The Montgomery Building

Spartan

This is fantastic news!

My only concern with this project is what happens on the ground floor. I'd love to know more about how they will incorporate retail, how it will relate to the street, and what they plan to do with the Carolina Theater (my thought is something like this). The fact that there will be retail as a part of this is huge, but the sidewalks on Church and St John still suck big time. I hope there is a plan to improve those eventually.

I too like Spartan am concerned about the ground floor. To make the ground floor attractive, it seems to me that the sidewalk would have to be widened, but I don't think that is possible due to it being Church Street. Maybe you could make all the entrances to the retail part be on the back of the building and just have glass on the front, but no way to get it. If you see what you like, you'll find a way to get in.

If you are going to convert the old theatre into a performance theatre like in Spartan's link, it had better be not loud and invasive as this will piss off the folks in the apartments, especially late at night.

Overall a good concept, I just hope there is not a ton of toxic crap in the building.

Church Street sidewalks are going to get a makeover, but not likely to be widened as state DOT won't allow it. St. John Street, on the other hand, could see those sidewalks widened. 

Retail plan is very good — includes a major anchor restaurant space and several smaller retail spaces perfectly sized for smaller cafes/boutiques. 

A couple of things being worked on for the theater, but nothing definite for now, and likely won't be before the project starts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mainonmain said:

Church Street sidewalks are going to get a makeover, but not likely to be widened as state DOT won't allow it. St. John Street, on the other hand, could see those sidewalks widened. 

Retail plan is very good — includes a major anchor restaurant space and several smaller retail spaces perfectly sized for smaller cafes/boutiques. 

A couple of things being worked on for the theater, but nothing definite for now, and likely won't be before the project starts.

Regarding the theater, I have always wondered if it was part of the original building or added later.  Anyone know?

I only saw one movie there, probably around 1970 or 71.  The theater has been closed for 40 years or so. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the theater, since people were wondering. While looking at the MB Facebook page, I saw a link to a WSPA video which explained that the Palmetto Trust would take possession of the theater once the renovation deal closes.  They would then raise money to renovate it.  They already have a grant lined up to help in that effort.  Good to hear.

roads-scholar, the theater was there from the start (1924).  It filled the large-performance-space vacuum that had existed since the Harris Theater (adjacent to old HBJ bldg across St. John) closed due to structural issues in 1920.  If you want more info on MB theater's history and that of all of Spartanburg's theaters, check out the fantastic book "Magical Places".

hub-city, the Kennedy Room in the Library actually has all the original engineering drawings of the MB.  I've looked through them.  Really cool stuff.  Most of the retail spots are really small, so I assume the developers might combine a couple for a larger space (like for a restaurant).  The main hallway goes behind the retail spaces between the 2 entrances (w/access to the retail spaces), creating an arcade of sorts.

Edited by westsider28

This project now has a website http://www.themontgomerybuilding.com/.  Lots of good info on there, but not much new.  Though, there is a PDF with more info on the retail spaces.  Here's the floor plan.  I presume the large space along St. John would likely be a restaurant.

MB retail setup.JPG

**Edit: I saw in the paper this morning that this project will go before the DRB on Tuesday, May 3 at 5:30 pm.

Edited by westsider28
Adding some info
  • Like 2

I went to the DRB meeting about the Montgomery Building.  Here are some pictures from the meeting (EDIT: here's the H-J story).  The most interesting thing (that I didn't realize) is that the facade is not limestone (though that was originally planned) but precast concrete.  That's extremely rare; it's one of the only buildings in the US from that era with that type of facade.  But the facade has been evaluated by several architects/engineers (including a prominent one from Charleston) and found to be compromised.  So (this is what they've been working on as it relates to historic restoration standards and tax credits) developers are planning to totally replace the facade.  They're making casts of parts of the original facade to replicate them.  I walked by the building, and they've already made a sample:

IMG_0843.JPG

Edited by westsider28
Link to H-J article
  • Like 1

Concrete makes a lot of sense. Older pictures show the building as a bright white, and I always wondered why it 'yellowed.' I figured it was just lack of maintenance, but concrete tends to turn that color over time. I know I'm usually a stickler for accurate historical building restoration, but in this case I wouldn't mind if they just used limestone. Either way, I'm glad they are going to restore this building. This is a HUGE win for Spartanburg.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure when this happened, but I noticed today that the replicated cornice and capital have been added, completing the sample section.  Compare to the original capital on the left. Looks great.  I don't think there's going to be much movement here until the end of summer, when they're supposed to get confirmation from the state & feds on historic tax credits.

IMG_1029.JPG

Of course there's an article a day after I post. :rolleyes:  Anyway, the developer plans to complete the purchase of the building September 22nd, with renovation work starting soon after.  As mentioned, they're working through approvals with regards to historic tax credits.  It appears to be confirmed now that the 2nd floor of the building will be 10,000 sq ft of office space.  The developer mentioned he was leaning toward office space instead of apartments for that floor at the DRB meeting.  So that means 72 units of apartments on floors 3-10.

• 2 months later...

Check out the agenda packet for next Monday's City Council meeting for some interesting updates on the Montgomery Building..   there are some proposed incentives largely relating to streetscaping, but also to parking and other incentives that are being proposed.  

http://www.cityofspartanburg.org/cms_assets/CityCouncilMinutes/8.22.16.Agenda Packet.pdf

• Like 1

And, City Council approved the development agreement unanimously this evening.  Pending final approval at their next meeting, this looks like it's really going to happen.  Parking, a plaza, streetscaping, a second building in the next few years, a historic property tax abatement, and it all adds up to a $25 million renovation of one of the city's iconic buildings.  It's a major win both for economic development downtown and for historic preservation in the city - something that hasn't often happened in downtown.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sparkleman said:

The 1 question I have is: Is 25 million going to be enough money for this project?

Any particular reason you say this?

I'm sure the developer did his due diligence on the building. If he's willing to move forward, I'm confident that he knows how much money it will take. I'm sure he's included some contingency as well. I don't think this is his first rodeo.

If you need further evidence: the AC Hotel is ~$20 million for a 10-story new building, plus site grading. Drayton Mills renovation was ~$35 million for significantly more units (289 vs 72) in 2 buildings (1 of them older than the MB)--which is more unit framing, more plumbing hookups, appliances, etc--as well as site grading & parking lot paving, which the MB doesn't need.

Edited by westsider28

I too am pretty sure the developer has done his due diligence in this but the MB is a total sh*thole compared to Drayton Mill which was built like a tank and yes I have been in both (the mill plenty of times).

Renovation is almost always more expensive than a new building. I figure most of the MB is not up to code, so a lot of the hook ups, framing, electrical, etc. will have to be torn out and replaced. Another factor is the HVAC system at MB consisted of window style A/C units, so all of this ill be new construction as well.

I am not saying it cannot be done for 25 mil (and I hope its that or even less), just that I certainly won't be surprised if they run into cost overruns due to the current state of the building.

• 1 month later...