Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

I'm pretty solid with geography, but w/o looking I couldn't tell you where Santa Catarina or Belo Horizante are located. Guayaquil I'll guess and say Eduador. I think its their largest city, in front of the capital Quito, but I may be wrong. The other two, no clue. But I'm intrigued now....

I'll be honest and admit that I didn't know if Charlotte was North or South Carolina until I moved here. I have many friends in New York who still get confused.

I don't accept this as an indictment of U.S. education so much as like the Dakotas, most people just think "Carolinas"

I am bringing a customer into town from Singapore and went on the Singapore Airlines website to search for a ticket. I thought it was funny that CLT was listed as "Charlotte Douglas Municipal Airport." It's the only airport in the whole list that got that designation of "Municipal." This guy probably thinks he's flying into podunk, USA. Hopefully he will be pleasantly surprised.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For a reason that I'll hopefully be able to reveal soon, I'm trying to generate a list of "objects" that would speak to the culture and history of Charlotte/the Charlotte region

Some ideas so far are:

• Car Engine (as opposed to a full stockcar - the objects need to be manageable in scale)
  • Moonshine Still
  • Mine Cart
  • Pick Axe
  • Rocking Chair
  • Loom
  • Spinning Jenny
  • Quilt
  • Banjo
  • Train wheel assembly
  • Rail ties
  • Propeller
  • Drying tobacco bundle
  • ???

What else can y'all think of? I realized typing out this list that I could probably just run over to the Levine Museum and walk their collection to find ideas.

For a reason that I'll hopefully be able to reveal soon, I'm trying to generate a list of "objects" that would speak to the culture and history of Charlotte/the Charlotte region

Some ideas so far are:

• Car Engine (as opposed to a full stockcar - the objects need to be manageable in scale)
  • Moonshine Still
  • Mine Cart
  • Pick Axe
  • Rocking Chair
  • Loom
  • Spinning Jenny
  • Quilt
  • Banjo
  • Train wheel assembly
  • Rail ties
  • Propeller
  • Drying tobacco bundle
  • ???

What else can y'all think of? I realized typing out this list that I could probably just run over to the Levine Museum and walk their collection to find ideas.

meckDec10.gif

Depending on your definition of history, it'd be pretty tough to ignore something to do with finance or banking. It's pretty much defined and sculpted this city since the late 60's. Maybe a bank note or coin? Also regardless of religious beliefs, the influence of Christianity and churches in the city is prominent. Maybe a cross? Good luck!

Tobacco wasn't much a part of Charlotte history. This area was cotton-->textiles.

You may get ideas from a quick visit to Levine Museum of the New South.

Maybe since the city formed as a trading post on two longstanding indian trails, you could use an object settlers would have traded with indians in the 1700s.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The "State of Well-Being" index for 2011 has been released. http://www.well-beingindex.com/files/2011CompositeReport.pdf

My takeaway is that NC has happy cities, but is pretty iffy state-wide. The state itself ranks in the middle at #30.

Charlotte metro came in at #5 in the large cities rankings, behind San Jose, DC, San Francisco and Minneapolis. Raleigh-Cary comes in right behind at #6. Durham ranks #9 on the mid-size cities index.

• 1 month later...

tozmervo, on 23 January 2012 - 10:44 AM, said: For a reason that I'll hopefully be able to reveal soon, I'm trying to generate a list of "objects" that would speak to the culture and history of Charlotte/the Charlotte region

Some ideas so far are:

You should have a coin minted in Charlotte...

Edited by archiham04

The Pitch on AMC is a reality show profiling two advertising compaines. The primier featured BooneOakley (office is in an old car dealership building on Summit st in Wilmore / Southend) and contrasted them with a NYC firm. The did a pretty good job of presenting Charlotte as reasonably urban in comparison to NYC, although the images of Charlotte were relatively one dimensional. While the NYC footage ventured beyond the offices of the firm, in Charlotte they really just showed the offices and the same basic skyline shot of the city.

Despite an ocasional cringe (Bojaingles hats and church visits mostly) it was really nice to see Charlotte presented as something other than Southern, NASCAR or Banking.

Edited by kermit

Great article. Love the ending:

What gripes the power players in Charlotte is that the letters N.C. stick to the city like a rash in the datelines of out-of-state newspapers and on national broadcasts. The idea that somebody doesn't know where Charlotte is, that it could be confused with Charleston, S.C., or Charlottesville, Va. -- well, it's just unfathomable to McColl, and if it takes a political convention to finally change that, then that's worth the effort.

I love both of those articles. This may seem crazy, maybe its the work, coffee and booze talking....but I think we are about to make a turn. It's been a rough couple years since 2008, but something is happening in Charlotte. The DNC is kind of this weird signal that we are making a comeback in a big way. Even our sports teams have this odd new hope about them, like it couldn't get any worse and everything is looking up.

I hope I'm right and not just crazy. Even better would be a combination of the two.

• Like 1

Just when you think things can't get any worse, you read something like this:

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/05/nc-pastor-wants-to-build-electrified-fence-to-contain-starve-and-ultimately-kill-gays-video.html

I know it is not Perception of Charlotte, but this reflects on the whole state. And the blog this came from is pretty well read all over. This coming from a Christian! Really! A Christian!

I am posting this in a couple threads because I know I don't read all of and assume others do not as well.

Not sure if anyone has been watching, but I have a fiance and this is the nature of my world....

The Bachelorette (the one that has been filming in Charlotte) is in full swing on ABC now. The one last night did a good job of showcasing the city. It really makes it seem a) large enough to be a city but b) still small enough to have some southern charm and neighborhood feel. There was a part when she went to NC Music Factory and talked about how Charlotte is still a small town because so many people showed up to watch her eat dinner (which kind of irked me) but otherwise I felt ABC was doing Charlotte well.

Hopefully it continues. It looks like in the next episode they are repelling down the side of the Mint Museum.

Oh, they also did a fundraiser for the Levine Children's Hospital.