Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

On 7/31/2020 at 12:45 PM, Matthew.Brendan said:

Decades to build a light rail light and modest expansion with true commuter rail no where in sight.

Sure Charlotte will continue to grow, especially once the great migration from the coast really starts, but we are way behind on infrastructure as is, let alone what another million+ people will look like.

What great migration from the coast??

• Haha 1

New developments in Miami include pumps to deal with the flooding as is, here today. Also the "not in my lifetime" attitude is largely what allows the predicament we are in (of nearly complete unpreparedness) to continue. If you look back at the last 10, 20, 30 years the same thing is said time and time again "Things are changing faster than our models predicted." There are over 21 million people in the state of Florida, with the vast majority on the coast line. Fun fact, Florida has almost twice as much coastline as California. To keep things in perspective. Move up the coast a bit, to Savannah, Charleston, and countless small coastal towns. When people start to move inland, if you think Atlanta and Charlotte won't be top destinations in the southeast well, I dunno what else to say. Of course, that's just like, my opinion man.

3 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

New developments in Miami include pumps to deal with the flooding as is, here today. Also the "not in my lifetime" attitude is largely what allows the predicament we are in (of nearly complete unpreparedness) to continue. If you look back at the last 10, 20, 30 years the same thing is said time and time again "Things are changing faster than our models predicted." There are over 21 million people in the state of Florida, with the vast majority on the coast line. Fun fact, Florida has almost twice as much coastline as California. To keep things in perspective. Move up the coast a bit, to Savannah, Charleston, and countless small coastal towns. When people start to move inland, if you think Atlanta and Charlotte won't be top destinations in the southeast well, I dunno what else to say. Of course, that's just like, my opinion man.

I’m guess this was directed to me indirectly, but I agree with your point that Charlotte and Atlanta will be top destination, because look at the reality, they’ve been top moving destinations for decades and not due to rising sea levels.  But My main point was  “in our lifetime” I don’t see anything of that sudden magnitude, that would be considered another “great migration” becuase a great migration is a huge number of people leaving one area to extremely populate another. Like how millions of people, mostly Blacks left the South to work in the industrial industry in the North in the mid 1900s. And the seas are rising at the rate of inches every few years  so again, it’s not like people are literally running for their lives on feet. That’s my opinion. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, j-man said:

What great migration from the coast??

There’s been some discussion on here and in recently published articles detailing a possible withdrawal of some major companies from larger cities (East & West Coasts), more expensive cities and cities heavily impacted by the Pandemic to smaller Cities like Charlotte, Nashville, etc. that have lower costs of living and some better measure of ability to social distance.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

There’s been some discussion on here and in recently published articles detailing a possible withdrawal of some major companies from larger cities (East & West Coasts), more expensive cities and cities heavily impacted by the Pandemic to smaller Cities like Charlotte, Nashville, etc. that have lower costs of living and some better measure of ability to social distance.

Yeah but that’s not due to sea level rising ... and that was my whole point I disagreed with him about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, j-man said:

Yeah but that’s not due to sea level rising ... and that was my whole point I disagreed with him about. 

Over the next few decades, the seas will rise. How much they will is still under debate and uncertain. However the high tides will be compounded by an overall increase in levels. A 2 inch rise could result in an additional foot of high tide. Ask Charleston that regularly floods the historic district these days during standard high tide.

These facts coupled with coastal erosion and stronger/more frequent tropical activity will cause the cost of living on the coast to skyrocket. They're already seeing it with massive hurricane insursnce increases over the last couple of decades. And with the sea level rising, it's "infecting" the freshwater that is pulled from in wells to provide water to the coastal communities.

It doesn't matter if Miami has pumps or even dikes to save them from rising levels, their drinking water is already in severe danger of contamination.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

Over the next few decades, the seas will rise. How much they will is still under debate and uncertain. However the high tides will be compounded by an overall increase in levels. A 2 inch rise could result in an additional foot of high tide. Ask Charleston that regularly floods the historic district these days during standard high tide.

These facts coupled with coastal erosion and stronger/more frequent tropical activity will cause the cost of living on the coast to skyrocket. They're already seeing it with massive hurricane insursnce increases over the last couple of decades. And with the sea level rising, it's "infecting" the freshwater that is pulled from in wells to provide water to the coastal communities.

It doesn't matter if Miami has pumps or even dikes to save them from rising levels, their drinking water is already in severe danger of contamination.

Im originally from the Charleston area so none of what you’re saying is news to me. I don’t knew what you’re trying to prove but all I said was that I wouldn’t consider a gradual slow moving of people over the course of decades on to be considered a great migration, and especially because of sea levels rising. Sure have some people moved, but Its for sure not just because of sea level rising. Great migrations are when people drastically move to an area in a short amount of time not decades on down. And that’s my whole point. 

• Like 1