Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

On 9/29/2023 at 9:40 PM, KJHburg said:

this was supposed to be a Throwback Thursday post but I forgot.   Photo of the skyline from KJ's Vault of Old Postcards. 

Late 1970s as the Charlotte Plaza is missing and that was completed in 1982.  Notice the 4 story warehouse on N College where Holiday Inn old Wake Forest center is today.  Many buildings lost and many added since this vintage postcard I purchased probably at Eckerds! (they always had great postcards)

Who remembers this Charlotte?  

20230928_212905.jpg

One of my earliest memories, probably around 1962, was when my dad rented some space in that old warehouse.  I also rmember when they dug the foundation for that old merchandise mart on the left on College, which didn't seem to stay very long after it was built. The reason I remember was because the pit for it was full of really ancient timbers from some bygone era. I'm assuming an old cotton landing station from the mid 19th century. And, I cannot forgive the old Charlotte Observer for writing editorial after editorial bemoaning the loss of history in the city while they themselves bulldozed several blocks themselves for the site where that brutalist building was, as well as the really old Charlotte News building that had been on 1st or 2nd Street.  Anyway, my dad used to laugh at our history.  Born in 1925, he used to laugh and say repeatedly, "What history.  Maybe I should be in a museum."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

These photos highlight one of my pet peeves with the skyline.  There is almost no gradual build up of dense, mid-rise density leading up to it.  It's like it is simply a suburban landscape, albeit somewhat tightly packed, and then bam, towers.  We're starting to get some of that with South End leading into Uptown, but I just want to see more of it from all sides because I find it odd that you can practically see 30 and 40 story towers from the fifth floor up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, go_vertical said:

These photos highlight one of my pet peeves with the skyline.  There is almost no gradual build up of dense, mid-rise density leading up to it.  It's like it is simply a suburban landscape, albeit somewhat tightly packed, and then bam, towers.  We're starting to get some of that with South End leading into Uptown, but I just want to see more of it from all sides because I find it odd that you can practically see 30 and 40 story towers from the fifth floor up.

It’s especially glaring looking from the north into uptown. Don’t see it changing anytime soon on that end either. 

• Like 2

On 9/29/2023 at 2:40 PM, KJHburg said:

this was supposed to be a Throwback Thursday post but I forgot.   Photo of the skyline from KJ's Vault of Old Postcards. 

Late 1970s as the Charlotte Plaza is missing and that was completed in 1982.  Notice the 4 story warehouse on N College where Holiday Inn old Wake Forest center is today.  Many buildings lost and many added since this vintage postcard I purchased probably at Eckerds! (they always had great postcards)

Who remembers this Charlotte?  

20230928_212905.jpg

Does anyone know if the city needed the office space when the NCNB, Jefferson Pilot, and Wachovia towers were built in the early 70s???  Or were they vanity projects like the Bank of America Corporate Center.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Larry Singer said:

These are great pictures. I wish that they were taken during the week at lunch time when the sidewalks look crowded. It looks like we are under a bomb scare and everyone is hiding in the subways. And yes, there are no subways. 

Exactly. If I were just planing on coming through town as a visitor, I'd be afraid to walk around there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry Singer said:

These are great pictures. I wish that they were taken during the week at lunch time when the sidewalks look crowded. It looks like we are under a bomb scare and everyone is hiding in the subways. And yes, there are no subways. 

I do often think a lot of the pictures here have sadly very few pedestrians walking around. Charlotte is making great strides in walkability and reasons for wanting to walk around in the urban core, but it should be understood that there is a ways to go and that progress needs to continue for a long while. More density is good, continued development of transit is good, and also I think we need a lot more street level retail that gets people interested and walking around. In cities with tons of pedestrians constantly downtown, it feels like every building has something interesting at street level.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

I do often think a lot of the pictures here have sadly very few pedestrians walking around. Charlotte is making great strides in walkability and reasons for wanting to walk around in the urban core, but it should be understood that there is a ways to go and that progress needs to continue for a long while. More density is good, continued development of transit is good, and also I think we need a lot more street level retail that gets people interested and walking around. In cities with tons of pedestrians constantly downtown, it feels like every building has something interesting at street level.

All cities have their quiet periods when most people are working. I was just thinking that a photo taken at lunchtime when everyone is out walking would be a good time. But, street level shops would be helpful. Unfortunately with cost of renting spaces today and with ordering by phone, it is really hard on shop owners to sustain businesses. 

• Like 2