South Light Rail Transit

monsoon

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sweet melinda, those are nice. thanks riverwood and miesian. i was driving down s. blvd the other day and saw the elevated portion of this project... wow, i could already visualize the light rail cars cruising by. something about seeing those columns in person, leaves me with a sense of awe.

Wow, I realize this is an old post, but I always thought Charlotteans believed in themselves and thier potential. Charlotte's growth far outstrips the big metros of the northeast. Charlotte will in fact soon be larger than Philadelphia, even if because of annexation. Mecklenburg will soon have over a million residents. Keep in mind that the northeastern metros are combined with others. Philly with Camden, NJ and Wilmington DE, DC with Balt., and New York with Newark, NJ, Stamford, CT, Long Island, etc. Charlotte's metro has nearly doubled and went from 7 counties to 13. It's growth will probably make it larger than at least some of these before too much longer. One day Charlotte will be combined with Columbia, SC and perhaps Hickory and Greeneville-Spartanbur. Image that! Can they run transit that far?? I don't think there will ever be a reduction in traffic in the USA until the US population growth slows, and that isn't going to happen anytime soon. It will only get worse and worse, regardless of how many transit systems are installed or expanded. The USA could have a population of over a billion by the end of the century. Our teeming cities will be just as crowded as modern day China. I'm not sure if we should be excited or scared.

I'm pretty sure we're not going to be as crowded as China. We've a lot less mountainous land, so we don't have to all crowd along a few river valleys.

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/epdtx...ansWin06pgs.pdf

A new South corridor newsletter is posted with information about budget cuts, and the art on the project. It also has a write up of TOD in SouthEnd.

These large TOD projects will likely start in the next year:

HHHunt - Replaces truck distribution hub with 290 rental units

Citiline - Replaces asphalt plant with 250-400 residential units

Scaleybark Station RFP - Replace warehouse and low density office with a potential for up to 500 units

Crescent - Replaces vacant brownfield lot with 420 residential units and mixed uses

Also there are many other small TOD projects, like the Lofts Dilworht, etc. http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/13770490.htm

I suspect part of the cost savings was found by putting residential sidewalks on only one side of the street. The illustrations originally posted on CATs website showed more sidewalk in the existing neighborhoods, than the mentioned "completed" projects in the newsletter really have. There were also paint dots on both sides of the street in people's yards, while the work was going on.

I am glad to hear confirmation that the bonded distribution place across from Home Economist will be redeveloped. That thing is seriously ugly.

Thats a shame about the pedestrian bridge over 277. Sorry Atlrvr, gotta make the trek to college street.

But otherwise, great news on all the TOD. I wonder how much change we will see farther down the line (past tyvola) where the demographic is much different right now.

Yeah.....I'm pretty bent over that bridge.....walking along College is a death wish (though I love how they make it sound like the popular route in the newsletter), I'll forgive them ONLY if they go ahead and extend Euclid to Davidson in the next two years, but that's not going to happen.

I thought they were still going to do that bridge as part of the city sidewalks program. It even alludes to that in the newsletter.

I still think that sidewalk should be a lower priority than projects like the South Blvd Interchange realignment and all that, but it is still pretty important.

You made my jump when you wrote two years on the Davidson-Euclid connector, but then I read on. I agree it won't happen any time soon, but I sure wish it would. That is especially needed with the soon-to-be-added density around Royal Court.

I've been loosely involved with the South Blvd Interchange redo, and I think things are going well--only a few hurdles left. If NASCAR picks Charlotte, then I believe funding is a go ($11M economic development grant from state). I think the ped bridge would be nice, but it looks like it was value-engineered-out of the plans. South Blvd will provide a great ped connection in from Uptown to SE.

Awesome pics, BTW. Things are progressing nicely.

They are putting up the big girders over Tyvola tonight. I snapped these on the way home, around 10pm. I have no tripod so I had to set the camera on something to take them, most were too blurry to post. I have to go back out to work later so I'll try to take some more pics on the way home.

2-4-06003.jpg

2-4-06004.jpg

2-4-06008.jpg

2-4-06012.jpg

2-4-06014.jpg

Very cool Mo! They definitely upstage mine... but here are some I took earlier today:

VMF from New Bern Station

55139090-L.jpg

Skyline from New Bern Station

55139106-L.jpg

VMF

55139137-L.jpg

55139144-L.jpg

Clanton Intersection

55139194-L.jpg

55139194-L.jpg

55139199-L.jpg

Woodlawn Station

55139148-L.jpg

Tyvola Station

55139153-L.jpg

55139156-L.jpg

55139158-L.jpg

55139160-L.jpg

55139162-L.jpg

55139163-L.jpg

55139166-L.jpg

55139172-L.jpg

55139177-L.jpg

Skyline from Tyvola Bridge

55139168-L.jpg

One heck of a stump

55139182-L.jpg

55139189-L.jpg

I'm surprised the skyline isn't more prominant from the top of the Tyvola bridge. Those embankments seem pretty high, looking at them from the street... Actually riding in the LRV, could increase eye level few feet higher though.

Nice pics! Why did they have to tear down that tree in someone's yard? Is the LRV going through there?

:lol: I think that was just a random pic.

As far as the tyvola I beams, they have one set all the way accross. The other three only make it about half way. I must say, its impressive looking though.

Archived