Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

On the contrary, it is a very good thing that they are pushing for a more academic community use for the building. They have the power players to potentially make it happen. The goal is to get it in a state of repair and use, and programming can expand from there.

The 'exciting' uses are not really going to happen for this theater. The Knight and Music Factory fills the gaps that people used to think Carolina Theater would fill. Having this as a lecture hall with flexibility for community events might actually allow for it to evolve over time.

As for development, maybe they can get Camden back for some of the original plans (pre-Encore high end condo idea) but adjusted for the current apartment boom. The power players at Foundation for the Carolinas could potentially grease the wheels for funding for the building as apartments, and can help fill some funding gaps for the theater renovation with some non-profit investments.

I sure hope they can make it happen.

Because they need private developer's involvement too. The non-profit idea is that the use of the theater itself doesn't need to be profitable, but it seems they are trying to re-involve Camden because they need some sort of development to happen on the corner parcel to help make it happen.

• 2 months later...

Today's CBJ is reporting on the Foundation for the Carolina's plan for the Carolina Theatre site. Their pitch to the city is for the Foundation to take posestion of the parcel (for $1) and they will create a pocket park on the vacant space in time for the DNC and preserve (not renovate) the theatre. There is some discussion of longer term plans but none sounded substantive enough to reproduce here.

The park is a great idea -- something that should have been done two years ago. That said, I do fear this plan could doom the site to be underutilized for many years to come.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2012/06/22/foundation-makes-theatre-pitch.html

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a little behind on this project. Has Pursuit's option on the land expired? I'd rather see Foundation for the Carolina's take this site over with its plan.

And from a speculative approach, I think this location is a great opportunity. It's be awesome if someone was to renovate and preserve the theatre, yet turn it into a museum for early era film and live theatre. Focusing nationally, but with an emphasis on regional plays and films. Particularly with Charlotte and NC's growing film industry, I think it'd be a nice draw.

• Like 2

Is there a designated NC Film museum? I know Wilmington has one of the largest film studios in the country. With the increasing popularity of the state for major blockbusters, it would seem appropriate to acknowledge the history. And with the death of Andy Griffith, it could certainly play a role in memorializng such natives who have forged great Hollywood careers.

I think it's a great idea.

That actually would be pretty cool. Could probably have some functional connection to the Light Factory & Spirit Square. Always thought that little "plaza" where Encore was to be built would be a neat spot to do movie screenings on the side of the building, ala Cinema Paradiso.

If it were in better shape, I would not like it to be a museum. I don't know how much money it would take to bring it back to it's original look. It seems every city has managed to save at least one theater from that golden age of theaters. This place is our only chance. I would love Charlotte to have one as well. I have been to several in other cities and they are marvelous. One in particular that I liked, was the Akron Civic Theater. It had a Romanesque style and the ceiling had moving clouds. I think the Fox in Atlanta has that as well. I think they were built by the same company. Please don't make it a pocket park. I know it's sat there for a very long time, well at least since 1984 when I moved to Charlotte. It is somewhat an eyesore and I understand that it really is time for something to happen. What is up with all the weird posts about scripts. A very bizarre weekend.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/07/19/3390979/north-tryon-street-to-get-pocket.html

I'm glad the asphalt will be a more people friendly plaza/pocket park. It is just such a shame that the old facades that had been kept for so long are now gone. I'm skeptical that they'll be included in final designs of a project once all the dust has settled. But who knows, maybe with Foundation for the Carolinas involved, there will be a little more altruism applied.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/08/16/3459890/tug-of-war-starts-over-carolina.html

Hopefully a little competition isn't just a matter of getting control but then sitting on it, but rather something that will make it actually happen. It is a huge shame that the theater was let to deteriorate in the first place, but it is a beautiful space that has potential if restored.

I tend to favor the Foundation for the Carolinas in this, as they are heavy hitters and non-profit use is probably the most viable use for the theater anyway, as it has been bypassed often as a space for performances, especially by the brand new Knight theater.

Among the other concerns of council members is what officially qualifies as “renovation” of the theater. Both the foundation and CMP said the theater, which opened in 1927, is far too deteriorated for historic preservation.

Carolina Theatre Preservation Society agrees it will be challenging and expensive to do a pain-staking restoration. But the group would like to see what remains restored as much possible to look like an old theater.

This quote is from the article that dubone posted. I call BS on that. You can restore just about anything if you're willing to invest the time and resources to do it, granted that some of it may need to be a replica. I'm glad that they have the mindset to at least try to get it back to a "theater" in terms of function.

I would love to see it restored in such a way that it could be used like the Fox Theatre in Atlanta. A place that has character would do well in Charlotte.

This quote is from the article that dubone posted. I call BS on that. You can restore just about anything if you're willing to invest the time and resources to do it, granted that some of it may need to be a replica. I'm glad that they have the mindset to at least try to get it back to a "theater" in terms of function.

I would love to see it restored in such a way that it could be used like the Fox Theatre in Atlanta. A place that has character would do well in Charlotte.

As I understand it the back of the theater no longer exists due to City Fair and Hearst Tower construction. It sounds like any true theater use is off the table, hence FFTC's intent on gearing it more towards speaking events that don't require much of a backstage.

from what I can tell, the fly house is still there, so they could make it work as a theater. in Knoxville, the back wall of the stunning Tennessee Theater (renovated ten-ish years ago) is the back wall of the stage, and is incidentally cantilevered over a city street. could take some creative scheming, but it can be done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^Great photos. I've heard from several sources who have been inside that it's in "really bad shape." So I was expecting to be able to see serious structural damage. But from these photos I'm wondering if the most damage is cosmetic (?). The finishes and details look pretty bad, but you can tell that they trust the major structures still (enough to allow City Council to walk around on the levels). Every other photo I had seen made it look like Detroit's Packard Plant or something. I could see The Carolina Theater becoming something like this: Byrd Theatre Richmond.

Has anyone been inside who can give their take on this?

It has serious potential, primarily with some paint and plaster, and with some basic effort of adding seating and other core amenities. It seems to me to be a no brainer to do at least a minimal restoration to get it back in service. Obviously, we are all well aware that it cannot be used for theatrical performances because the stage is now fairly shallow and there is no back stage anymore. But for university lectures and civic events that have just a few speakers to the audience, it is very reasonable to expect that it has a use. The gravitas of being in a historic theater is powerful, and will be useful for many of the events you could see going there. It does not need to be a full restoration, as long as they follow the motto 'first, do no harm'. Obviously the reliefs and ornaments are either still there or have been saved, and it really does not cost that much to put them back up.

I am seriously rooting for the Foundation for the Carolinas. They have significant philanthropic connections, and I believe will be able to find a niche for programming the theater with events that will be worthwhile for the community. This will obviously not compete with Knight Theater or Filmore or Neighborhood theater. But it would be a very good thing if we end up with some UNCC (or WFBS or JCSmith or Charlotte School of Law) classes permanently added. Speeches by lecturers would be excellent uses for the building. Beyond that, as not for profit, it could maybe support artists or other shows that may not be able to succeed in other venues. Plus, I suspect that once it has its renovation solved, it actually would end up being a valuable part of Blumenthal programming.

I should say, though, that it is a shame that for the group of supporters of the restoration of the theater, that there has not been a club of volunteers in there over the last 30 years slowly restoring or maintaining the interior. I know the big work is expensive, but why couldn't they have had some scaffolding in there and some volunteers slowly restoring it? They did that with the old trolley, and I'm sure there are MORE people nostalgic about this theater than about the trolleys.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly as great as Foundations for the Carolinas has been in the past, this seems to be a great option. Neither the Foundation nor Noah Lazes have any immediate plans for the lot and the latter means an extra $500k. I wonder if Noah's plan for the theater would require more in grants from the city?

Edited by carolinagarnet

Lazes was a big part of turning Carolina Theater into City Fair, which took the restoration backwards. I know he has an interest in it, but I wonder now whether it would be competition to his own Music Factory. BUT it would be awesome if he uses his newfound success at booking NCMF and uses Carolina Theatre as part of that mix.