The Montgomery Building

Spartan

1 hour ago, sptgguy said:

So the city needs to look at its codes and mandate that parking lots go in the back and buildings be closer to the streets. Its something that they should have done long ago. It will up the feeling of density. Toss in landscaped medians and more sidewalk landscaping...it would create a better feeling overall. 

Um, the existing Urban Code requires buildings at the street and rear parking for DT-5 and DT-6, so we already have that.  Street trees are required (though SCDOT can overrule on their roads).  DT-5 has minimum 12ft streetscape zone (min 8ft sidewalk + tree area), DT-6 has a 16ft minimum width.  I am hoping that the form-based code will expand further (at least to several major corridors) in the future zoning update.

454834439_UrbanCodemap.thumb.jpg.a1a8e1844af2c98cd0ff24517b68dde0.jpg

Edited by westsider28
Added link to Downtown Code

3 hours ago, sptgguy said:

So the city needs to look at its codes and mandate that parking lots go in the back and buildings be closer to the streets. Its something that they should have done long ago. It will up the feeling of density. Toss in landscaped medians and more sidewalk landscaping...it would create a better feeling overall. 

I haven't looked at it in a while but it seems to me that codes like this will be a lot easier once the new Comprehensive plan is in place that focuses on multipurpose density in the city

3 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Um, the existing Urban Code requires buildings at the street and rear parking for DT-5 and DT-6, so we already have that.  Street trees are required (though SCDOT can overrule on their roads).  DT-5 has minimum 12ft streetscape zone (min 8ft sidewalk + tree area), DT-6 has a 16ft minimum width.  I am hoping that the form-based code will expand further (at least to several major corridors) in the future zoning update.

454834439_UrbanCodemap.thumb.jpg.a1a8e1844af2c98cd0ff24517b68dde0.jpg

Thanks for the details. I was aware that they were in place but not to that level. Guess the real issue is we need more new buildings/developments. I agree...the city needs to apply these codes to the major arteries. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 6:25 PM, westsider28 said:

I'm a huge road-diet advocate and I'd love to see Church Street narrowed, but it seems unlikely within our lifetimes.  It's pretty much the only direct North-South route east of I-26.  It connects Boiling Springs and Roebuck, two fast-growing areas.  It's heavily-traveled through downtown every weekday evening (and morning, probably).  Short of a bypass loop and/or massive transit expansion, I see no scenario where it can be narrowed.  There aren't really any existing reasonable alternative routes.

I think our best bet is stuff like @sptgguysuggested.  In addition to landscaped medians, I'd like to see leading pedestrian signals (throughout downtown actually) and no right-on-red at intersections.  We need more street trees, too (which SCDOT hates).  At least any new developments along the corridor downtown will be required to have wide sidewalks.

To bring it back to the Montgomery Building, it was a unique situation with an existing building being boxed-in, whereas a new building would have wider sidewalks.  I wonder if the St John sidewalk could be widened by shifting St John a few feet south when the HBJ lot gets developed?

The issue is lack of political will. There's no technical reason that it can't be done, there's just a lack of people demanding that it be done. 

On 2/23/2023 at 3:33 PM, sptgguy said:

Thanks for the details. I was aware that they were in place but not to that level. Guess the real issue is we need more new buildings/developments. I agree...the city needs to apply these codes to the major arteries. 

Yep. The code only works when new buildings come in. Cities evolve slowly - but you can already see a difference in the quality of the newer products (see Northside/N Church St)

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 11:12 AM, Sparkleman said:

We need some of you guys on the DRB or planning boards

I'm the chair of the planning commission...  An d I know at least one other planning commissioner is on this group...   City residents can seek appointment to PC, BZA, and HARB, and someone with "significant interest" in downtown can be on DRB - though I am sure city council would prefer city residents.  

I'm hoping for a rewrite of the zoning ordinance that should start after the comprehensive plan is approved, though I am sad that I will likely term off of the planning commission before it really gets too far along.  The comp plan took longer than we expected.  

I do like the idea of the leading walk...  that's not anything within one of the planning board's purview.  Maybe the bike-ped commission could push for it.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Seems like the MB owners are looking for outside developers for the Carolina Theatre.  I just found this for-lease listing on Colliers.  The 19k SF space is advertised as "perfect for an entertainment venue, concert hall, specialty retail, hospitality, or office space" (please not office).  "The property owner is willing to participate in necessary renovations to make the right tenant’s vision a reality."  Anyone know someone looking to operate a music venue?

On 7/13/2023 at 12:45 AM, westsider28 said:

Seems like the MB owners are looking for outside developers for the Carolina Theatre.  I just found this for-lease listing on Colliers.  The 19k SF space is advertised as "perfect for an entertainment venue, concert hall, specialty retail, hospitality, or office space" (please not office).  "The property owner is willing to participate in necessary renovations to make the right tenant’s vision a reality."  Anyone know someone looking to operate a music venue?

So no e-sports arena, it seems? Would have been great for tourism!

On 7/19/2023 at 11:07 AM, hub-city said:

Looks like all of the Internal Affairs Art gallery signs are gone from the windows and the space is vacant.    Don't know if it was just a short term lease or what.  I do hope they find something better....

I thought I saw an article where another restaurant was going in, but I haven't seen any more information on that since.

• 9 months later...

Saw a notice in the paper that The Zeplin, LLC applied for a license/permit for sale and ON premises consumption of beer, wine, & liquor at 187 N. Church St., Ste. A (former Sidewall Pizza space, I'm pretty sure).  The LLC is registered to Joe Clarke, a chef who formerly owned American Grocery and currently runs Vault & Vator in Greenville.  Seems like this could be an exciting new restaurant offering.

• Like 2