Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

If you ripped out the 277 interchange with Independence, a natural "river walk" would be un-capped.  Plus, filling this gap would instantly expand the popular Little Sugar Creek Greenway from CPCC to Cordelia Park.

If worried about traffic, the Belk Freeway could still link Stonewall / Kenilworth / Charlottetowne, and transition to a boulevard up to 3rd / 4th.  The Brookshire could similarly transition to a multi-way boulevard along 11th / 12th.  Independence could still retain its bridges to 6th / 4th.  Basically, each freeway could start and end on a different edge of Uptown-- Belk (South), Brookshire (North), Independence (East), instead of cutting off Uptown from MIdtown, Elizabeth, Belmont and Optimist Park.

We need a more original idea if we are going for a capital works project.  Caps on freeways, river walks; it's ALL be done.  I've got an idea for you, say it with me, "monorail....monorail"!  

The only other cities I'm aware of that have one are Ogdenville and North Haverbrook....and look how great they are doing.  Shout it with me "MONORAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Like 1

We need a more original idea if we are going for a capital works project.  Caps on freeways, river walks; it's ALL be done.  I've got an idea for you, say it with me, "monorail....monorail"!  

The only other cities I'm aware of that have one are Ogdenville and North Haverbrook....and look how great they are doing.  Shout it with me "MONORAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

very interesting Idea! I know Charleston, SC was looking into monorails for its metro area.  I don't think they are ready for something like that. It is expensive though and its the second most expensive rail option after subways. However, Charlotte has the resources and leadership unlike many communities to put a plan like this together. The more modern monorails don't look touristy like at Disney World and most now days operate without anyone operating them. I think its a no brainer to have monorail connecting downtown Charlotte with Charlotte Douglas Airport and South Park. In fact the first line should be a downtown/airport connector. People traveling to Charlotte on business would get from the airport to downtown in no time. They are very fast and because they are elevated, there are no issues with vehicle traffic at rail crossings. I do know a number of cities in Europe and Asia have monorails

Edited by cityboi

I think being insanely expensive is the predominant issue.

This is what I don't understand. Why?  Minimal land aquisition. No re-routing of streets, ect. Even Carowinds built their own. The feature I like most about them is the ability to use the land beneath them. While our light rail already had a rail corridor in place, had there not been one we would have the same divisions between neighborhoods that freeways create.

Sure wish Bruton Smith had been take seriously when he offered 50 million dollars of his own money towards one that went out to his speedway. (Mid 90's I believe)

A monorail from Charlotte Douglas Airport to downtown could be doable but such a project would clearly need federal dollars. A number of cities such as Detroit, Seattle and Las Vegas have them. I do think it would be too costly for an entire system all over town.

airport monorail in Detroit. Imagine a similar monorail from Charlotte's airport terminal going inside of the Charlotte Convention Center and Time Warner Cable arena. That could clearly be used as a marketing tool to attract very large events such as the Democratic National Convention.

Detroit-airport-monorail-920x360.jpg

Edited by cityboi

This is what I don't understand. Why?  Minimal land aquisition. No re-routing of streets, ect. Even Carowinds built their own. The feature I like most about them is the ability to use the land beneath them. While our light rail already had a rail corridor in place, had there not been one we would have the same divisions between neighborhoods that freeways create.

Sure wish Bruton Smith had been take seriously when he offered 50 million dollars of his own money towards one that went out to his speedway. (Mid 90's I believe)

By it's nature, you're talking about building an incredibly long bridge. Just adding a few over-street bridges on the blue line ballooned the cost considerably. On-grade construction takes a fraction of the steel and concrete, doesn't require cranes, etc. 

Most monorails (Tokyo's line to Odaiba is a notable exception) have small/short vehicles that limit capacity, but also limit the structural requirements. 

btw the idea of a monorail in Charlotte isnt new. There was a proposal for a monorail connecting the race track with downtown. I still believe a downtown/airport monorail is a better idea and a cheaper alternative because of the distance. Charlotte Douglas is one of the most busiest airports in the United States and because of business travelers, an airport/downtown monorail would have higher ridership as oppose to a monorail connecting Charlotte Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Hall of Fame. There are only so many races a year and after dismal attendance figures at the hall of fame, that would not be a good idea. I think a hundred years from now when the technology is cheaper, monorails may be common in most medium sized to large cities. There would be zero passenger rail collisions with automobiles and it would good for the environment. There may even be monorail systems in the future that connect cities within a state. Maybe that will be the future of Amtrak in 2113. Most of us will be dead and gone by then.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2005/05/23/daily22.html

Edited by cityboi

I have an idea. How about a landmark observation tower with a restaurant and other entertainment establishments on top in downtown Charlotte? The airport/downtown monorail could stop at the base. Wasn't there some sort of vision for one in the 90's? It could look sleek like the rendering below or maybe look like a queen scepter as a symbol for the Queen City. Many major cities have an identifiable landmark structure such as the St Louis arch or the Golden Gate Bridge. Charlotte should have one. Ideas like these would help change the perception of Charlotte.

5270aead95dcea7ed446f6c4c0a9797a.jpg

Edited by cityboi

We've had discussions on observation towers here before. When you get up high past a certain point there is actually less and less to see, due to our heavy tree cover making the inner ring neighborhoods practically invisible, and not much nearby geography to look at. If we could just get a few more buildings with publicly-accessible rooftops, I think thats preferable and less gimmicky. An observation tower would definitely get tourists to go up once, but it just doesn't seem genuine to me for Charlotte and where we're at right now, and I think we have dozens of better ways to spend that kind of money at this time.

I've asked before but have never gotten an answer. What's the highest publicly accessible spot in the city? To the best of my knowledge, none of the towers have an observation deck/floor?

There's Bentley's on 27 on the top floor of the Charlotte Plaza Building. They have a nice bar if you don't feel like a pricey dinner - just go grab a drink. There is also Urban Sip, a fancy whiskey and wine bar on the 15th floor of the Ritz Carlton. Aside from those two and the Charlotte City Club (private urban "country club") on the 31st and 32nd floor of the Interstate Tower, I don't think there are any others. I think Bentley's is a must-do for anyone in Charlotte Great views from up there, and you really don't need to go any higher since as previously mentioned, past downtown itself, there's not much to see because of all the trees.

I do hope that the Vue opens their 53rd floor lounge up to the public. Right now it's just for residents and guests.

isnt Grand Father Mountain visible from Charlotte's skyscrapers?

This is something I've often wondered because I can see 2 distinct ridge lines from my balcony on a clear day and during most sunsets when they are backlit (and I'm only 20 floors up).  Using google earth and other tools, the best I can figure is the most prominent ridge line is Mt. Mitchell and the other mountains that it shares a line with.  And the other is Grandfather, Calloway, the other peaks they share a ridge line with.  Now, whether we see those mountains or the peaks in front of them, I don't know?  But being that those two ridge lines are the tallest I'm making that assumption.  Check them out on Google maps using the terrain layer or on Google Earth.

On a clear day you don't need to be any higher then 10 floors up to see either of those so I'm sure most of the public spots have a clear view of this.  This time of year, the one I think is Mt Mitchell is right where the sun sets.  If I can get a pic in the next couple days I'll post.

Our money is better spent subsidizing small business in the bottom of office/residential towers, building public parking decks with retail in the bottom, re-gridding, investing in East/West Charlotte, investing in NoDa, Plaza, Midtown, Morehead street area has A ton of potential.

If Anythig we need an aquarium or zoo. If our region can support several zoo's, surely there is room for Charlotte to have an aquarium. I feel like we could draw from the carolinas where ATL always seemed to me to be the place for Alabama and surrounding deep south states.

My point is Portland. As beautiful as the Portland geography is, close to the beach, etc. one thing that Portland is known for is it's transit, walkability, etc.

I want CLT to become a destination because of its vibrant, quirky, dense neighborhoods where one can go car-less and each urban 'hood feel unique with weird shopping etc. an uptown that feels like a huge, dense & tall city.

Not an observation tower. We need to focus on building our entire city. An observation tower does nothing for the city and a river walk wouldn't be nearly as an impact as transit or regridding.

IMO, besides the usual suspects (Plaza, SouthEnd//Park, No, & Mid.) Morehead has sooooo much frickin potential to be a major part of the city. I'd like to see that corner of 3rd as well as 4th ward better integrated into central uptown.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

I do think there should be more downtown attractions that draw people from other cities and states. A major aquarium on par with Atlanta's aquarium is a start. A Pepsi museum is an idea. Georgia has a Coca Cola museum and Pepsi was invented in North Carolina. Even though it wasn't founded in Charlotte, Charlotte would be the best place for a museum like that. An urban zoo would be great and I would also like to see an entertainment district that could have one or two amusement rides like an indoor coaster and a ferris wheel similar to what some other cities around the world have done. Downtown should serve as an entertainment and tourist destination for all ages and not just the 21 years or older bar crowd. There are some family attractions such as Discovery Place and the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

I have an idea. How about a landmark observation tower with a restaurant and other entertainment establishments on top in downtown Charlotte? The airport/downtown monorail could stop at the base. Wasn't there some sort of vision for one in the 90's? It could look sleek like the rendering below or maybe look like a queen scepter as a symbol for the Queen City. Many major cities have an identifiable landmark structure such as the St Louis arch or the Golden Gate Bridge. Charlotte should have one. Ideas like these would help change the perception of Charlotte.

An observation deck would be interesting, but only if it is done extremely well. They could take a page out of what the new World Trade Center is doing, and use the deck for dining, live events, and a souvenir shop. Maybe even use telescopes pointing at various locations and landmarks, along with descriptions of the aforementioned places (for neighborhoods, landmarks, cities/towns, attractions, etc.). I also think it would be successful, given the fact that there wouldn't be anything comparable to it in the Carolinas. Such an idea could be feasible, if we get another skyscraper built in uptown similar in height to the Duke Energy building or Bank of America Corporate Center, and the developer considers using the top floor as a deck, and allows the city or a private company to operate it. Maybe an idea for that "transformative" project in uptown? I know the rumors are that it won't be as big as the Duke or BoA tower, but it would still be a pretty nice view, especially since it would be facing SouthEnd (as well as the Kings Mountain range, which would be viewable even at that height). Just ideas...