 min when I can drive there 15-17 min and even that small difference is enough for some to change their mind.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Sorry that my comment sharing alternative positive experiences on CATS assets and asking that we show "grace and patience" to a transit system that, like so many others around the country, has been walloped, struck you as "snotty."

I only asked for grace and patience because another person who posted said they would not be riding it any further.  My "grace and patience" call was to give the transit system another chance because a transit system's ride back from a global pandemic is going to be an incredibly bumpy one. 

Again, sorry you took all that in as attacks.  I learned long ago to forgive, stay out of people's way, and to spend less than a nanosecond on their offenses.

Attacks? I never said that. What on earth are you reading?  It's not what I've written.  Each time I said "came across as downplaying others' concerns." I don't feel attacked at all. Don't think the other poster did either.

They said they wouldn't ride the blue line to big events to avoid being stranded for a long time after.  Pretty reasonable response. But I guess your comment that a totally different transit mode on a different line works fine is helpful?  Ok then, thanks for your help!   I appreciate all this patience and grace you're modeling for us. And not spending a nanosecond on perceived offenses. It's been cool.  

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, slipperypete said:

Attacks? I never said that. What on earth are you reading?  It's not what I've written.  Each time I said "came across as downplaying others' concerns." I don't feel attacked at all. Don't think the other poster did either.

They said they wouldn't ride the blue line to big events to avoid being stranded for a long time after.  Pretty reasonable response. But I guess your comment that a totally different transit mode on a different line works fine is helpful?  Ok then, thanks for your help!   I appreciate all this patience and grace you're modeling for us. And not spending a nanosecond on perceived offenses. It's been cool.  

:tw_thumbsup: easy there, partner.  these are mere strings of font on a screen.  nothing to get riled up about.  let's spare everyone and end this here.  to the other poster, I hope you'll give CATS another chance and use a CATS asset someday to attend a future Charlotte event.  it's the most sustainable way for huge events to happen in center city, and if we can endure the bumpy recovery to more normalized frequencies, our city and region will be the better for it.:tw_relaxed:

Edited by RANYC
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, RANYC said:

:tw_thumbsup: easy there, partner.  these are mere strings of font on a screen.  nothing to get riled up about.  let's spare everyone and end this here.  to the other poster, I hope you'll give CATS another chance and use a CATS asset someday to attend a future Charlotte event.  it's the most sustainable way for huge events to happen in center city, and if we can endure the bumpy recovery to more normalized frequencies, our city and region will be the better for it.:tw_relaxed:

That's not "the most sustainable way", that is your opinion. Some would say your position is counterproductive to the long-term success of light rail and mass transit for the city and region.

The opposing viewpoint is the most sustainable way for huge events to happen in the center city is to to not have self-inflicted wounds or perceived lack of concern by the service levels or disruptions. Maybe CATS could have more regular updates on measures being taken to recover from the pandemic era issues. Maybe CATS could post extra postings on game days or have bus bridges, special express buses, etc. Maybe post a CATS employee at a couple of the busiest stations to pass out flyers on game days on what CATS is doing to recover form the pandemic. 

But if people perceive the Light Rail to being consistently crap - fairly or not - people aren't going to ride it and the boldened portion of your post will not occur...

When people on here criticize developments, developers, CATS, etc. It's not to be negative or unreasonable... it's just advocation for things important to them. In this case, the long-term success of light rail, CATS and how to rebound & recover from the pandemic. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

That's not "the most sustainable way", that is your opinion. Some would say your position is counterproductive to the long-term success of light rail and mass transit for the city and region.

The opposing viewpoint is the most sustainable way for huge events to happen in the center city is to to not have self-inflicted wounds or perceived lack of concern by the service levels or disruptions. Maybe CATS could have more regular updates on measures being taken to recover from the pandemic era issues. Maybe CATS could post extra postings on game days or have bus bridges, special express buses, etc. Maybe post a CATS employee at a couple of the busiest stations to pass out flyers on game days on what CATS is doing to recover form the pandemic. 

But if people perceive the Light Rail to being consistently crap - fairly or not - people aren't going to ride it and the boldened portion of your post will not occur...

When people on here criticize developments, developers, CATS, etc. It's not to be negative or unreasonable... it's just advocation for things important to them. In this case, the long-term success of light rail, CATS and how to rebound & recover from the pandemic. 

• The idea of light-rail/streetcar transit riding into Uptown for large gatherings as superior to everyone driving her/his car and parking, is indeed, my opinion.  Confused by your 2nd sentence though.
  • I trust you have sent your great suggestions to CATS?  These are constructive, and superior to public-facing social media broadsides, IMO.  
  • Blue Line ridership is picking up steam on weekdays with even packed trains I've observed, but yes, I'm sure there's a contingent who think it's "consistently crap." 
  • I applaud your ideas for CATS on how to improve service delivery during this bumpy transition from global crisis, and trust that you won't be abandoning the Blue Line for all future Uptown mass gatherings?:tw_star::tw_innocent:
Edited by RANYC

I have to say… Public transit isn’t just about convenience it’s also about comprising. You give up certain things because it is better for the environment and for yourself for that matter overall (Environmental health = your health and well-being). Now, if you didn’t like the experience, don’t ride it and frankly that’s your decision to make. I will say ridership and relevance which often go hand in hand are the main indicators for how a system like CATS will work. High relevance/High ridership = more attention. If people are not willing to even try and take it consistently then it won’t be a priority. You’re not doing anyone a favor or encouraging improvement by not using it. After all though it is your decision.

Sadly to say this is not a build it and they will come mentality right now. These past few years messed that up. I try to use it as much as I reasonably can I drive 10-12 min to a park and ride and then 59 min to UNC Charlotte then a 5-7 min walk to the building…each way. I’m comprising on time and giving up driving 32 mi as opposed to 3.3 mi. I can’t deny CATS performance isn’t great, but I’ve ridden on the weekends and weekdays at different times and if you plan accordingly it should fine. It also doesn’t take more than few minutes to plan.

Most of the time there is criticism I see no valid reasons to back up the criticism. Not everything is as simple as flipping a switch to fix a problem. If it were that easy the chances of those concerns being raised would be close to nothing if that were the case. Let’s remind ourselves CATS runs a budget and it has to pay for a lot of things and pay a lot of people. There logistics to raising frequency or hiring more operators. It’s not as simple as running more vehicles (what if CATS is required to have some spare or necessary for smooth operation and the only option is to buy more). Some say pay operators more (money doesn’t just fall from the sky it has to come from the budget which is often planned to be almost all expended as is). There is so much that goes into operations that people do not think about because you’re not supposed to, but at least acknowledge the ignorance that you may or may not have. There’s ALWAYS something you are not aware of and that is a fact.

[edited]

• Thanks 2

On 3/21/2022 at 6:09 PM, RANYC said:

It isn't really a one off though. This has been a trait for games at BofA Stadium for years.  The To is fine, the Return is unpredictable. Real time tracking issues and low frequency exacerbates this.

I think it was steadily downhill after peaking near All Star Game Weekend. Need to run more trains for these events. Events create crowded transit in many places, but this just should be a bit better.

Glad to hear the Streetcar worked well for you! Mint Street stop is well located for the stadium.

14 hours ago, JeanClt said:

I have to say… Public transit isn’t just about convenience it’s also about comprising. You give up certain things because it is better for the environment and for yourself for that matter overall (Environmental health = your health and well-being). Now, if you didn’t like the experience, don’t ride it and frankly that’s your decision to make. I will say ridership and relevance which often go hand in hand are the main indicators for how a system like CATS will work. High relevance/High ridership = more attention. If people are not willing to even try and take it consistently then it won’t be a priority. You’re not doing anyone a favor or encouraging improvement by not using it. After all though it is your decision.

Sadly to say this is not a build it and they will come mentality right now. These past few years messed that up. I try to use it as much as I reasonably can I drive 10-12 min to a park and ride and then 59 min to UNC Charlotte then a 5-7 min walk to the building…each way. I’m comprising on time and giving up driving 32 mi as opposed to 3.3 mi. I can’t deny CATS performance isn’t great, but I’ve ridden on the weekends and weekdays at different times and if you plan accordingly it should fine. It also doesn’t take more than few minutes to plan.

Most of the time there is criticism I see no valid reasons to back up the criticism. Not everything is as simple as flipping a switch to fix a problem. If it were that easy the chances of those concerns being raised would be close to nothing if that were the case. Let’s remind ourselves CATS runs a budget and it has to pay for a lot of things and pay a lot of people. There logistics to raising frequency or hiring more operators. It’s not as simple as running more vehicles (what if CATS is required to have some spare or necessary for smooth operation and the only option is to buy more). Some say pay operators more (money doesn’t just fall from the sky it has to come from the budget which is often planned to be almost all expended as is). There is so much that goes into operations that people do not think about because you’re not supposed to, but at least acknowledge the ignorance that you may or may not have. There’s ALWAYS something you are not aware of and that is a fact.

[edited]

You're absolutely wrong, IMO. You and the other poster don't get mass transit, in my opinion  (and you could say I don't, I just happen to really fundamentally disagree with this statement & attitude). There is such an incredibly low amount of people who would take mass transit for the sake of being better for the environment or to support CATS or urbanity, etc. 

Do you want to save money by not having a car and insurance? Do you want to drive to a park & ride to save money from monthly Parking Deck cost? Is parking too much of a hassle downtown or will you be moving around center city where parking becomes annoying? Will you be drinking alcohol? Do you want to skip traffic in uptown (gridlock traffic uptown is so annoying vs. taking the overs street mall to your Lynx stop). Do you live convenient to mass transit to take it? Is Mass transit reliable? Does your employer subsidize the cost of mass transit? Do you want to enjoy time out with your friends and the sense of socialness of using mass transit? Does mass transit get you to where you need?  Is mass transit reliable? THOSE are the issues in which people base their decision on to take Mass Transit.

Amenities and features such as live tracking matter a lot. Live tracking helps people plan and it's really nothing that CATS could just sit around and say "oh, have some grace - Covid" - Covid is not a valid excuse to not have live-time information if it's not already there (https://gis.wmata.com/metrotrain/index.html This is my life-saver in DC right now that there is issues with the trains and frequencies are much less than normal - i'd be furious without it). Reliability, information, etc. matter. If mass transit starts to become unreliable, the parking deck cost becomes worth it. Sitting in traffic becomes worth it. 

Your whole post I just couldn't disagree with something more. And I think the rah-rah Charlotte cheerleading post that feel this need to defend CATS is more harmful to CATS than activism, being proactive, innovative, good PR, etc.  rather than rah-rah Charlotte and people thinking  Reliability and getting you to where you need to go is a compromise in taking  Rapid Mass Transit...  

I'm pretty sure most of us aren't these aloof people who just don't understand or aren't aware of what goes on behind the scenes as being portrayed...

Edit: And FYI on you using Lynx to get to your Undergrad program at UNCC. I used to take light rail from Arrowood to CTC and transfer to the North Tryon bus (until Light Rail extension opened my last semester). You know a big benefit that made me choose to also spend maybe 20-30 more minutes on mass transit? (i) Students Ride free (ii) Not having to pay for parking on campus (iii) there were days there wasn't a single parking spot on campus. Getting to campus for a spot you paid $350 or $500 per semester or whatever for and not even being able to find a spot in the surface lots and being late to class over it is crazy. That made Lynx attractive despite not being as fast as a car... That is an example of debating on the value you get from a car vs. mass transit... Not the freakin' environment. I had to get to class! (disclaimer, I care a lot about the environment) 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

You're absolutely wrong, IMO. You and the other poster don't get mass transit, in my opinion  (and you could say I don't, I just happen to really fundamentally disagree with this statement & attitude). There is such an incredibly low amount of people who would take mass transit for the sake of being better for the environment or to support CATS or urbanity, etc. 

Do you want to save money by not having a car and insurance? Do you want to drive to a park & ride to save money from monthly Parking Deck cost? Is parking too much of a hassle downtown or will you be moving around center city where parking becomes annoying? Will you be drinking alcohol? Do you want to skip traffic in uptown (gridlock traffic uptown is so annoying vs. taking the overs street mall to your Lynx stop). Do you live convenient to mass transit to take it? Is Mass transit reliable? Does your employer subsidize the cost of mass transit? Do you want to enjoy time out with your friends and the sense of socialness of using mass transit? Does mass transit get you to where you need?  Is mass transit reliable? THOSE are the issues in which people base their decision on to take Mass Transit.

Amenities and features such as live tracking matter a lot. Live tracking helps people plan and it's really nothing that CATS could just sit around and say "oh, have some grace - Covid" - Covid is not a valid excuse to not have live-time information if it's not already there (https://gis.wmata.com/metrotrain/index.html This is my life-saver in DC right now that there is issues with the trains and frequencies are much less than normal - i'd be furious without it). Reliability, information, etc. matter. If mass transit starts to become unreliable, the parking deck cost becomes worth it. Sitting in traffic becomes worth it. 

Your whole post I just couldn't disagree with something more. And I think the rah-rah Charlotte cheerleading post that feel this need to defend CATS is more harmful to CATS than activism, being proactive, innovative, good PR, etc.  rather than rah-rah Charlotte and people thinking  Reliability and getting you to where you need to go is a compromise in taking  Rapid Mass Transit...  

I'm pretty sure most of us aren't these aloof people who just don't understand or aren't aware of what goes on behind the scenes as being portrayed...

Edit: And FYI on you using Lynx to get to your Undergrad program at UNCC. I used to take light rail from Arrowood to CTC and transfer to the North Tryon bus (until Light Rail extension opened my last semester). You know a big benefit that made me choose to also spend maybe 20-30 more minutes on mass transit? (i) Students Ride free (ii) Not having to pay for parking on campus (iii) there were days there wasn't a single parking spot on campus. Getting to campus for a spot you paid $350 or $500 per semester or whatever for and not even being able to find a spot in the surface lots and being late to class over it is crazy. That made Lynx attractive despite not being as fast as a car... That is an example of debating on the value you get from a car vs. mass transit... Not the freakin' environment. I had to get to class! (disclaimer, I care a lot about the environment) 

No one is dismissing practical considerations of taking transit.  There is, however, a spectrum of ridership.  Those who must take transit, be it bus or streetcar or rail, and those who have options and need incentives and other accoutrements like employer subsidies (outside of flex spending).  

I believe JeanCLT was giving the perspective that "good citizenship" is a factor in ridership, probably for those on the ridership spectrum with options.  Not sure why the need for strident language like "you're absolutely wrong."  Just his point of view, and if he rides for the reason he stated, then it's a valid POV.  Might not be the predominant POV among choice riders, but so what.

I love how "grace" has become a trigger word for mockery:tw_lol:.   You'd think I'd used profanity.  By the way, the term "grace" was used in response to someone saying he'd never ride light rail again because of 2 Charlotte FC match experiences, a brand new pro-sports league operating in Uptown on the heels of a global pandemic.  I was proposing he not write it off so quickly.  Appears to have set you off.:tw_dissapointed_relieved: 

Edited by RANYC

Like I said I’m not saying that it’s perfect I’m saying you’re barking up the wrong tree when it comes to getting improvement.
  • Like 1

I’m glad that CATS is going to begin running the Lightrail at 15 minute intervals.  That said - last weekend the extra trains that were run prior to the Games (Soccer/Basketball) were impressive.  The after Game Rush & Lightrail service was pretty bad.  Hopefully things will get better.  One of my suggestions (this is after being stuck on a Crush Capacity Train) is for the Train to not stop/skip stations when it’s already overloaded and then arriving at a packed station.  

Edited by Hushpuppy321