Redevelopment of the Kimbrells Building

gs3

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard that work on the Carolina Ale House will start with in a couple of weeks. Harper will be using the west side of the Peacock site for a temporary staging area.

I walked by today and notice hard-hatted workers inside going over plan drawings. Looks like initial work has begun already.

I walked by today and notice hard-hatted workers inside going over plan drawings. Looks like initial work has begun already.

Fantastic! I'm excited about the offering of a retractable roof! Plus, this block's east side could use the injection on investment! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

I visited the area of the Kembrell's building on Wednesday. Work is moving along well, although not much evidence is visible from Main Street. Work crews have set up an office trailer on the Peacock site and much of the work is being staged from there, as you can see in this photo I snapped through the gate opening in the fence on Falls Street:

P7280113.JPG

Workers are gutting and cleaning both the first and second floors, and there was a small backhoe digging in the area of the loading dock when I visited:

P7280115.JPG

I had hoped that the use of the Peacock site for work staging would preclude having to disrupt pedestrian traffic on Main Street, but I found the sidewalk in front of the building fenced off nevertheless:

P7280118.JPG

[This is my first attempt at uploading pictures to the forum, so I hope I've done it right.]

Can we get a collective "FINALLY"? This should be an interesting place considering its inevitable future affect on the surrounding area. Hopefully we will also see signs of progress at the other nearby prime locations mentioned several times in this forum.

Agreed. If not, hopefully they'd paint "Carolina Ale House" in a similar, simple form to maintain the 'feel'.

The Kimbrell's brand had no loyal following....no public affection. This is one sign, if painted over, IMO, is no big loss. I like your idea of painting Carolina Ale House, much better than keeping the Kimbrell's sign.....the Kimbrell's sign just has no historic or emotional value.

The Kimbrell's brand had no loyal following....no public affection. This is one sign, if painted over, IMO, is no big loss. I like your idea of painting Carolina Ale House, much better than keeping the Kimbrell's sign.....the Kimbrell's sign just has no historic or emotional value.

In my opinion, the best case for its removal is the fact that the company still exists elsewhere in town and the sign would continue to give them free advertising in downtown, even after they vacated the facility.

A portion of the McBee Ave facade and roof has been knocked out to make room for the new windows and retractable roof. :thumbsup:

Saw that Saturday afternoon. This is really a fun project. Looking forward to drinks with the view from the windows. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

For those who haven't been downtown to see the progress on the Carolina Ale House refit of the old Kimbrell building, here are some photos I took today from the sixth-floor parking deck of the Bookends building.

The first gives a sense of the overall scale of the project.

IMG_3923.jpg

The second gives a better view of the structural changes to the upper floor that will allow for the retractable glass roof, where two panels appear to be in place already in the upper tracks.

IMG_3924.jpg

The next photo below shows clearly how the adjacent Peacock property is being used for staging much of the construction.

IMG_3927.jpg

In the street-level views you can see inside the open front. If you ignore the temporary wood framing, you can see how the first-floor entrance will be set back to allow for covered outdoor seating, similar to Cantinflas but much wider and with a more open-air feeling.

IMG_3935.jpg

Here you can see changes to the facade and window openings on the second floor and through to the open roof. This is going to be spectacular. At the bottom of the picture you can see a rendering of the finished building showing the glass roof in the closed position.

IMG_3936.jpg

• 2 months later...

And, so far at least, they have retained the old Kimbrell's signage on the rear-facing wall, thus honoring the link to the past.

Owner Chris Sullivan purchased the property from The Spinx Company earlier this fall for $1.3 million, or $99 per square foot, according to CoStar Group (http://www.costar.com/News/Article/Carolina-Ale-House-Comes-to-Greenville/123916?ref=1&src=rss). The article also reported that Sullivan planned to open the Carolina Ale House in December.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived