Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

"Interesting piece of info here. Uptown Charlotte is the nation's #4 destination for Labor Day weekend this year according to Priceline.com. I think it can largely be attributed to the ECU/USC game at B of A Stadium on Sept 3rd. But still kind of cool never-the-less.

http://www.bizjourna...-labor-day.html"

I see Savannah, GA made the list for Labor Day Weekend, no doubt because I am getting married in Savannah in Chippewa Square Labor Day Weekend, COME CRASH IT PEOPLE!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

The Washington Post has a nice piece on the rise of Charlotte's energy cluster: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/with-electricity-firms-investment-charlotte-looks-to-become-energy-capital/2011/09/06/gIQAzBzGFK_story_1.html

[after discussion of Bank of America's current struggles...] Meanwhile, since 2007 Charlotte has announced about 5,600 new energy-related jobs, taking the total to roughly 27,000 at 250 energy-oriented firms, according to economic development officials. About 2,000 energy jobs were added in 2010, with another 765 this year.

The NC House yesterday (and likely, the NC Senate today) decided to tell the world that our state is backward-thinking.

It will now be up to voters (and even a greater challenge, since the vote has been moved to May 2012) to counter the General Assembly's misguided message.

Hopefully, there is a massive campaign to retain and repair the national perception that North Carolina embodies the spirit of the New South.

The NC House yesterday (and likely, the NC Senate today) decided to tell the world that our state is backward-thinking.

It will now be up to voters (and even a greater challenge, since the vote has been moved to May 2012) to counter the General Assembly's misguided message.

Hopefully, there is a massive campaign to retain and repair the national perception that North Carolina embodies the spirit of the New South.

d.

I have many close friends in Toronto and one of them mentioned it to me today on Facebook. They couldn't believe something like this was still going on as it's basically considered a civil rights issue in Canada. I was honestly ashamed.

Edited by ah59396

If I can add a few glimmers of hope to the whole marriage amendment issue, I advise you to read this article by Public Policy Polling. This organization leans a bit left, but generally does a decent job with it's polling of various issues. Even if you are opposed to gay marriage, this is certainly not the time to bring this kind of legislation to the ballot box. Of course if you ask me, civil rights should never be up for a vote.

Here is the link: http://www.publicpol...-amendment.html

Edited by abttown
  • Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well that's actually encouraging!

In all honestly, regardless of your personal opinions, I think we can all agree that there are a lot of more pertinent topics our state government should be focusing on, rather than scapegoating the homosexual community again. You know, like that jobs thing. Or that economy I keep hearing so much about.

The whole city rankings thing has become laughable to me. I'm not dogging Raleigh for being at the top spot of this particular ranking, but how can you give a list any real credit when it rates Honolulu at #3? Have those people ever BEEN there? Anyone who travels to Hawaii knows to avoid going there. It's infested with crime.

A ranking from a magazine won't deterred me from considering my own personal experiences of some cities. However I see the amount of restaurants is a factor in the ranking, did they include fast food and chain restaurants? Then to me that ranking is moot, fast food does not make quality of life in a city any greater. Night life doesn't seem to be a major factor either, night life is more than just bars and there are other elements that makes a city fun.

• 1 month later...

I'm posting the story of the opening of this campus from the Boston Globe. Notice all the Charlotte, NC references and the lack of state names for the other cities mentioned. I actually emailed the reporter about it (too much time on my hands waiting on trick-or-treaters tonight). The story is here.

Holy crap!!!

I was watching fox news commercials and I heard "the city of Charlotte is building.g an energy efficient city....." and it caught my attention fast. I watch they are showing pictures of individual skyscrapers then shows the full skyline calling.g Charlotte an energy efficient.t city of the future. I think it was Verizon.

It was very prominent of Charlotte (no NC tag). I had no idea what the commercial was about other than praising Charlotte. And it was on national television. I think it was Verizon.

I saw this same commercial a few days ago. Not sure if it only shows in this area or if it's national. I can't remember which channel I was watching when I saw this. What's pretty cool (for me anyway) is that I didn't think it was a big deal. Here's the youtube upload from verizon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-RCOQx7ti8

Edited by abttown

I'm posting the story of the opening of this campus from the Boston Globe. Notice all the Charlotte, NC references and the lack of state names for the other cities mentioned. I actually emailed the reporter about it (too much time on my hands waiting on trick-or-treaters tonight). The story is here.

Most people outside the Southeast don't know what state Charlotte is in. People back home all the time ask me how I am doing in "South Carolina".

Most people outside the Southeast don't know what state Charlotte is in. People back home all the time ask me how I am doing in "South Carolina".

I've never met a single person that didn't know where Charlotte was. I'm sure they exist, I've just never met one. Virtually anyone in the NE has a family member or friend that has moved to the Carolinas.

I hear people talk about Charlotte often here in DC when I'm out on the street or in restaurants/bars.

• Like 1

Well, sounds like most people where you are from don't know basic geography. When I was elementary school, I could tell you where Charlotte was just as easily as I could Little Rock, Nashville or anywhere else. Along with most every kid my age at the time. And I'm not even originally from the Southeast.

Edited by dbull75

Honestly the school systems dont teach geography anymore. when I was in elementary school, I didnt even need to memorize the states and the state capitals! I always hear people telling me how they had to meorize the states and their capitals, but I never had to.

Even people in VA often are confused or dont know what state CHarlotte is. A lot of people in NoVA confuse it with Charlottesville.

Agreed. Most people where I am from confuse Charlotte with Charleston, SC for some reason. I got bombarded with texts and calls during Hurricane Irene asking if I was okay when in fact we didn't even get a drop of rainfall in Charlotte. Charlotte, while truly is a great place to live and work, is but a pass-through city for most people so it really isn't on their radar. Cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami, etc are all destination cities.

Edited by bchris02

Honestly the school systems dont teach geography anymore. when I was in elementary school, I didnt even need to memorize the states and the state capitals! I always hear people telling me how they had to meorize the states and their capitals, but I never had to.

Well, I don't want to venture too far off topic like we have already, but it's a shame that school systems don't teach this anymore. And I'm really not that far removed from being in school (graduated college in late 90s). I remember states, their capitals and various cities just being drilled into our brains. Maybe I'm just old fashioned in my 30s now :)

Edited by dbull75

People also don't know which state Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, pheonix, Denver, Boise, etc. Arelocated. They could tell you where Nashville, Memphis, Charlottesville, Columbia, myrtle beach, Tampa, buffalo, etc. Are from around here.

I know geography very well and could point out on a map where 16 cities in Florida are located alone along with Cali and Texas. Along with countries, provinces, and cities in Europe.

People that don't know where Charlotte is located probably doesn't know where Santa catarina, Marseille, Bucharest, Zurich, Auckland, belo horizante, Ottawa, Guayaquil, Mumbai, etc. Are located or even exist...