South Light Rail Transit

monsoon

This is so great! The photos are terrific! Thanks for posting...

I don't know about the rest of you but I was very happy to see the Observer do a front page report on I-485 cost overruns. The cost overruns don't make me happy; I understand that they are an integral part of big construction projects spanning many years. What's nice to see is that roads, now, are being held under the same fiscal microscope that mass transit has been for so many years. In addition, - although I hate it personally, it's great to see the real estate market responding so positively to rail lines under construction or next in the pipeline...

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if it's light rail, or just an extension of uptown price pressure, as Dilworth becomes unaffordable... But ...

Madison Park (a neighborhood of undistinctive, though generally well maintained, 1950s brick ranch homes, between Woodlawn and Tyvola) is now pushing into the $200K to even $250K range.

In my opinion, when financing gets outside of $250K (purchase price of $275K) it is beyond the affordability range of the average family. The payments come to around 40% of net income by this point.

If high density transit oriented housing comes on line that is under this value, it will be a hit.

ok. the branding of charlotte with this whole cat image is one of my pet peeves (no pun intended). i don't know who decided to turn the ship in that direction... but please, for the love dogs... enough. IMO it is one of the worst image decisions this city has opted to go down. i mean sports teams are one thing but building an identity around that is weak, weak, and weaker. this is something that has been bothering me fo along time. as someone who grew up in charlotte, my favorite symbol of the city was the OLD charlotte transit symbol... you know, the C joined with T that looked like a tree. the colors and flow of that symbol were up there as one of the best... it really meant alot to me. i will never forget the day i saw a city bus with this god awful, eighties-metal-hair-band, font reading the word CATS. at first i thought, "huh, thats cool the MUSICAL is coming to blumenthal". i was soon having sleepless nights and hitting the bottle pretty hard when i found that my beloved symbol was being replaced by a "trapper-keeper" cover.

whew.

having vented, i must admit i like the name LYNX for our light rail. as long as the font isn't ridiculous, it has a nice ring to it and double meaning.

to my old friend:

transit1.gif

Love that old logo. When is that photo from? I think I also see a sideways "S" in addition to the "C" and the "T"

the photo, i think is from mid-eighties... uptown. also, that IS a sideways "S" in the symbol... man, it had everything. look how the "C" is cradling "the circle of life".:)

i'm glad i'm not the only one who loves that logo.

ok. the branding of charlotte with this whole cat image is one of my pet peeves (no pun intended). i don't know who decided to turn the ship in that direction... but please, for the love dogs... enough. IMO it is one of the worst image decisions this city has opted to go down. ...

Indeed, thanks for posting that photo. The people running this city never saw a trend/fad they didn't like so now we have another trendy name that probably won't last 10 years. I wish the people here could call it like is, Charlotte Transit. I wonder what would happen if NYC, London, Chicago, etc renamed their transit system every 5-7 years?

There is a serious number of concrete ties delivered between Scaleybark and Woodlawn. They are starting to lay them all out now.

They've also closed down New Bern to build a new railroad crossing.

There is also a lot of work on the South - Woodlawn intersection, and the new pedestrian-refuge median near Sharon Road West.

Archived