Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

CATS has a real time app that is free.  The user interface is awful, but it seems to work.  I have not paid attention to the reliability, but I think Google Maps pulls from the same data source.  If that is the case, it seems pretty reliable (with no investigation).  Google Maps has been my go to for timing, particularly because you can set up arrival and departure times for work.  On Androids, the notification bar indicates the next three arriving trains automatically for the 30 min +/- the relevant time.  For example, I arrive at my office around 8:30am, so beginning at about 7:45am, my notification bar indicates the next three trains arriving at the nearest station, generally New Bern Station for me.  At about 8:45am, the notification disappears.
On problem is that the directions of the trains are described as "Outbound" and "Inbound."  This worked just fine until the extension opened.  Why in the heck would they not simply call it Northbound/UNCC or Southbound/485.?

The city really needs to publish their transit data in a publicly accessible way. Right now the only way to access it is Google Maps which is the worst one. Apple Maps is miles ahead in the transit department and dedicated apps such as Transit are even better. For some reason though CATS feels the need to silently lock their data to their crappy apps and Google Maps where cities much smaller than us have their data easily available...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CATS has a real time app that is free.  The user interface is awful, but it seems to work.  I have not paid attention to the reliability, but I think Google Maps pulls from the same data source.  If that is the case, it seems pretty reliable (with no investigation).  Google Maps has been my go to for timing, particularly because you can set up arrival and departure times for work.  On Androids, the notification bar indicates the next three arriving trains automatically for the 30 min +/- the relevant time.  For example, I arrive at my office around 8:30am, so beginning at about 7:45am, my notification bar indicates the next three trains arriving at the nearest station, generally New Bern Station for me.  At about 8:45am, the notification disappears.
On problem is that the directions of the trains are described as "Outbound" and "Inbound."  This worked just fine until the extension opened.  Why in the heck would they not simply call it Northbound/UNCC or Southbound/485.?

The city really needs to publish their transit data in a publicly accessible way. Right now the only way to access it is Google Maps which is the worst one. Apple Maps is miles ahead in the transit department and dedicated apps such as Transit are even better. For some reason though CATS feels the need to silently lock their data to their crappy apps and Google Maps where cities much smaller than us have their data easily available...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

I dunno, I go to my station, wait X minutes, and get on the train. Not much to it. 

I completely agree that is what transit ought to be. But, our system isn't quite as frequent or reliable enough for me to get to that point yet.

Today I wanted to get lunch down South blvd at Bill Spoons (not far from Tyvola station). I seriously considered the blue line, but decided against it because a) 15 minute frequencies on weekends (I think), b) unreliable schedule information, plus its a pita to look up the schedule (although I'll admit I haven't tried in a while). Given these two things it was possible that I would have a 10+ minute wait at the start of my trip and another on the return trip. That extra 20-30 minutes (I have very bad luck with wait times) was just too much for me to spend on lunch so I drove instead.

I'll check out the real time info on google, if its easy enough for this old-guy to use then it will certainly increase my non-commute trips on the blue line. But without that, 15 minute frequencies (or worse) are just too crappy when I have a variety of other mode choices.

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JacksonH said:

I think we have a generation that's completely addicted to their cell phones.  They can't do anything without their phone showing them what to do and how to do it.  They never turn the phone off.  I see it when I go to the gym every day.  I put my phone in my locker then go do my workout, but there are all these younger folks for whom it seems their phone is another body part.  They never let it go for one minute.  They can't put it away to focus on a workout (which drives me crazy because they monopolize gym equipment staring at their phone instead of working out).  They can't get in a car and go somewhere without the phone telling them how to get to their destination.  They don't have time to read books because they are spending every minute reading and sending messages on their phones.  And in many instances, they don't seem to know how to talk  to an actual human being.  You're fairly young yourself, but you are probably an exception.

Is this Hank from King of the hill? :tw_grin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Is this Hank from King of the hill? :tw_grin:

I know I sound like an old fogey, but I get really pissed off at the gym when I'm trying to get through my routine and someone is monopolizing the equipment I need, not by working out, but by just sitting there staring at a cell phone *instead of* working out.  There would be more equipment available if people would put away there friggin' phones for an hour and just work out.  You can read many articles about how the tech industry is *trying* to get people addicted to their cell phones, and they are succeeding.  People are simply addicted.  I heard about a study a few years ago where young people were separated from their cell phone for 24 hours and some started having panic attacks.  This is insane!

Every major innovation and invention has made society less self reliant.  None of us know how to live without our cars or our air conditioning, ovens, refrigerators.  If any of us were thrown back into the pioneer days, we'd probably struggle to survive.  But I think cell phone/smart phone technology, and what it's doing to people who are growing up not knowing what it's like not to have one, is taking things to a whole different level than any of these other advancements I mentioned because they are something people seem to have to be attached to 24/7.  People can't even focus on socializing with those who are in their physical presence; they're sitting in a restaurant with a human being right across the table from them, but instead of looking at that person, they are staring at their cell phone.  Very basic skills for how humans relate to one another are getting lost.

• Thanks 2

For one busses speeding, skipping stops or just sitting around doing nothing.

I work in the data industry and even if there are no really ugly things in there I can tell you everyone fights against sharing "their" data. Amazing to see that within a company over and over again let alone share to the scary public.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a few random commute observations from today:

1) the UC deck is getting fuller. It’s still much more empty than full but it is improving.

2) More UNCC employees on train today than usual (UNCC is not currently in session)

3) nothing new but the “train arriving in x minutes” announcements are worse than useless.  I sat at 36th street for 15 minutes and heard the announcement about 10 times. It was always wrong  (the three minute announcement was followed by a train exactly one minute later) and they never said which direction the next train was traveling in.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

I took the train from campus to uptown around 1 this afternoon. It left on time and actually did arrive on time, despite two or three dead stops at intersections. The car I was in was also well traveled - by Uptown, about 80% seats filled I'd guess.

Based on what I saw along the line and at the random stops, it seems like there is still a lot of punch work taking place, from fixing gates to lord-knows-what. It may have been opened, but it certainly wasn't done.

• Like 1

^I think they're trying to condition us to ignore the flashing lights and drive around the bars. I personally could watch that all day as long as no kids are in the suv. that said, I did that stupid trick after waiting for a stuck amtrak to move but at least I could see the train sitting there stopped.  :tw_unamused:

• Like 1

Special event service from JW Clay Blue Line Station for upcoming races at the Speedway

http://charlottenc.gov/cats/bus/riding-cats/Pages/CATSSpeedWeek.aspx

Ride CATS to the Monster Energy All Star Race and Coca-Cola 600

On Saturday, May 19, 2018, and Sunday, May 27, 2018, CATS will operate bus service from the LYNX Blue Line J.W. Clay Blvd. Station to Charlotte Motor Speedway for the Monster Energy All Star Race and the Coca-Cola 600.

With the opening of the LYNX Blue Line Extension, customers attending this year’s races at Charlotte Motor Speedway now have additional locations to board the light rail.  Customers can ride from any of 26 light rail stations to Charlotte MotorSpeedway, beginning at I-485/S. Blvd Station, through Uptown Charlotte to University City. Parking is available at eleven LYNX Blue Line Park and Rides.  When customers arrive at J.W. Clay Blvd. Station, please exit the station and walk across the street to the parking garage.  The bus stop for the Speedway Shuttle is located at the bus bay behind the parking garage.  Look for the bus headway sign that reads “Speedway Shuttle.”

The bus service will begin the day of the race, starting at noon, and will operate every 20 minutes until 6:00 p.m.

Fare for the LYNX Blue Line is $4.40 for a roundtrip and your ticket is valid onboard the Speedway Bus Shuttle Service.  Tickets can be purchased from self-service vending machines located at each light rail station, or from the CATS pass mobile app. Tickets can also be purchased via the CATS website. Advance ticket purchases can be mailed or picked up at the Charlotte Transportation Center by 4:00 p.m. the day of the race. 

Customers parking at University City Blvd. or J.W. Clay Blvd. parking garages must have a valid pass in order to use the park and ride. 

Passengers may bring small coolers that fit in their laps, but no eating or drinking is permitted onboard CATS trains or buses.  Pick-up and drop-off locations at the Speedway will be near the track’s entrance.  After the checkered flag, buses will line up and wait for passengers before departing back to J.W. Clay Blvd. Station.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, southslider said:

^Many parkers in University City will be surprised to learn their "Speedway Shuttle" roundtrip tickets (even multiple ones for a family) won't cover their parking.   $hitty move, CATS.

I thought parking was free on weekends

• Like 1

U City station has amazing light features with erratic lighting that I can only describe as like the lights on the NASCAR HoF or when the crown of the Vue has colored lights racing around its crown.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kermit said:

JW Clay has become a significant and consistent  trip generator.

Despite the slow speeds (the speed up I noted a couple weeks ago seems to have disappeared). I have really learned to love my BLE commute.

The overpasses give riders a view that you just don’t get driving. 

The perspective  shift from Southend to Uptown, to Indistrial strips to burbs makes me feel like I see every part of the city each day

The demographic mix of riders is remarkable and I would say unusual for Charlotte

The ability to do what I want for the trip to work (rather than drive) has been a much greater benefit than I had anticipated

Dude, I'm so glad you are back from living in the UK, and can give us such thoughtful analysis like this. :-) Keep it up

^My experience has been that the momentary stops at each "at grade" crossing from say 36th St to UNCC is what is adding to the significant delays. If the crossing arms are triggered down 30 seconds before the train reaches the crossing, what is the need for the complete stop just prior? Are they (drivers) simply anticipating a automobile drive around and being cautious or is this pre-programmed?

1 hour ago, UPNoDa said:

^My experience has been that the momentary stops at each "at grade" crossing from say 36th St to UNCC is what is adding to the significant delays. If the crossing arms are triggered down 30 seconds before the train reaches the crossing, what is the need for the complete stop just prior? Are they (drivers) simply anticipating a automobile drive around and being cautious or is this pre-programmed?

From my observations of being near the line everyday, it appears it's a timing issue. Just a hypothesis, but these trains are trying to arrive/depart around the same time (obviously to keep times consistent) but bc humans are involved, it's not always the smoothest ride. A train coming from uptown approaching the jw stop is trying to time it with the train departing uncc. Whether that means slowing your travel speed, delaying your departure from each station, or all of the above, bc humans are involved, it's never perfect. I've seen a dozen times where trains are stopped or slow arriving/stationary at stations so that they both 'arrive' at the same time. I've said previously automation would improve efficiency, but like on the lines of what Kermit stated...could it be better more efficient, yes. But, ultimately...i am happy we have the option of rail and I too enjoy the ride each time. 

Edit: in regards to the constant stopping while crossing arms are down...again I think it's a timing thing. The incoming train wants to arrive at the same time as the departing train to the platform. I don't know what is causing them to do it, but I've seen my example (timing) happen more often than not. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz